Page 26 of 49 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official WIP Screenshot Thread

Default Re: The Official WIP Screenshot Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    A gentleman never tells!
    Well, I’m obviously not a gentleman .

Seriously now, I just thought it would be unfair to be quiet about it and further exploit Éorl’s unawareness. Now he can make further precautions if he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Éorl View Post
    Well, remember that we are a very small team. All of this, while doable, requires some time, even more so if we want to do it right. So it's way down on our to do list, if it's on it at all. Frankly, don't expect such things for the release, maybe, MAYBE such details will be included in some patches in the future. But I won't make any promises - we'd rather concentrate on getting the stuff that needs to be done right first before even contemplating anything like that.
    Regarding the ruins of Osgiliath I think that you could use Osgiliath model from the ME:TW as it looks quite good. Only to give it as a suggestion, but you are probably aware of its existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagmodo View Post
    What an amazing map preview. Seriously, I have never seen better campaign map for RTW ever. Textures, trees, mountain ranges,… everything’s so good.... I see tremendous effort invested in it and great dedication to details. I could look in those screenshots for days, so much to see here. I see that there is pipe weed resource in the Shire; Barrow-downs are also present. Also, there is so many villages in Shire to represent that it is densely populated region; great. I also see that you have changed the crown of Gondor to more authentic design (ships and... erm one more thing*). And I really like quite improved look of Isengard area.
    We have a thing for detail (the villages in the Shire are in their proper positions according to the JRRT maps, etc) and that combined with Eorl's skill results in wonderful things.

I have few questions regarding the things I have seen on the map:

- What is the faction symbol of the Hobbits? Is it a quill or folded tobacco leaf?
    It's a feather; like what the Shirriffs would put on their hats.

- While Beorning’s faction symbol is bear claw as expected, Harondor Faction symbol is still a mystery to me since it is too murky on the screenshot; something yellow on red... Could you tell us what it is?
    A sun on a red-ish background.

- On the third screenshot there are grey things on the fords across Limlight and Anduin forts (placeholders)?
    What Thangaror said, flags of ungarrisoned forts. I'm contemplating removing settlement and army banners altogether to force the player to use spies more (RTR VII has done the same), so if that happens, those flags will be gone for good.

- What is the pillar/tower on the fourth screenshot at the east-gate of Khazad-dûm? Is it Durin’s Tower?
    Durin's Stone.

- What will be the situation in Eregion? Could the Elves reclaim it for themselves or it will be populated by the humans?
    Classified!

* I think that you have actually showed more than you intended... I will only say that I accidentally click on the one screenshot and saw much more than you have probably intended to show... Really good progress on Gondorian units and GoT:TW.
    Whoops...
    Last edited by Aradan; December 18, 2012 at 01:49 AM.

Great screenies. I could watch them for hours! Thank you for this pre-Christmas gift!

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

Woooow just seen those screens.In one (long) word it is just: Aaaawwwwsssoooommmmeeee!
    I can't wait to play DOM.
    Cheers Predator!

Fantastic work on the map! Well done.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Quote Originally Posted by Éorl View Post
    It's been a while since the last previews, not because the team was idle, but because I was a bit preoccupied and the team was working on non-previewable (is that a word?) stuff A LOT.

I hinted at us re-vamping the campaign map (again), and we feel it's required to show the results to you, also as a thank you for your patience and confidence in us.

I'm also happy to be in a position now that allows me a) to spend a bit more time on the mod and b) to do stuff we would never have fancied a year ago. More on this here on christmas eve.

I hope you like what we did with the campaign map (textures and trees), plus note that all campaignmap models will be reviewed, improved or made from scratch what is still missing.

Everything WIP, of course.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

That has to be one of the prettiest campaign maps I have ever seen.

Agent007's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    What Thangaror said, flags of ungarrisoned forts. I'm contemplating removing settlement and army banners altogether to force the player to use spies more (RTR VII has done the same), so if that happens, those flags will be gone for good.
    Just droping my 2 cents here (the mod is yours, so you do as you find best, of course), to say I personally don't like the campaign maps like that at all, but it is not because of the strategic aspect of having to use my spies more often; evidently this is a personal opinion, but for me the "regular" display on the campaing map has more "finesse", i.e. looks much better.

Beautiful work guys, been lurking around for quite awhile here.

When it comes to the campaign map, I personally would enjoy the option to have banners on or off for those of us who like playing with them on, maybe through an optional mini patch or some such.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Removing flags just makes the game tedious. I can still see roughly how many troops they have by looking at the units when I click on the town. Just keep them as they are. After all, a real military leader would have scouts and such to roughly inform them of enemy movements. Having to use agents-spies for anything other than spying (I.E. checking out characters, cities unrest and income, etc, etc) kind of breaks the immersion.

Reconnaissance =/= spying. Recon is gathered by scouts.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Just to add my opinion, too, I also find the removing of the flags not a good move. I even tried to find a way to change it in RTR VII but no luck.

Okies, flags stay then, if the majority of players prefer it that way. Ignore my comment and feel free to continue admiring the map.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Agent007's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    Okies, flags stay then, if the majority of players prefer it that way. Ignore my comment and feel free to continue admiring the map.
    (turns Saruman's voice mod on): It's a wise move, my friend.

intel's Avatar Protector Domesticus

This got to be the most beautiful campaign map ever done on RTW engine. It topples RS II's map, and that is a best compliment it could got!

Since you have involuntarily previewed Gondorian soldiers, could you please hint/tell us if any major changes are planned for Adunabar faction looks? Will there be any changes to both of the Dunedainic unit rosters?
    Last edited by intel; December 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM.

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

Since you have involuntarily previewed Gondorian soldiers, could you please hint/tell us if any major changes are planned for Adunabar faction looks? Will there be any changes to both of the Dunedainic unit rosters?
    Hint...

Well, there's something happening to the units currently, yes, a bit more than we originally set out to do.

Wait until christmas for further news on this, here.
    I read this so called Bible, and found it to be a third rate story in which this so called 'jesus' is nothing more than a shameless lampooning of Brian, which has inspired joy and laughter in millions.
    -unknown YouTube user

Thanks for the answer and one last question: will all of former Mordor save from its southern areas remain desolate desert? It doesn't make sense for humans to settle such land... I think that some sort of flora could help- it doesn't have to be as lush and colorful as in other climates, but some kind of brownish grass and occasional bushes could help.

Revelo's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by intel View Post
    Thanks for the answer and one last question: will all of former Mordor save from its southern areas remain desolate desert? It doesn't make sense for humans to settle such land... I think that some sort of flora could help- it doesn't have to be as lush and colorful as in other climates, but some kind of brownish grass and occasional bushes could help.
    Wouldn't be the plains of Gorgoroth if it wasn't wasteland mate

The campaign map looks amazing, by the way! Great work guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Revelo View Post
    Wouldn't be the plains of Gorgoroth if it wasn't wasteland mate

The campaign map looks amazing, by the way! Great work guys.
    So the core regions of Adunabar are just barren, ashy wastelands. And I am supposed to believe that people would involuntarily settle there*, de facto in a middle of what appears to be devil's twisted variation of a desert? Maybe Adunabar is simply populated by culturally assimilated orcs...

*+rep if you can tell whaty is my argumentation heading for
    Last edited by intel; December 22, 2012 at 07:44 AM.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Gorgoroth's appeal is its defensibility - it is only part of Mordor; the area of Nurn within its southern borders is very fertile.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    Gorgoroth's appeal is its defensibility - it is only part of Mordor; the area of Nurn within its southern borders is very fertile.
    I know, we all know that Nurnen was "Sauron's breadbasket" But defensibility of Gorgoroth matters little when you take into account how unattractive it is for your average citizen*. I think that at least some areas could become sort of alive after fall of Sauron. Not neccesarily more "alive" than Poland...

Still, a touch of grass here and there could make this place actually bearable**.

*Of course, it could be more attractive if it was sort of the same industrial center it was under Sauron. Mining facilities etc.
    **I always imagined myself that reclaimed Gorgoroth would look kind of like this: