Thread: [EU3]Divine Reality

Default [EU3]Divine Reality

Intro So I got EU3's latest expansion pack, Divine Wind. I figured I'd give it my classic Eastern Roman Empire run.

Some info about the game:

Playing on Normal.
    Lucky Nations are Random.
    Expansion of Sea and Land provinces is 50 years.
    Inflation is set to none. (That's because you can only have one of each type of advisor, and I'm a bit scared to try a game without being able to have three Masters of Mint.)
    Playing as the Eastern Roman Empire. (aka, Byzantium.)

Starting Date: 1409

Objective: To get the achievement "Basileus" (In the Grand Campaign, restore the Byzantine Empire to it's historic borders.)

I will also be posting any other achievements I get.

Current Achievements

Until Death Do Us Apart (Enter into a Royal Marriage)
    That's a Grand Army (Build your army up to your countries maximum army forcelimit.)

Setup
    Expect this to be a little dry. I wasn't thinking of making an AAR when I started, but the chapters should get more interesting.
    I started the game with the provinces Thrace, Macedonia, Larissa, Kozani, and Macedonia.
    I entered into an alliance with Milan, and Wallachia.
    I had a war with the Ottomans, in which I took Erdine, Silistria, and I think it's Borgas. Well, whatever that last coastal province is. I'll check it when I play again.

Chapter 1
    In 1417, Anatolia looked like this:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

However, that was all about to change. I declared war on the Ottomans, again. With the help of my Wallachian allies, I marched into Bulgaria, and stormed the walls. At the same time, I funded Patriot rebels in Athens, and it overthrew it's cruel oppressors and joined my glorious Empire. I then maneuvered my fleet into the narrow straits between Bythnia and Konstantinoplis. Victory was certain, and Nis fell to my glorious armies as well. Then began the conquest of Anatolia. Wallachia helped, and things went well at first. I took Bithynia, and attacked an army of 14000 Turks. Fortune was with them however, and I lost the battle, with 6 thousand casualties, (reducing my numbers to 10,000) and they only lost 2,000 men. It was only a minor setback however, for I soon gained 7 thousand reinforcements, and marched on Bursa, leaving the Ottomans futilely besieging Bythnia. My troops took Bursa, and were preparing to engage the Turks, when the war took another turn for the worse. Algeria declared war, with an Alliance Casus Belli. My fleet lost two Carracks in the naval battle that ensued, and I was cut off. Eager to end the war, I offered peace demanding both Nis and Bulgaria, and it was granted.
    Spoiler for Empire at the end of Chapter 1
    Last edited by Bolkonsky; December 16, 2010 at 09:44 PM.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Default [EU3]Divine Reality - Chapter 2

Chapter 2 Years had passed since the last war. My country was strong, stable, and economically flourishing. Still though, in a meeting with the Patricians, they informed me that we were taking much criticism from Georgia, and other Eastern countries, as well as some Italian countries, for not reclaiming our lands. They falsely accused me of just wanting to stabilize the country, and reap the harvests, caring only for myself, and not the Empire.

These accusations were, of course, false. I would give anything for my nation, but I was afraid that our troops and citizens wouldn't. This pressure to go to war, however, were enough to change my mind on the matter, and in Anno Domini 1427, we went to war.

19,000 brave troops crossed the waters, under the leadership of Strategos Argyros. He engaged and fought Sultan Piri, the Ottoman's main general, and defeated him, not withstanding heavy casualties, though.

Several thousand Algerians raided Morea, and a small militia of 3,000 outnumbered soldiers repelled thousands of invaders, including some of the mighty Mamluk army. We could not extend naval support to keep these enemies from landing, because we needed to save our navy should any Ottomans attack Thrace. I met with much criticism because of this decision, but my faith in our soldiers paid off, and many heroes were born protecting their homelands!

Meanwhile, our soldiers were in good health, (and supply) and the war against the Ottomans came to a halt, when they awarded our Wallachian allies Bithynia and Anatolia, while we took Yazgod and Angora.

Veni Vidi Vici!

Things then took a turn for the worse. Karaman entered the war, and we were dealing with rebellion issues. Just when I thought I would be forced to cede our recent gains, the fantastic Patricians and Strategos' came up with an interesting solution to current issues of manpower, and funding. It had some downsides, but I did what was necessary to save the Empire!

Karaman hastily came to their senses now that I had 15,000 extra troops.

Now I faced yet another difficult decision. The Mamluk bastards still wouldn't strike a deal. They wanted us to release Morea to act as their puppet in the Balkans, and we were smarter. I was running out of resources, and had to raise war taxes. Now a blasted idiot, and traitor the empire got a huge amount of the populace riled up, and they stormed the city of Konstantinoplis, and tried to take it by force.

The taxes didn't cut it after all, and we hit deficits. The outraged Patricians demanded that we make peace at all cost, even if it meant admitting defeat. They really annoy me sometimes. What more has a Roman than his honor?! Still though, I need their votes to pass funding laws. An emperor I am not! More like a puppet! A tool! That will not be the case for my son, though!

In the meantime, I appeased them by disbanding some troops, and gaining additional tax land in Naxos. Venice took over their administration recently, and outlawed orthodoxy. They revolted, and drove the arrogant Italians off their land, but knew they would never be able to keep them off. So they turned to me. After weeks of careful negotiations, and spying on Venice's administrative meetings, we determined war could be avoided if they defected to the Empire! I welcome our brethren back warmly, and they repayed by offering 4,000 royalty free troops to Rome!

Until the next entry, I will leave you with these maps of our glorious Eastern Roman Empire!

Last edited by Bolkonsky; December 16, 2010 at 09:06 PM.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Default Re: [EU3]Divine Reality

Very nice job!

Default Chapter 3

Thanks!

Chapter 3
    Chapter 3

Nine years have passed. Nine years of economic prosperity, of good commerce, of bountiful food, of re-population, and most of all, nine years of peace.

As it happens, however, the Patricians were clamoring for more land, and more tax money. They had trained five spies, and proposed we send them into Achea, to try and stir up patriots. It would be a costly adventure, but, they explained, we had a good amount of money in the treasury. Well what is the point of spending money to get more money, when we already have enough? Doesn't it even out in the end? Then they played the manpower card, and won me over. The extra five thousand citizens would be beneficial should we come to bad terms with the Ottomans, plus it would connect Morea to the Empire, once more.

However, their expensive proposition didn't pay off, as the spies were almost immediately found and executed. All that happened was a loss of revenue, men, and relations.

I funded a private venture in Janina, however, and it started off quite successfully.

Meanwhile, our generals are adapting to new techniques. Not quite as glorious as the old Roman ways, but still, I think I used the word old. These are new times, and with new times, come new tactics. Mark my words, we'll all be using that newfangled gunpowder sooner or later. Heaven help us.

As for my plan in Janinia, it wasn't patriot, it was National. A new country has formed, and hopefully a new vassal as well!

However, my final word has come now. I had a vision when I was a boy. A vision of returning the Roman Empire to a mere fraction of what it used to be. To awaken our troops. To get the ball rolling, so to speak, and to sacrifice everything for my people, and my country.

Now I'm on my deathbed, I feel fulfilled. I've done more than that. We have holdings in Turkey again. We are a feared nation. We have allies. We are powerful, and more than that. We are a God-Fearing, and God-Loving nation, here only to pit ourselves against the infidels, and save all of the world.

Goodbye my sweet nation. I would quote Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar" but he's not born yet, so I can't. Farewell, and Godspeed!

Today, I was crowned. Some idiot rebels tried to kill me in the process, but I've found out who they are. Traitors in the patricians. Traitors the Empire. Suffice it to say their wives are now mine, and they're hanging in a gibbet outside the gates. Mercy is something for the weak, that my father suffered from. Nothing but an affliction. If the Empire is to ever restore itself, there is no place for mercy on the table.

My first act was to declare war on Smyrna. We conquered them quickly, as well as dragged the Ottomans into the war, along with Karaman, and some other obscure infidel nation no one has ever cared about.

Things are going well in the war.

Our armies crushed the opposition, (with the help of our Wallachian allies) and we soon had victory over Candar and Karaman. A minor war, a short casualty list, but good results. A fine way to gain favor with the people. And as we know, favor means power.

We had to give the Wallachians more of Asia Minor, but that's going to end as soon as I declare war on those idiots. They've done nothing but get in the way, and my father, God rest his soul, was foolish to trust them. The Empire is for Romans, not for barbarians!

I'll be back when pieces of the ERE fall into place, and then I shall be hailed as a true hero!

AussieGuy's Avatar Campidoctor

Nice work! +rep

What does divine reality add?
    Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    AG is Jesus, that's why.

Its actully divine wind, it adds some huge awsome graphics, more depth for trading, and for the first time.....ACHIVEMENTS!.....and ofcourse there are lots more, the game really needed this

ArkocentoArisen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

First Divene wind AAr ive seen Nice job man plus rep
    Look, Some words