Thread: Ctd!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maron's Avatar I'm afraid of everyone

Default Ctd!!!!!!!!!!!!!

after extremely large battles when ive reviewed the killstats and then i click continue to go back to campaign, i get a ctd

it only happens when around 5-7 thousand troops participate and the battle lasts about 20 mins or more. it has happened to me twice, and both were extremely!!!!!!!!!!! decisive battles, and i have to either replay them or avoid them all together once i load my last savegame.

do u know any reason why it would do this

btw i use 5.0 with no minimods or changes
    In the Legion of Rahl Under the patronage of Corporal_Hicks

“I grew up middle class, white, my parents loved me. So I might not necessarily relate to what your circumstances were. I hear them and understand them, but that’s not an excuse for you to fail. Don’t come in here and say, ‘Well, you know, that’s just kind of the way I was brought up.’ No. If you’re in a bad way right now, it’s because of the choices you made in response to your circumstances. So change your choices.” -Gene Chizik

I've only got CTDs when loading into the battle screen, never after a battle. (I'd be going crazy too if I had to redo an epic battle)

My CTDs probably come from the fact that I have 190 songs in my music folder, and I have a wimpy 2.6 p4 processor

Quote Originally Posted by Maron
    after extremely large battles when ive reviewed the killstats and then i click continue to go back to campaign, i get a ctd

it only happens when around 5-7 thousand troops participate and the battle lasts about 20 mins or more. it has happened to me twice, and both were extremely!!!!!!!!!!! decisive battles, and i have to either replay them or avoid them all together once i load my last savegame.

do u know any reason why it would do this

btw i use 5.0 with no minimods or changes
    Same thing here, happened twice too, (both, annoyingly, were long battles which I won) . Bleah.

Most of the time the CTDs are related to a couple things.

1. Hardware limitations (believe it or not SPQR battles are the largest for any mod and tax systems alot) solution play on Large settings.
    2. Did follow install instruction right and game is not installed properly or on a clean RTW patch 1.2 setup.
    3. Some modification to the game, someone elses animation pack, changes to a text file, etc.

Each person has to fin out WHY their system crashes and why sometimes it does not. SPQR isnt a bug riddled mod, and usally the above three are the cause.

Best I can do maybe someone else can help more. also check the readme if you have any gameplay questions for the mod.
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

Virgil's Avatar Powered by Technicolor©

I have the same problem guys but it is not something easily avoidable. It is during the gauls turn. My two legions are attacked by about three thousand troops- i beat them. Then, immidateky after, the same two armies are attacked again and without fail, CTD. So heres my question Lt

After the first battle - should i not load the next battle for like 20 mins to give my computer a rest? I cant save because its the AI's turn. Please help LT - im at an impass here.
    Patron to Shadows, The White Knight, Darkragnar, and
    Ramon Gonzales y Garcia. Under the patronage of Horsearcher.

I suggest playing on Large settings because your system cant handle the high numbers. Heck I had to get a new fan for my Video card to play SPQR. lol

So I suggest that, 5.0 and 6.0 were adjusted to allow large players to enjoy the game more than before. Its the only solution if you cant afford to upgrade.

Lt
    Lt_1956

Lt,

As I posted in the other thread I found out that some random CTDs are caused by the AUTO-SAVE option being enabled... after the second or the third big battle the computer tries to auto-save during battle/campaign screen loading and it crashes... Normally it happens between long battles... Since I disabled this option in the preferences file (AUTO_SAVE: FALSE), I have had no more CTDs... I have now been playing for 4-5 consecutive days and had massive multiple battles... I'm sure the autosave option in RTW is screwed :-(

Quote Originally Posted by NorthHammer
    I've only got CTDs when loading into the battle screen, never after a battle. (I'd be going crazy too if I had to redo an epic battle)

My CTDs probably come from the fact that I have 190 songs in my music folder, and I have a wimpy 2.6 p4 processor

???. What are the rest of your system specs? I have a P4 - 2.4, 1,900 songs in my folder plus thousands of other files and I have SPQR set to Huge and my box handles it fine, although I do have to set battlefield resolution to 800x600-32. However I do have my HD split into three logical drives, C:\ for Windows, D:\ for programs and files, and E:\ exclusively for games including RTW - SPQR. I defrag every week regardless of the windows report. I also shut down all non-essential processes to free resources for gaming.

I also have "1st generation" DDR RAM at 233Mhz, and an ATI Radeon 9550 - 256MB video card, which is low end card.

I have a p4 3.6 Prescott, ATI X800XT PE OC'ed, 2Gb of DDR 400 PC 3200 2-3-2 Ram, Raptor 74GB 10k RPM HD. I defrag every other day, due to video editing. I also set high priority for RTW.exe when I am serious about playing.

I plan to get a very fast PC next summer or winter depending on prices and speed, then I should never have issues again with RTW. lol I would love to fight a battle with 30FPS with 15k-30k men on the field. I dont crash, its just very slow in FPS. a 6-8ghz should do fine with a new gen VC. ;-)

Lt
    Lt_1956

That sounds like a serious box. Is it custome built or did you buy of the shelf?

When I eventually build a new system in a year or so, I am not sure whether or not to go AMD64 or stay with Pentium. Like Windows and Mac, there seems to be a sharp, bitter line between users. Some swear by AMD, yet other say no, go Pentium. Basically who the hell knows! lol. I have no complaints about my P4, my laptop has an AMD sempron, so I cant compare. I have read that AMD is 'better' for gaming and Pentium is 'best' for multiprocessing, but again other say Pentium is just as good or better.