Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official WIP Screenshot Thread

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: The Official WIP Screenshot Thread

I hope someday this week, than...

Can't promise, since I want to finish an e-book cover for MasterOfNone's new novel by the end of this week. But you'll get your screenies. Finishing the models takes precedence, though - I've had Aradan wait too long already, and the deadline is the end of May for this part of my work.

I'm spotting things to fix on a daily basis currently - tiny stuff, but stuff that 'll improve models - parallel to discovering how to do stuff better or more efficiently in max.
    Last edited by Éorl; May 22, 2012 at 07:12 AM.
    I read this so called Bible, and found it to be a third rate story in which this so called 'jesus' is nothing more than a shameless lampooning of Brian, which has inspired joy and laughter in millions.
    -unknown YouTube user

The Mouth's Avatar Ducenarius

Man I can't wait for this amazing mod to be fully released

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Woah! Those look way too good! Well done, well done!

If only there was a way to port those beautiful environments into Medieval 2. That would be something.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

The_Valiant's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Éorl View Post
    Can't promise, since I want to finish an e-book cover for MasterOfNone's new novel by the end of this week. But you'll get your screenies. Finishing the models takes precedence, though - I've had Aradan wait too long already, and the deadline is the end of May for this part of my work.

I'm spotting things to fix on a daily basis currently - tiny stuff, but stuff that 'll improve models - parallel to discovering how to do stuff better or more efficiently in max.
    Deadline of end of May for that part of his work! That means the mod might get released by 2015!

Just kidding, you guys do a fantastic job and take your time. I'm sure it will be appreciated.
    One's back is vulnerable, unless one has a brother.
    - The Saga of Grettir the Strong

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

If only there was a way to port those beautiful environments into Medieval 2. That would be something.
    As for the vegetation models and textures, you'd only need to convert them to the format used by Med2 (.mesh for models and .texture for textures) and then implement them in the relevant text/idx/db files.

As a matter of fact, the Med2 engine allows for better fine-tunig of environments the way they are set up and interact than does the Rome engine. Still, I prefer the good ol' Rome engine because of the way it handles units in battles, and for all the nice stuff Aradan has made possible with it!
    Last edited by Éorl; May 23, 2012 at 05:36 AM.
    I read this so called Bible, and found it to be a third rate story in which this so called 'jesus' is nothing more than a shameless lampooning of Brian, which has inspired joy and laughter in millions.
    -unknown YouTube user

intel's Avatar Protector Domesticus

As for the vegetation models and textures, you'd only need to convert them to the format used by Med2 (.mesh for models and .texture for textures) and then implement them in the relevant text/idx/db files.

As a matter of fact, the Med2 engine allows for better fine-tunig of environments the way they are set up and interact than does the Rome engine. Still, I prefer the good ol' Rome engine because of the way it handles units in battles, and for all the nice stuff Aradan has made possible with it!
    How is it possible that nobody really made any vegatation mod as beautiful or complex as yours or tone's? The only mod that really made a change in battlemap vegetation is TATW, and even then, the scale of changes is miniscule. There is only one type of grass on the battlefield, terrain beyond battlemap range doesn't have texture and is awfully grey. Visibility range is also smaller, you can't see settlements or other unique terrain features (such as volcanoes or "miracles" if they don't make it into battlemap...

As an added bonus, you can edit it only via tool developed by makayne, Argantonio, KnightErrant and wilddog, that was finished only recently and requires a lot of skill to handle.

So I am afraid, my friend, that M2TW engine is just (overall) inferior to what we get in RTW. Bump mapping, new AI and variety of soldiers within unit and different animations won't make up loss of many features, failed unit balance and less modder-friendly engine.

I think the consensus is that it is impossible to mod M2TW environments (to a great extent) otherwise it would have been done already. Apparently the important stuff is hardcoded so we're stuck with the same old boring textures.

Can't say the same for RTW though. Such fantastic work... seeing autumn leaves... oh my! And those textures are getting more and more realistic... sublime, simply sublime!
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

I think the consensus is that it is impossible to mod M2TW environments (to a great extent) otherwise it would have been done already. Apparently the important stuff is hardcoded so we're stuck with the same old boring textures.
    I can hardly believe this, although I must admit that I never ever tried changing Med2 environments. I thought exchanging models and textures should be the minimum that's possible - thus it shouldn't be that hard to create new environment elements, like ground textures or vegetation.

If it is indeed not possible, then the Rome engine truly rules compared to the Med2 one wrt modding!

How is it possible that nobody really made any vegatation mod as beautiful or complex as yours or tone's? The only mod that really made a change in battlemap vegetation is TATW, and even then, the scale of changes is miniscule.
    I guess the main reason is that this really takes time. I've workshopped for a few months before I created my first vegetation models, and then dumped them all and created new ones from scratch, and when I got better dumped the new ones to create the current versions. Now that I'm also working on unit models I have to say that creating vegetation that looks both natural and cool is harder than creating/tweaking unit models. You not only need to find a way to make the trees look natural by arranging meshes for trunk(s), branches, twigs, leaves and canopy, you also need to find a way to do this efficiently, e.g. making models that can still be handled easily by the game (and your GPU). I set a vertex maximum for my models, for example, which I found even older PCs can still run smoothly, and labored to use textures in an efficient way, so as to keep the number of textures and their sizes contained.

I also went out to look at the real thing - we have some nice beech forests where I live (central Germany), and where my father lives (near Hamburg in northern Germany), there are some nice swampy oak forests which have been very inspiring.
    Last edited by Éorl; May 25, 2012 at 02:37 AM.
    -unknown YouTube user

Quote Originally Posted by intel View Post
    So I am afraid, my friend, that M2TW engine is just (overall) inferior to what we get in RTW. Bump mapping, new AI and variety of soldiers within unit and different animations won't make up loss of many features, failed unit balance and less modder-friendly engine.
    I'm sorry, but this statement is simply not true.

Stable campaign scripts and the possibility to mod campaign AI (which is to my knowledge NOT possible in RTW) alone make a huge difference in modding possibilities. You talk about a "loss of many features" but seem to forget that there are lots of features in MTW2 not present in RTW. Recruitment pools and cool-downs, guilds, missions, global building effects, just from the top of my head.
    "Failed unit balance" doesn't make sense because this is achieved by the editing of the relevant files, which is possible in both games.

I'm not saying that RTW is worse in any regard. The RTW engine has some advantages. There is stuff you can do with RTW not possible in MTW2. But on the same token, there is A LOT of stuff you can do with MTW2 but can't with RTW.

Which engine is optimal for a specific mod depends on what you want to achieve and your preferences and familiarity regarding the engines.

I'm sure FATW will be a wonderful showcase of what can be done with RTW. But don't sell MTW2 too short.

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

But don't sell MTW2 too short.
    I guess we can all agree that it's a matter of personal taste, to a great extend. BTW - you actually CAN mod the RTW campaign AI - this actually is one of Aradan's great achievments with this mod.

I'm curious: In how far can the Med2 environments be modified?
    -unknown YouTube user

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

No mor ethan the sapping ability in the same engine, i think; which means not at all

So, what can't the RTW engine be modified to do?
    "Oh no! Uzbeks have drunk my battery fluid!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ajidica View Post
    So, what can't the RTW engine be modified to do?
    M2TW's recruitment pool settings are impossible, for example.

BTW - you actually CAN mod the RTW campaign AI - this actually is one of Aradan's great achievments with this mod.
    I wouldn't call it 'modding the AI', it doesn't change the AI, it just forces it it do something 'blindly' by taking advantage of an existing mechanic. Still, it is something that cannot be done with such a fine granularity with M2. Though M2 does allow changing some parametres for the AI, which can have a real effect on gameplay - at least what's that I got from doing some preliminary mechanics research for an M2 mod.

Mod's looking sexy.

Keep it going
    "For myself, I would see the White Tree in flower again in the courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return, and Minas Tirith in peace: Minas Anor again as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a queen among other queens; not as a mistress of many slaves, nay, not even a kind mistress of willing slaves. War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Númenor, and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom. Not feared, save as men may fear the dignity of a man, old and wise."

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

I believe Eorl has been having some internet issues, so patience is advised.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

"Internet issues" is a euphemism for driving in a car around town, honking, waving a flag and singing "Schlaaaand, oh Schlaaand", I assume?

At least that is what stalls work in the lab here...
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

If that's the case, he'll be very concentrated soon enough; we'll sent you packing.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

I guess we can all agree that it's a matter of personal taste, to a great extend. BTW - you actually CAN mod the RTW campaign AI - this actually is one of Aradan's great achievments with this mod.

I'm curious: In how far can the Med2 environments be modified?
    The ground textures can be modified. The water can be modified and the skies too. New trees can be added if you take advantege of custom tiles or custom settlements created by using the IWTE tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    If that's the case, he'll be very concentrated soon enough; we'll sent you packing.
    "Football (brit.) goes for 90 minutes, and in the end, germany wins." Its an objective truth, you had no chance