Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official WIP Screenshot Thread

Agent007's Avatar Civis

Default Re: The Official WIP Screenshot Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Éorl View Post
    Also, as I've stated before, I've done some art for MasterOfNone's first puplished novel in my spare time, and I've also laid a solid ground work for a new mod after Dominion of Men releases.
    Oh boy, oh boy. I sense that Winter may be coming [is it for Rome?]
    Anyway, I'm also one of those who have been waiting for the full release of FATW since 7 years ago, so I can wait some more months (I guess ).

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

Mary Xmas, and a hippie new year.

No unit previews (yet!!!), but I found some stuff you might not have seen yet - taking you to a journey to some signature environments of Middle-earth.

MORDOR (screenies from my tests for lighting and skydomes - skydomes courtesy of RS2, I edited to make them a bit more gloomy and tile neatly):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

EDGE OF FANGORN:

Aaaand *drumroll*
    LORIEN FOREST
    :

Note: The Mallorn are huuuuge! They are so tall that if you raise the battlemap camera up high, it barely scrapes the lower branches and leaves. However, they are spaced so that you can still comfortably spot and select your units and follow the movements of the enemy.
    Last edited by Éorl; December 26, 2011 at 01:20 PM.
    I read this so called Bible, and found it to be a third rate story in which this so called 'jesus' is nothing more than a shameless lampooning of Brian, which has inspired joy and laughter in millions.
    -unknown YouTube user

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

No unit previews (yet!!!), but I found some stuff you might not have seen yet - taking you to a journey to some signature environments of Middle-earth.

MORDOR (screenies from my tests for lighting and skydomes - skydomes courtesy of RS2, I edited to make them a bit more gloomy and tile neatly):

EDGE OF FANGORN:

Aaaand *drumroll*
    LORIEN FOREST
    :

Geekgasm...
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

I think the Lorien shots need a Mumakil unit in them, for comparison's sake.

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

I think the Lorien shots need a Mumakil unit in them, for comparison's sake.
    I read this so called Bible, and found it to be a third rate story in which this so called 'jesus' is nothing more than a shameless lampooning of Brian, which has inspired joy and laughter in millions.
    -unknown YouTube user

I can't find any word... awesome, as always ! +Rep

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Blog Entries

Eorl, thanks for the update. I look forward to any future previews

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Wow, stunning... I can't wait to fight hordes of orcs in mordor.

Stunning! Can't wait to battle around Lorien and Fangorn.
    Thanks Eorl!

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Great work, as always. Mordor looks fittingly gloomy, smokey, dusty.

I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Note: The Mallorn are huuuuge! They are so tall that if you raise the battlemap camera up high, it barely scrapes the lower branches and leaves. However, they are spaced so that you can still comfortably spot and select your units and follow the movements of the enemy.
    Great work. +rep
    I suppose the new custom environments will give TATW it's own unique battle experience?! Will there perhaps also be some more/new 'skins'(?)(not sure if that's the correct term) for buildings and such (in later releases)?

Don't you mean FATW?
    Click on my sig and check out my modelling works! Your opinion is welcome!

Tar and feather me! Your right, of course.

The battlemaps of FATW will indeed have their very own unique atmosphere; very Tolkien-ish, we feel. As for battlemap buildings, we have permission to use material from other mods, and when I get done with other things, I'll try my hand at implementing them and see how it goes/looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    The battlemaps of FATW will indeed have their very own unique atmosphere; very Tolkien-ish, we feel. As for battlemap buildings, we have permission to use material from other mods, and when I get done with other things, I'll try my hand at implementing them and see how it goes/looks.
    Great news! Hope the implementation will work. Actually I was only thinking of dark/black walls for Barad-dur and the like, but that sounds even better. I haven't got FATW-TNS installed atm. I buggerd up my installation some time ago and I'll wait for DoM to come out. Your great VI is still installed though of course.
    Since the release of tatw3.0 I've been playing that with a good submod compilation a bit and I'm quite enjoying it (is it considerd heresy to say that here?), although it's somewhat lore-raping and me not being a big fan of the Peter Jackson movies at all. Actually all his films are crap imo. Look at his miserable 'King Kong' adaptation, he should have stuck to films like Meet the Feebles which at least have some trash-appeal.
    What I miss though is the lore-correct and true 'Tolkien-ish' atmosphere you mentioned. I'm no Tolkien expert (only read LotR, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion and The Children of Hurin a good while ago), but FATW feels more like the Middle-earth I imagined when reading the books, even though it's only based on some short notes. Looking forward to DoM!

Regards!

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

...although it's somewhat lore-raping and me not being a big fan of the Peter Jackson movies at all. Actually all his films are crap imo. Look at his miserable 'King Kong' adaptation, he should have stuck to films like Meet the Feebles which at least have some trash-appeal.
    On an off-topic note (and to give credit where it is due), Peter Jackson's The Frighteners is an excellent movie (and his best in my eyes, so far).

Also, PJ's Lord of the Rings movies are not bad - they are different to the books in many respects, though.

Meet the Feebles - yes, that's a movie you can't and shouldn't do with real actors.

...but FATW feels more like the Middle-earth I imagined when reading the books
    That's what we are striving to achieve, and why this takes so long (like Tolkien's own works).
    Last edited by Éorl; January 02, 2012 at 01:04 PM.
    -unknown YouTube user

Blog Entries

On an off-topic note (and to give credit where it is due), Peter Jackson's The Frighteners is an excellent movie (and his best in my eyes, so far).

Also, PJ's Lord of the Rings movies are not bad - they are different to the books in many respects, though.

Meet the Feebles - yes, that's a movie you can't and shouldn't do with real actors.

That's what we are striving to achieve, and why this takes so long (like Tolkien's own works).
    Just don't take 12 years...(or however long that was)

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

Well, we finally managed to nail the last remaining signature landscape of Middle-earth: The Dead Marshes.

We tried several methods, but it seemed impossible to make the game generate lakes, pools and puddles in a flat landscape - until now:

Note that these images are unedited tiles - this is how the fertile grassland climate/swamp groundtype combo now looks in Dominion of Men.
    -unknown YouTube user

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

That looks like a fun map to do battle in.

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

As befits the Dead Marshes, the maps are pretty deadly:

-You should deploy units individually, because if you group-deploy, units on the far flanks could be placed into the water areas (which you can't when placing them individually), which might lead to death by drowning if the water is too deep.

-Routing units may run into water that is too deep, making them drown.

But hey, who said that fighting a battle with huge armies in a swamp is easy?

Testing needs to be done, though. For now, I'm glad that I managed to get this nice battlemap translation.
    -unknown YouTube user