Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Announcement - Before posting bugs and ctds try this (Updated 02/07/2011)

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Default Announcement - Before posting bugs and ctds try this (Updated 02/07/2011)

To avoid having to repeat the standard advice when dealing with crashes etc. I am posting this thread to offer the advice beforehand.

A Note on the advanced options menu in the TAR launcher: Do not change the borders,markers and deployment zones. Otherwise you may cause CTDs.

If you have problems with ''normal'' CTD's try the following before requesting help:

- Use "Run as Administrator" for Steam and then do the same for TAR. This stopped recent crashes for me on the loading screen.
    - Ensure you have deleted all other mods from the Data folder.
    - Delete the preferences.txt script and fx_cache files from the Appdata/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/scripts and Appdata/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Empire/fx_cache folders. Check the user empire script and delete any non-TAR entries from it.
    - Try the workaround instructions here.
    - Sometimes Norton deletes files from TAR when downloaded. To exclude TAR downloads from Norton scans as follows:

- Click on "Settings", then go to "Antivirus and Sonar Exclusions".
    - Click on "Configure" and then "Add". Then type in the name of the filename of the TAR download one at a time. Repeat the process for "Items to exclude from scans" and "Items to Exclude from Auto Protect and SONOR Detection". Click "Apply" when you've added each one.
    - Download and install the TAR downloads.

More often than not, this resolves CTDs, so those experiencing those issues might as well attempt to do so by following the aforementioned steps.

In the unlikely event this doesn't solve the problem, reinstall ETW and install TAR again. I recommend creating an ETW backup using the Steam "Backup and Restore Games" option and using the backups for reinstallation.

If you still have problems and want to post a bug, please state what OS you are using, as Windows 7 64 seems more stable with this game.
    Last edited by MorganH.; July 29, 2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: borders, markers, deployment zones
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Default Re: Announcement - Before posting bugs try this

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    To avoid having to repeat the standard advice when dealing with crashes etc. I am posting this thread to offer the advice beforehand. If you have problems with CTD's try the following before requesting help:

- Delete the script and fx_cache files from the Appdata/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/scripts and Appdata/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Empire/fx_cache folders.
    - Try the workaround instructions here.

More often than not, this resolves CTDs, so those experiencing those issues might as well attempt to do so by following the aforementioned steps.

In the unlikely event this doesn't solve the problem, reinstall ETW and install TAR again. I recommend creating an ETW backup using the Steam "Backup and Restore Games" option and using the backups for reinstallation.
    Ensure you have deleted all other mods from the Data folder: this is the problem i think but im pretty sure i deleted all the ACW blue and grey files

Delete the script and fx_cache files from the Appdata/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/scripts and Appdata/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Empire/fx_cache folders: how do i get to the roaming folders and stuff

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Quote Originally Posted by hawk111 View Post
    Ensure you have deleted all other mods from the Data folder: this is the problem i think but im pretty sure i deleted all the ACW blue and grey files

Delete the script and fx_cache files from the Appdata/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/scripts and Appdata/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Empire/fx_cache folders: how do i get to the roaming folders and stuff

Type in;Creative Assembly in your windows search tab.
    Make sure you have enabled ''searching for hidden maps and folders'' as the Creative Assembly folder is often hidden.

When the Creative Assembly folder has been found,you double click it,go to the Empire folder,double click that as well,and then youll see all the folders you need !

Make sure you have enabled ''searching for hidden maps and folders'' as the Creative Assembly folder is often hidden.

how do i enable ''searching for hidden maps and folders''

kenniston5's Avatar TAR local moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hawk111 View Post

how do i enable ''searching for hidden maps and folders''
    here follow this link it tells you how to do it with every different operating system
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial62.html

that should help if not heres a youtube video to show you how
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6IwE...eature=related

but it really does not matter which operating system the direction pretty much work the same for all of them.
    hope this helps
    Last edited by kenniston5; December 24, 2010 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenniston5 View Post
    here follow this link it tells you how to do it with every different operating system
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial62.html

that should help if not heres a youtube video to show you how
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6IwE...eature=related

but it really does not matter which operating system the direction pretty much work the same for all of them.
    hope this helps
    I did that but i still cant finder that folder and I uninstalled the mod and empire and i still get that error it says it when ever i press play
    Last edited by hawk111; December 24, 2010 at 09:14 PM.

Hawk, go to "Computer", select the C-drive and then type this on the bar at the top of the screen (with whatever your username is): C:\Users\Yourusername\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire. If you do it correctly you will see the scripts and fx_cache folders. Delete the contents of both. While you are in the Appdata folder you might as well rightclick and select "properties" and then deselect "Hidden" and click on "Apply". That will (provided you have the permissions set up right) make the Appdata folder visible in future.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Default Re: Announcement - Before posting bugs try this (Updated 03/04/2011)

So this mod is only compatible with other mods who are modfoldered and dont use modpacks in the main data folder.
    Therefore i got a question - i hope you can maybe answer it? Is it then possible to create your own modfolder for these other mods? Or is it possible to to merge them with TAR?

Thanks. I know its tough questions. Sorry. ^^
    Last edited by Knouphis; May 17, 2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: added quotation

Quote Originally Posted by Knouphis View Post
    So this mod is only compatible with other mods who are modfoldered and dont use modpacks in the main data folder.
    Therefore i got a question - i hope you can maybe answer it? Is it then possible to create your own modfolder for these other mods? Or is it possible to to merge them with TAR?

In theory is it possible,depending on what other mods you want to add and the effort you want to make to get them compatible.
    But for now we cannot support or help you with it,as its busy enough solving issues with TAR itself and the development of the TAR final version.
    I hope you understand and welcome to the TAR forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Knouphis View Post

In my experience it is compatible with some mods but perhaps not all. The point of deleting other mods is to make sure a conflict between TAR and them isn't responsible for the CTD. I do know that the "Period Music Mod" is compatible with TAR. Remember: Run as Administrator for both Steam and TAR. That stopped the CTDs for me.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

so ive done everything you said...removing the fxc files and the preferences script and I still get CTD.

where can I find these "Run as Administrator" things for Steam and TAR? how do I try that route...where is this option?

thanks
    Last edited by sopwythpup28; May 21, 2011 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sopwythpup28 View Post
    so ive done everything you said...removing the fxc files and the preferences script and I still get CTD.

where can I find these "Run as Administrator" things for Steam and TAR? how do I try that route...where is this option?

thanks
    Rightclick on the Steam icon and select "Run as Administrator" and do the same for the TAR icon. This applies for users of some versions of Windows only, including Vista and Windows 7.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Saddletank's Avatar Tiro

I've got several other mods installed: DMUC, APE:TI, ER and want to keep those.

I'm not convinced its the right decision to make your mod not compatible with others - its what Mod Folders are for.

Is TAR compatible with Mod Manager? Is there any way I can keep/run TAR with these other mods installed?

I have installed TAR but when I click on any of the "play campaign" buttons, ETW starts, then crashes.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletank View Post
    I've got several other mods installed: DMUC, APE:TI, ER and want to keep those.

I'm not convinced its the right decision to make your mod not compatible with others - its what Mod Folders are for.

Is TAR compatible with Mod Manager? Is there any way I can keep/run TAR with these other mods installed?

I have installed TAR but when I click on any of the "play campaign" buttons, ETW starts, then crashes.
    TAR is compatible with DMUC and as for the other mods I would recommend to remove them for now.
    There is no need to use Mod Manager as TAR has its own script that can be altered if needed.
    The crash your are experiencing is due to changes in the launcher, please reset the launcher and you should be fine from there

Saddletank's Avatar Tiro

I uninstalled the lot and reinstalled and now get this.

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/TARerror2.jpg

All I did was alter the settings in the launcher to this:

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/TARerror.jpg

Last edited by Saddletank; June 30, 2011 at 08:43 AM.

I uninstalled the lot and reinstalled and now get this.

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/TARerror2.jpg

All I did was alter the settings in the launcher to this:

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/TARerror.jpg
    The images are not showing. Please repost them.

Saddletank's Avatar Tiro

Sorry, for some crazy reason TWC won't allow me to link to my image host.

If you copy/paste the URL into a new browser tab address bar the images will show.

EDIT: I think the installer download was corrupt. Have I got the right file size for TAR_v2_0_PUBLIC_BETA_2_Setup.exe - 1,884,245 kb?
    Last edited by Saddletank; June 30, 2011 at 09:28 AM.

Sorry, for some crazy reason TWC won't allow me to link to my image host.

If you copy/paste the URL into a new browser tab address bar the images will show.

EDIT: I think the installer download was corrupt. Have I got the right file size for TAR_v2_0_PUBLIC_BETA_2_Setup.exe - 1,884,245 kb?
    Sorry,but whatever i do the images will not show,and yes the TAR file is around 1.8 GB.

keep us posted.

Saddletank's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by MorganH. View Post
    keep us posted.
    The problem lies somewhere in your advanced options selector.

Today I have completely uninstalled ETW and reinstalled it via steam, then played a vanilla turn or two, so it is patched to the latest version.

Then I redownloaded TAR and installed that and going in thru your front end loader I was again able to play a GC.

Then, I changed some of the advanced options and the game crashes. Here's the error I'm getting.

Here's the advanced settings I currently have - though I think these are the defaults. Can you confirm?

Last edited by Saddletank; June 30, 2011 at 03:54 PM.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

saddletank - the launcher gives you an option to reser to default try that please

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast