Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Reasons to become an Athiest

Default Reasons to become an Athiest

Religious people get enough crap here, time for Darth Wong to get payback

Becoming an atheist is a really easy thing to do. And it's fun! Just look at all these advantages:

When you die, you die for REAL - not like those wimpy "immortal soul" types.
    You can take offense at EVERY religious holiday!
    You get a 20 percent discount on your wireless phone plan.
    You'll be considered "intelligent," even if you're not.
    If you feel all alone in the world and think that nobody loves or cares about you, you're right!
    You can make fun of religious people, which is hilarious.
    You avoid all religious persecution! Score!
    You can be a monkey's nephew.
    You can marry people of other races.
    You have no basis for moral indignation other than "because I felt like it."
    You believe that life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are inalienable rights given by Thomas Jefferson, who's now dead.
    Your dogma is taught in public schools using tax money paid mostly by Christians.
    You'll have no purpose in your life, except maybe having sex and getting drunk.
    You get to believe everything in every non-religious book ever written!
    You believe that male nipples are worthless by-products and not, in fact, what makes us "in God's image."
    Your basic human rights are guaranteed by the Geneva Convention, and, if anything happens to that, all bets are off!
    You'll never have to do anything nice for anyone else ever again.
    You'll never go to hell, simply because you don't believe in the place. Logic.
    You can eat any hotdog you want!
    You can be your own God.
    You can read Harry Potter.
    You'll never have to read anything by Tim LaHaye. Thank God..er..yourself!
    You'll be popular on the interwebs.
    You'll never have to actually refute any points that aren't part of your doctoral thesis.
    Wikipedia will make you an admin automaticlly using their OnlyAthiestAdmins bot.
    You'll not not not go to heaven. Figure that one out!
    You'll somehow achieve "spiritual enlightenment" which you believe is something that Christians don't have.
    You don't have to believe anything. Well, except maybe nothing.
    You get free membership in the ACLU.
    Abortions are half-price.
    The theology of atheism is so simple, even you can understand it.
    You won't need communion wafers, which are incompatible with the Atkins diet.
    You'll be qualified to teach religion classes at the University of Kansas.
    You'll save money on funerals since you can dump your loved ones' corpses in a landfill, or make big money selling them to necrophiliacs.
    If you get off on whining about how unfair life is, and how oppressed you are, you get the added bonus of knowing you'll get no justice after you die.
    In courts you trust.
    You can think for yourself, according to a recent scientific journal.
    Everyone who disagrees with you will suddenly become ignorant.
    You'll have a worldview that is scientifically supported by scientific science. Scientifically!
    You're cited as an expert, even if you're not.
    If you're wrong, you'll be reincarnated as a brainless microscopic insect! It's win-win!

Copied and pasted from Unclyclopedia

-Revan

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

Shouldn't this be in the Ethos, Mores, et Monastica section?

Seleukos's Avatar Hell hath no fury
    Patrician

Moved.

ErikinWest's Avatar Civitate

Where do I sign up?

Erik

Music is the pinnacle of civilization and Jazz is the apex.
    Member of S.I.N.
    The means justify the ends. Or better put: the same means will achieve the same ends.
    Under the patronage of Chandrashekar Azad.

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

Just imagine, if you do anything wrong and get away with it - no hell... Seems OK for me!

Quote Originally Posted by imb39
    Just imagine, if you do anything wrong and get away with it - no hell... Seems OK for me!
    But what if there is a hell? According to many religions, especially the Abrahamic ones, atheists go to hell. What if they're right?

I guess it's a gamble...:laughing:

If you consider how many different religions there are around the globe, it's kinda hard to imagine that one should be more correct than others. The most "logical" solution to this is that there is no devine being(s) and that we're all part of a long and very complicated evolution and that emotions, love and other human things are part of the whole "survival of the fittest" thing, and they're simply there to make it easier to "surivive".

Ummon's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

There is no reason to become an atheist, but there are reasons to become an agnostic. There is never reason for faith. Atheism is faith in the nonexistence of God.

Quote Originally Posted by imb39
    No no, this isn't right. People would think all atheists are unscrupulous criminals!
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

Saint-Germain's Avatar Comte

Tim LaHaye's the guy who wrote the 'Left Behind' series, yeah?

I read one of them. I quite liked it, in the same way thet people like slowing down to check out really messy car crashes...
    né Menander
    Under the covetous wing of Ozymandias
    Patronizing my favourite (not so) little guy, Turbo

"With this weather, it might as well be Thursday..."

Oldgamer's Avatar My President ...
    Illinois, and I DID obtain my concealed carry permit! I'm packin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Béarn
    If you consider how many different religions there are around the globe, it's kinda hard to imagine that one should be more correct than others. ...
    Ah! The moral equivalency view.

Not being an equivalency theorist, I have absolutely no trouble imagining that one is more correct than the others. Something solid to base everything else on.

Besides, if one is an atheist, one believes that his/her belief is superior, and makes him/her superior. Or else, I have misread hundreds of posts at this website ...

well heres a few good reasons to at least not be dogmatic and indeed to be athiest if you wish

A great big universe!!!

Please don’t take these observations as an attack if you are Christian inclined – that is not their purpose. It simply shows that it’s a great big universe out there!

Point 1. Was Jesus born on all of the planets with intelligent life?

2. If not then are most of the beings in the universe damned?

3. If he was [which would probably be mathematically impossible], then are they all humans?

4. Would they also be Romans & Jews with exactly the same history as earth history, or is the bible different on other planets?

5. If any two planets arrive at a relative historical point that Jesus should be born, then he would have to divide into two!

6. It is impossible to have duel synchronous histories! [Two or more planets with the same histories]

7. Why does god want to ‘save’ the entire universe – why not simply create perfection in the first place! And who would want to be crucified billions of times!!!

8. One cannot create what is already there i.e. the universe always exists in non-linear time and there was no ‘beginning’. [It is like a circle] therefore god cannot be the creator of the universe – it exists in its own right, and it will always exist in future history!

9. The truth is naked! No one can speak it – it may only be directed to or inferred. Similar to an object is itself and the description is placed upon it.

10. We are all god as man! [given that god is universal!] All of existence is god/goddess in their given form.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Attila, I get the feeling you weren't being totally serious.

-Revan

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Revan The Great
    Attila, I get the feeling you weren't being totally serious.

-Revan
    Why on earth would you get that feeling?

Quote Originally Posted by Honor&Glory
    But what if there is a hell? According to many religions, especially the Abrahamic ones, atheists go to hell. What if they're right?

I guess it's a gamble...:laughing:
    That is not funny, in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgamer
    Besides, if one is an atheist, one believes that his/her belief is superior, and makes him/her superior. Or else, I have misread hundreds of posts at this website ...
    All people think their believe is superior in a certain way. Some more then others. *coughs*

Quote Originally Posted by The White Knight
    Some more then others. *coughs*
    Yeah, those evil Atheists.

-Revan

Quote Originally Posted by Revan The Great
    Yeah, those evil Atheists.

-Revan
    Meh, Christians are just the same, or Muslims, or Jews, ...

I think I'm converting to Buddhism in a minute. lol :laughing:

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgamer
    Ah! The moral equivalency view.

Not being an equivalency theorist, I have absolutely no trouble imagining that one is more correct than the others. Something solid to base everything else on.
    But is one religion, instrinsically, superior to all others in terms of accuracy? What makes it so?
    And the same does not go for theists? You take some atheists for that generalisation; I can, also from this site (though the posts may have been deleted) do the same for theists.

In the end that comes down, not to the belief, but to the person believing it.

There are many my-belief-is-better Christians, just as their are many my-belief-is-better atheists, and so on, but that is the fault of the person, not the religion. A haughty, proud Christian (or Muslim or Jew or Atheist etc.) is haughty and proud because they are a haughty and proud person, not because of their belief.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast