To avoid having to repeat the standard advice when dealing with crashes etc. I am posting this thread to offer the advice beforehand.
A Note on the advanced options menu in the TAR launcher: Do not change the borders,markers and deployment zones. Otherwise you may cause CTDs.
If you have problems with ''normal'' CTD's try the following before requesting help:
- Use "Run as Administrator" for Steam and then do the same for TAR. This stopped recent crashes for me on the loading screen.
- Ensure you have deleted all other mods from the Data folder.
- Delete the preferences.txt script and fx_cache files from the Appdata/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/scripts and Appdata/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Empire/fx_cache folders. Check the user empire script and delete any non-TAR entries from it.
- Try the workaround instructions here.
- Sometimes Norton deletes files from TAR when downloaded. To exclude TAR downloads from Norton scans as follows:
- Click on "Settings", then go to "Antivirus and Sonar Exclusions".
- Click on "Configure" and then "Add". Then type in the name of the filename of the TAR download one at a time. Repeat the process for "Items to exclude from scans" and "Items to Exclude from Auto Protect and SONOR Detection". Click "Apply" when you've added each one.
- Download and install the TAR downloads.
More often than not, this resolves CTDs, so those experiencing those issues might as well attempt to do so by following the aforementioned steps.
In the unlikely event this doesn't solve the problem, reinstall ETW and install TAR again. I recommend creating an ETW backup using the Steam "Backup and Restore Games" option and using the backups for reinstallation.
If you still have problems and want to post a bug, please state what OS you are using, as Windows 7 64 seems more stable with this game.