Thread: Consciousness and inner-self! how d'ya see it?

Default Consciousness and inner-self! how d'ya see it?

Consciousness – of us and ‘god’ – is there a universal consciousness?
    The inner-self universal self and non-self.
    If we go beyond the descriptive universe and thence beyond notions of the self, then we are simply the undescribed self. The way I see it is like Brahman [personified god] is the universal consciousness, and we of the singular or epicentral. So we are like the 1 of 1 – the nature of oneness in singularity rather than like Brahman is the nature of one in its opposite context. So I would take away all the descriptions and see both Brahma and we as we are in simplicity/actuality. The thing is that we can sense self – when we meet each other for instance, yet if Brahman was self in the same context then we would not have to question his existence as he would be ever-present to us! Thus the infinite or universal self that is represented by Brahman is not the same. Perhaps we are condensed consciousness and Brahma uncondensed, that is – we are centralised [epicentral] where as Brahman is decentralised and expansive, thus we don’t generally feel him as we feel another self/consciousness because he belongs to the emptiness of the void. Beyond consciousness there is the ‘nature’ of the void i.e. the form of nirvana – if I may, so perhaps Brahma is this and Brahman is the universal consciousness and personification thereof!

But is this a solid state or can we move between conscious states as is inferred in the journey of the soul. There again we always move beyond our description finding ourselves to be ‘something other than’! or is it that we literally are consciousness but this can take many forms.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Saint-Germain's Avatar Comte

O...kay.

Wow. I can't anwer your question, but I've got a couple about your post. Is Brahma the personified form of Brahman in this? I got conflicting impressions...
    Erm, just thought I'd say that I've always (well, since I heard of Brahman) equated it somewhat with the Christian concept of the Holy Spirit...
    Wait, or is Brahman the non-self? I'm confused... Better term for the non-self would be Shiva, surely (keeping the Hindu theme).

Most religions imply a mpvement between concious states, though, be it Nirvana, the ecstasy of 'being in the sight of God' in heaven, or whatever...

Okay, I'll just leave you to your philosophical musings, shall I?
    né Menander
    Under the covetous wing of Ozymandias
    Patronizing my favourite (not so) little guy, Turbo

"With this weather, it might as well be Thursday..."

Is Brahma the personified form of Brahman in this?
    Yes exactly. I am only using a Hindu theme so as to use familiar ideas - at least to some. If I used Freudian terminology then we would go a different direction altogether.

I don’t mind if you continue with your own ideas – that’s what I put the thread here for. It is interesting how we can flow between conscious states and that all our descriptions seam to add layers to the simple truth of what we are. Consider this: we can tell if we are near another consciousness yet we cannot sense god? Thus universal consciousness is not apparent to us – if it is real then why?

thanx for reply!
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Saint-Germain's Avatar Comte

Hey, no problem! There are some times when you really don't feel like seriously debating - more like having a discussion...

Anyway, do you have a link to this "universal consciousness" theory, or am I going to have to use Wikipedia?

I read through your first post again and understood it all! And I'm not even stoned or anything! Moving on, perhaps we cannot sense Brahman in that way because, as you said, although Brahman is the Universal Self, it is not self (personality) as we sense it in other people. Perhaps your 'decentralised self' comparison is a better one to use, with Brahma being the personification of it...

Maybe Brahman is, in fact, the means by which we can sense Self in others - a facilitator rather than a Self in its own right.
    né Menander
    Under the covetous wing of Ozymandias
    Patronizing my favourite (not so) little guy, Turbo

"With this weather, it might as well be Thursday..."