Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23383940414243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: The Official WIP Screenshot Thread

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: The Official WIP Screenshot Thread

I'd say testing is about complete -

Interesting! So you didn't pursue Dale to their capital, then. I'm guessing you gifted those Rhovanion settlements to the Elves - or did they bribe 'em?

I'm surprised the Shire is still green. And man, surprised that Harad was able to hold all that territory!

Also, I don't think I've ever seen past year 500. Nice!
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Yes, I'd drained Dale of all their armies (and was happily bribing any that dared peak their noses across my borders) but assaulting the city itself was a very daunting prospect (as no less than Sauron could attest!). The Dwarves had a full stack camped next to it and I didn't see any way to beat them without taking massive casualties myself. While fighting the Dwarves in Rhovanion I only beat them because I was able to bring 2-3 stacks against 1 of theirs (mostly hirelings) and even with that advantage I still took large casualties. Dale can only be assaulted from the east 1 stack at a time, so I focused on expanding elsewhere.

The Rhovanion and Woodmen territories I gifted to the elves, had been allied with them (and the Shire) for most of the game, so I figured having them help me secure my south-western border was fair enough. No need for force diplomacy either, 20k + a settlement and they accepted every time. There was a tricky situation where Harad started expanding into Rhovanion (they were at war with Dale over northern Rohan) that I managed to avoid by purchasing the settlement from Harad and then immediately gifting it to the Elves. 40k in total (minus what I got back from destroying every building in the settlement) was a small price to pay to avoid having to go to war against the strongest faction on the map.

Harad did pretty well to expand that far though I think they've reached their limit at this point. They suffer constant rebellions in Gondor (you can see Pelargir and Arnach have rebelled) and I doubt they'll be able to push against Adunabar any further north than Dunland. They actually benefited from Rhun taking a lot of the less useful Far Harad and Khand territories, which helped them better focus on fighting first the RK and Rohan, and then later Adunabar and Dale.

It was definitely a long campaign in number of turns, but it actually didn't take that long to play because a lot of the time I didn't have many armies active, especially early on. I spent probably about 2/3 of the game with only 4 settlements, and only in the last 1/3 did I start to expand quickly. For most of the game I was only at war with Rhun, and then later on with Dale and the Dwarves. Aside from those 3 I remained at peace with every other faction (Finished the game allied to the Elves, the Shire, and Harad).

Also, you may not have noticed it on the map but North Rhun managed to survive all the way till the end of the game, even if they did spend the last half wandering around Northern Greenwood.
    Last edited by webba84; July 06, 2016 at 09:27 PM.

I got very lucky, I think, with a previous Rhovanion campaign in that the Dwarves didn't have a reinforcing army adjacent to Dale itself - and they didn't attack me when I besieged the city - so I was able to take it without fighting them. I'm glad there are still moments when the Dwarves act as a bulwark to Dale, though.

So, diplomacy triumphs! Very well played, and very fitting for Dorwinion.

hrolphi's Avatar Libertus

.. Extremely good-looking Minas Ithil!
    I have been dreaming of this mod with ALL the settlements, I think we all have, but I understand that you have to plan and be realistic

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Cheers mate, we'll do our best to get as many as we can done.

In the meantime here's something fixed that was bugging me for ages -

Beware the Mumakil of Far Harad!

A little something from 3.3. Now, when you play as Far Harad, you can train Oliphaunts!

As a "minor" faction, Far Harad normally couldn't train these great beasts. But Webba's set it up so that if the FH player captures a Haradrian settlement with a Mumakil Training Grounds SB pre-built (and there *is* one such place at gamestart...), he can train Mumakil once he's built Hosting Halls (tier 3 military development building).

Mumakil, + the Retainer Spears assimilation unit (trainable by Far Harad in Umbar provinces) makes FH really feel like a lesser Empire - if you can conquer Harad, that is!

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    Beware the Mumakil of Far Harad!
    Oh don't worry, I will! The Haradrian UI looks good btw, never played as them myself. What's that WIP unit card?
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

That would be the Mumakil - we've got some unit cards that need doing for 3.3.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

New Dunedain settlement for 3.4

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Love it! No more ramps

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Well, the ramps are still around in a few special places, but this is the new 'generic' settlement map for Dunedain cities, so you'll be seeing this one most of the time in 3.4.

Great to know you are still working on the battlemap settlements! Good work.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

The street layout looks very familiar. Is this what we had in TNS?

webba84's Avatar Artifex

No, TNS didn't have these building models at all. The street layout is from a vanilla settlement though.

Ok. Are we still keeping the "one settlement layout fits all", a la DoM 3.3?

webba84's Avatar Artifex

If you mean one settlement layout regardless of city 'upgrade' then yes, there's no way to mod around that since the way that city upgrades has been decoupled from population size means that all cities are always internally the same 'size'. We literally can't have different city models for rural provinces and urban provinces because the game thinks they're all the same thing.

But the old, larger city will still be used to represent more important cities while the newer, smaller one will represent the generic Dunedain settlement.

Epic stuff!

Will there be an optional patch that allows for the 3.3 settlement layout if that is the player's preference? Not saying it will be, but the option might be nice.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

No, but it will be very easy for players to mod descr_strat to change any settlement they want from one to the other.