Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official WIP Screenshot Thread

Default Re: The Official WIP Screenshot Thread

Nice screens Eorl, cant wait to see next version of FATW !
    +rep

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

These lanscapes would indeed look beautiful in vids as well

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

But will the campaign (as in, campaign battles) environments look the same?

Of course, the files used for campaign, histoprical and custom battles are the same; environments are 'global'.

fatsheep's Avatar Civitate

Default Wow

It's good to see that this mod is still going strong. It's amazing to me since we started it around the time Rome: Total War came out which was in 2004 (over 6 years ago!). I've been out of modding and strategy gaming for quite a while now but I thought I'd stop back in to get a status update on the mod and you all didn't disappoint. Great work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rush Limbaugh
    I still think Obama will lose. That or america has gotten so dumb we deserve him.
    - October 25th, 2008

Glad to see you around. Hopefully DoM will exceed your expectations.

Tiro

Hope FATW will get even better.

Good to see the mod is still alive!

I had great fun working with you, Palantir, Merlin etc. and you thought me all a lot.

Holy cow... Someone who remembers Merlin (besides Pal)!

Nice to see people from the old forums.

Erol will cause the death of 10,000 Gondor soldiers who are too busy looking at the pretty landscapes to notice the Mumakil charging at them

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

It's been some time since the last previews, and to bridge the time until the next dev diary goes online, I'd like to share some more screenies. Today, I will offer you a look at the forests and woodlands of our incarnation of Middle-earth. During the next couple of days, I will post some preview screenies of units and armies (battlescenes) that are finished so far. Enjoy!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I read this so called Bible, and found it to be a third rate story in which this so called 'jesus' is nothing more than a shameless lampooning of Brian, which has inspired joy and laughter in millions.
    -unknown YouTube user

oooooooo nice

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Now it is really starting to look like Middle Earth.

Revelo's Avatar Decanus

Sublime Eorl I look forward to seeing the armies you have done! You really have catpure the essence of Middle-earth I feel.

Tiro

Nice!

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Awesome!
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

The first official battle preview. Finally! In this battle, a force of Rohirrim light cavalry meets a Dunlending host of mixed infantry on an open battlefield somewhere in Dunland (infertile grassland climate, mostly). Both armies are led by captains accompanied by their faction's mounted bodyguard units. The Dunlending infantry is supported by 2 units of heavy cavalry (riders of the isenmarch). Although all preview screenies should be considered as a display of a work-in-progress, everything you see in this post can be considered finished - both units and infertile grassland environments. Unit stats, however, will be completely revised.

Enjoy!

I deployed the Rohirrim in two lines: Mounted archers in front, tasked with skirmishing a flank of the enemy and drawing some units away from the opposing force, and the light cavalry in two lines behind with the bodyguard unit at the front center. Since I always play battles in general's camera mode, I prefer to put the general's unit right in the center of the army and have a tendency to throw it in the middle of the action. This, of course, is a replay run in movie_cam mode.

The Dunlending host advances. Spearmen make the center, backed up by pikemen. Axes and wolfhunters - both armed with throwing weapons - flank the spearmen on either side, with hillmen berserkers on the outer flanks. Bowmen are lined up right behind the infantry, followed by the cavalry units.

I immediately moved the mounted archers around the enemy's left flank, putting them in skirmishing mode,...

...sending volleys of arrows into the enemy's left flank in hopes of drawing it away from the remainder of the force.

Meanwhile, the Dunlending army continues to advance, like the tribal pikemen in this picture...

...or the spearmen in this one.

Here's an eagle's-eye-view of the situation.

I moved the mounted archers further around the enemy's left flank and behind it, continuously raining arrows down on the infantry.

As usual, this paid off when the enemy finally seperated all three flanking units from the center to meet my mounted archers.

This was the cue for my cavalry to initiate the charge on the enemy's center, led by the hardy Rohirrim bodyguards.

The Dunlending infantry on the right flank countered the charge, like the hillmen berserkers here.

My Rohirrim light cavalry supports the charge with javelins...

...while the bodyguards nick a Dunlending spearmen unit...

...before they crush into the pikemen.

Meanwhile, my Rohirrim light cavalry has joined the fray on the enemy's right flank.

Combat at close quarters on the enemy's right flank, with the remaining Rohirrim cavalry raining javelins down upon the Dunlending center.

The Rohirrim bodyguards deal with the tribal pikemen.

With the enemy's right flank and center engaged, I sent two units of Rohirrim light cavalry scrambling to assist the archers on the Dunlending units on their disrupted left flank.

Taking the bait, the Dunlending bodyguards walk right into the trap, getting encircled by my Rohirrim mounted archers.

The Dunlending center breaks...

...but their right flank still resists.

The other - yet unengaged - unit of riders of the isenmarch moves in to assist...

...while the Dunlending bowmen continue to fire arrows at my mounted archers pressing their captain's bodyguard unit.

On their way to assist my mounted archers, the two Rohirrim light cavalry units mow down the fleeing spearmen.

Now the Dunlending bodyguards are really in trouble!

Throwing javelins at my Rohirrim hacking away at the Dunlending bodyguards doesn't make a difference...

...as the situation clearly shows...

...but exposes the wolfhunters' flank, inviting my free mounted archers unit to charge right into it.

What remains of the Dunlending center and right flank tries to run for the hills...

...as do their bowmen at the sight of the slaughter.

The Dunlending captain is struck down and trampled under countless hooves.

I always, always try to kill as many enemies as possible once the opposing army routs.

Following that spirit, my mounted archers manage to annihilate the few fleeing Dunlending riders.

No Dunlending left the battlefield alive, this was a good day for Rohan.
    Last edited by Éorl; March 23, 2011 at 10:49 AM.
    I read this so called Bible, and found it to be a third rate story in which this so called 'jesus' is nothing more than a shameless lampooning of Brian, which has inspired joy and laughter in millions.
    -unknown YouTube user

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Woooot! Awesome!

New skins for Tribal Pikemen, new armour for Isenmarch Riders and Tribal Spearmen. Great!
    The new grass looks pretty strange, if you're accustomed to vanilla stuff. Realy great work Éorl, it's a huge improvement!

I have to say, the shields of the Rohan Spears look too "plain". I'd say they need some sort of wood texture.

Btw, the AI's line up seems pretty reasonable, pretty unlike to what I'm used to. Did you make any changes???
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

Btw, the AI's line up seems pretty reasonable, pretty unlike to what I'm used to. Did you make any changes???
    Nope, I didn't. This is a question for Aradan, I'd say.
    -unknown YouTube user

Very nice, I especially like the one with the flying wolfhunter it looks like hes howling in pain as he flys through the air

Are the 2 handed axe men the new hillmen?