Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official WIP Screenshot Thread

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: The Official WIP Screenshot Thread

Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    The horses' legs look weird, for some reason. Other than that, the models look great, if a bit thin.
    Models can be 'thickened' quite easily, so it's no biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Éorl View Post
    Here're some screenies of the finished Dragonslayer Bodyguards and new models/textures for the Black Arrows. The Black Spears will look like the Black Arrows, but with a roundshield, javelin, spear and metal scales instead of leather. They're basically done, but I need to sort out an error with the model...

Since Dale is a centrepiece faction in Dominion of Men and has a huge roster full of new units, I'm currently creating new models for most. More screenies later this week, when I have a few days off .

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Great work mate.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

3d shields, maces for the umbar guards and some other cruel stuff...

More screenies of other units tomorrow.
    Here're some screenies of the finished Dragonslayer Bodyguards and new models/textures for the Black Arrows. The Black Spears will look like the Black Arrows, but with a roundshield, javelin, spear and metal scales instead of leather. They're basically done, but I need to sort out an error with the model...

Since Dale is a centrepiece faction in Dominion of Men and has a huge roster full of new units, I'm currently creating new models for most. More screenies later this week, when I have a few days off
    HOLY ! Kudos, kudos! Really... I'm so looking forward to this mod!

EDIT: I can't give +rep atm, but I'll do so later!
    Last edited by Casual Tactician; July 30, 2012 at 08:18 PM.

Hmm, I thought that horses are stockier than others because they are of northern breed. But yes, right now their legs resemble more that of coldblooded (draught) horse breeds.
    I must say I really like horse tack (equipment); especially high saddles look much more realistic.

And, may I ask have old Dragonslayers been completely removed, or only transferred to other jobs (mercenaries, ...)? I’m just curious, but I probably already know the answer.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Well, for that heavily armed riders a draught horse wood be more appropriate anyway. Historians suggest that Knights rode horses that resemble the Friesians. But I'm not certain, to which era this refers.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

Hmm, I thought that horses are stockier than others because they are of northern breed. But yes, right now their legs resemble more that of coldblooded (draught) horse breeds.
    I must say I really like horse tack (equipment); especially high saddles look much more realistic.

And, may I ask have old Dragonslayers been completely removed, or only transferred to other jobs (mercenaries, ...)? I’m just curious, but I probably already know the answer.
    Well the horses with saddle and teugles are borrowed with permission from Chivalry: Total War (thanks Atheno!). I've tweaked the mesh a bit and fixed some rigging errors with the horse hooves. They've been re-textured, of course. I made the mesh slightly larger than the original mesh size, because the horses looked too small and frail to support well-armoured (for the period, at least) riders, and larger horses make the unit more impressive. I'm also thinking about making the Rohan horse a tiny bit larger because they are of a superior breed than other horses in Middle-earth.

And no, the old dragonslayer models are not used currently, because all models that make up the higher tier Dale units get custom models. The Dale Dragonslayer Bodyguard models are actually a tweaked and completely re-textured version of the RK Knights of Dol Amroth - no one noticed, yet . I actually like the original mesh a lot, and you can add and tweak it nicely to make cool new units. The Black Arrows and Blackspears are new models, as will be others I will preview very soon.
    I read this so called Bible, and found it to be a third rate story in which this so called 'jesus' is nothing more than a shameless lampooning of Brian, which has inspired joy and laughter in millions.
    -unknown YouTube user

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

The Dale units look too uniform overall, though. It's not necessary to have them all look that similar. It's just somewhat weird that archers look the same way as bodyguard horsemen.

ETA: Then again, they're elite archers. Are the three units together what amounts to the king's personal army?

ETA2: Just a reminder - mail is usually superior to scale.

ETA3: Dale looks a bit like Russians.
    Last edited by Blatta Optima Maxima; August 02, 2012 at 01:37 PM.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

To me looks more like early Rus/vikings, so u are right on this
    Αs for mail/scale, each has its own advantages and disadvantages, but I think steel scale is superior to steel chainmail.....

Mail armor was several times more expensive, and several times more common. Huh, the ancients must have been stupid. Especially when you consider that scale was the most common form of metallic armor... Until mail came along.

Thing about mail is, it's massively underrated by most people due to modern "tests" using butted reproduction mail, rather than riveted mail which is far superior. Scale is easier to pierce and/or hack through with several blows because the scales are held together by a fabric backing. They're also quite thin to keep weight down. Mail is harder to penetrate because it is mechanically sturdier, and always used in conjunction with padding which absorbs both the blunt trauma and most of the stuff that gets through the mesh of metal - which by then has lost most of its energy. So even if an arrow or an axe or even a sword breaks a few rings, it doesn't mean the blow gets through.

Mail is pretty much invulnerable to swords and other bladed weapons. The main threats to a warrior armored in such a fashion are blunt force attacks, lots of arrows (most of them get deflected, but some might get through) and couched lances. Very few things can be guaranteed to stop a couched lance - even plate might fail.

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

Yes, Roach (Blatta) - who happens to be my personal armourer, but not on this one here - is right about the chainmail.

However, since Dale and the Rohirrim share some cultural elements, and since Tolkien described the Rohirrim as wearing lots of shiny chainmail, we decided that the Dale elite should have a mixture of scale and chainmail armour.
    I read this so called Bible, and found it to be a third rate story in which this so called 'jesus' is nothing more than a shameless lampooning of Brian, which has inspired joy and laughter in millions.
    -unknown YouTube user

Nah I am not disupting the use of scale - it's up to the team. What worries me is that mail wearing units might get crappy armor stats, as is quite often the case in games/mods.

Cinuz's Avatar Senator

Mmmmh, damn...If you guys continue to create such jewels I will never know what faction I'll use in my first campaign....they're all so beautiful! ...Maybe I'll go with Dale...or maybe not, we'll see in the next preview! Awesome work, congrats!

I don't want to bother you guys but...

Any new screenies?

Eorl is currently creating/editing models/textures, so I'm not sure we have a complete 'package' ready to be previewed. And I'm working on ancs and traits, which generally means even less pictures...

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

I've learned quite some new things wrt unit models, so this keeps my hands out of me pocket for a while, still. Here's some screenies of an evening battle showcasing my finalized lighting - I always wanted DoM battles in the evening and morning hours to look gloomy and a bit otherworldly, and I have now arrived at something which I really like. Also, Models (here the existing RK and some Dale core units) have been fitted all with 3d shields, plus some new Dale models (Blackspears for Dale), plus the new torch lighting effects, all customized for DoM. Still WIP, since I'll improve the shader/lighting interactions of ALL unit models in DoM. The island on the horizon is Tolfalas, btw, the battle is on the coast of Belfalas.

-unknown YouTube user

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

nice lighting , units are very good ....fine work

Very nice! +rep

Eorl Ilúvatar.

I've learned quite some new things wrt unit models, so this keeps my hands out of me pocket for a while, still. Here's some screenies of an evening battle showcasing my finalized lighting - I always wanted DoM battles in the evening and morning hours to look gloomy and a bit otherworldly, and I have now arrived at something which I really like. Also, Models (here the existing RK and some Dale core units) have been fitted all with 3d shields, plus some new Dale models (Blackspears for Dale), plus the new torch lighting effects, all customized for DoM. Still WIP, since I'll improve the shader/lighting interactions of ALL unit models in DoM. The island on the horizon is Tolfalas, btw, the battle is on the coast of Belfalas.
    Epic stuff, my friend!