Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 213637383940414243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: The Official WIP Screenshot Thread

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: The Official WIP Screenshot Thread

By adjusting the firing rate, range, and damage of wall ballistas. Testing has confirmed that if you send 2 rams 1 will reach the gate, and 2/3 siege towers will reach the wall below.

But correct me if I'm wrong, but the ai only ever sends one ram at a time, so in defensive battles the fight will always be for the wall. Not that that's the end of the world or anything.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

You are correct, but we really can't balance everything around AI stupidity (the player will not always be defending). Besides which, it's probably better that the ai go for the wall rather than the gate because even if it did bring two rams it would get slaughtered because it won't try to capture the gatehouse and towers there (the first thing you should do after breaking down the gate). It does much better if it goes over the wall and comes up the back pathway, out of range of the towers.

Looks pretty neat.Town center I guess ends up just behind the main gate?
    Also, main question, did you manage to get this set up so that a defending AI will figure out to actually use the Deeping Wall? I remember this was a problem (and one that was never really resolved) when Seth was doing the HD custom city for LotR-TW.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Fantastic!!

Quote Originally Posted by CapnDan View Post
    Looks pretty neat.Town center I guess ends up just behind the main gate?
    Also, main question, did you manage to get this set up so that a defending AI will figure out to actually use the Deeping Wall? I remember this was a problem (and one that was never really resolved) when Seth was doing the HD custom city for LotR-TW.
    Yes, the central plaza area is behind the gate.

In my tests, I've just seen the AI defend the higher portion of the settlement - i.e., not the Deeping Wall - but that's probably not a terrible thing for it to do, since the attacker must still pass the tower fire and climb up all the way to the plaza, which tires you out.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Sadly haven't had much spare time to sit down and put some solid hours into this but work has not stopped by any means. Here is the Tower of the Moon - Adunabar's resurgence manifest in granite and marble.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

And in game at dusk, just for fun. Rest of Minas Ithil layout is WIP, but we're getting there -

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Also, the Dunedain have finally learned how to light their buildings at night. Weird that the Haradrim and Easterlings were able to do this earlier than them but anyway...

Awesome work.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Romantic ^^

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

HYPEHYPEHYPE

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Just doing a little testing with Dorwinion, nothing to see here...

Straight from the horse's mouth, folks

Civis

Horsemen from Dorwinion that can hold their own? HERESY!

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Well, you've spotted one of the changes, I wonder if anyone can see the other one

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Heavy horses for Dorwinion are great. Will they still have a recruitable foot GBs unit or now they have only mounted only mounted generals? Not sure about the other change but I have a suspision that it may something with halberdiers. It is bit small to recognize for me but is not the helmet on the unit icon some kind of open helmet different from the sallet they are using in current version? Or did they recieve a new standard bearer?

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Full marks for Demagogos! The sallet might have been lore plausible but it definitely looked and felt anachronistic, so I found enough spare time to remove them from the mod. The units that used to have them now have a crested version of Dale style helms.

As you noticed we also added banner bearers to the elite Dorwinion units, not sure why they didn't have any before.

No foot generals for Dorwinion, but the change to being a medium/heavy cavalry greatly improved the balance, variety, and style of the roster. There are a couple of other tweaks and improvements in there as well but you'll have to wait and see on those.

Dorwinion is one of my favorite rosters. It's very well organized, and, like Tharbad's roster, almost tells you the history of the people itself. You've got your first 2 tiers entirely made up of Rhovanion units, the rough Wildermen from the hinterlands who aren't very well-armed but play a vital role (especially the skirmishers and riders), and then you have the tough but slow elites who allow you to pin & grind. But whereas getting Tharbad's roster to work feels a bit like putting together a jigsaw puzzle (you need to have each element just so), Dorwinion's troops are more intuitive & forgiving.

That said, it'll be interesting to see how the new BG performs. They'll definitely play a different role than the infantry version. I'm guessing they'll be sorta like Rhovanion's BG in that you'll want to use them in tandem with other units, and target light troops. But we'll see - in my current campaign I've just declared war on Dale. Time to test them out!

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Great work! looking forward to try new Dorwinion campaing with the next patch. My last campaign as Dorwinion with open beta was arguably my most interesting FATW experience so far. Dorwinion and Tharbad roster also belongs to my favourite ones. I like the roster of Harandor as well but I do not like the idea of fighting endless stacks of Haradrim most of my campaing so I do not play much with them except custom battles.

Regarding banner bearers in units I have noticed that in current (and previous) release(s) they follow the following pattern:
    1.) Non-mannish factins have banner bearers for all their non-manish units
    2.) Dunnedain faction and Harad have banner bearers for all their unit except levies
    3.) Northmen factions, barbarian factions an southorn factions except Hard have banner bearers only for their generals units (recruitable + standard) and unique units (e. g. Company of Black Arrow)
    Last edited by demagogos nicator; June 17, 2016 at 03:26 PM.