Thread: Quick question about musket accuracy

General A. Skywalker's Avatar Primicerius
    currently Coruscant, but born on Tatooine

Default Quick question about musket accuracy

Haven't dowloaded yet, but the mod seems promising!

Weapon effectiveness greatly reduced to achive realistic hit rates per volley
    I really like that point but I have played the mod "Order of War", which also greatly reduced accuracy and I really like it for long range-volleys (they are useless now) however, so are utter point blank CLOSE RANGE volleys in that mod... hardly casualties at all, which is inacceptable!
    However, in many other mods it's well done concerning close/mid range volleys, but still too much casualties at max range (I mean... 150 men firing at max range causing 10 enemies to go down is still too much I think!)
    That's what I love about "Order of War": It makes maneuvring and withdrawing possible, even while under fire!

So my question is: How is it done in TROM2? Are close range volleys lethal as they should be? Are mid range volleys worth the reload (meaning not devastating but well, a few casualties at least)? And are max range volleys a waste of ammo? (As it should be! )

Thanks!

Default Re: Quick question about musket accuracy

There is a basic problem with scaling casuality rates in relation to distance: If you want to implement devastating close range volleys you will also have more casualities at long range (and the other way round). TROM2 has a unique solution for musket ballistics, but this basic 'law' still applies. A fresh standard line unit in TROM2 will cause around 4-6 casualities against another line unit at long range (80 in game units). I never measured the exact casualities at close range. Instead my philosophy is that a infantry unit charging a fresh line unit frontally at full speed should receive enough casualities that it will not win the melee combat afterwards, even when being superior in melee. From my memory a line unit running will receive around 40-50 casualities before making contact, if the defending unit gets two volleys off (one at a range of around 60-70 and the second very close).

Btw there is one big advantage of the ballistic solution of TROM2 over other mods. With the standard solution we used before you get alot of stray shots that kill far beyond their range. So, if you have skirmishers in front and a line unit behind, the line unit will suffer a lot of casualities even when outside of range of the shooting enemy. With TROM2 the casualities are far less, because shots have a ballistic trajectory and don't fly all over the battlefield.