Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: The Official WIP Screenshot Thread

Default Re: The Official WIP Screenshot Thread

The first two are the same, yes, though only one is really available. No, they don't have javelins. I'll leave the emblem question to our modeller/skinner and unit card maker.

Personally, I'm not a fan of an emblem for such lowly class of soldiers. In regards to adding a bit of colour, it could be done, but with precaution for the yellow to be the main colour.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Yeah, some subtle highlights could be done, would help distinguish them a bit more from the levy versions. Also dont think shield emblems particularly suit a faction like the Beornings, they dont exactly have what you'd call a professional army.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

True, some decorative patterns on the shield would be nice though. Shields that are utterly plain, even without a shield-boss, look a bit funny.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Quote Originally Posted by webba84 View Post
    Yeah, some subtle highlights could be done, would help distinguish them a bit more from the levy versions. Also dont think shield emblems particularly suit a faction like the Beornings, they dont exactly have what you'd call a professional army.
    I'd think that even a low-ranking soldier would've been able to paint his shield (I haven't researched shield paintings myself, but from what I've seen, even the poorest of barbarian tribes had decorations of some kind). It doesn't have to be an ornate crest (such would surely be the privilege of soldiers from a wealthier and/or more stratified society), could just be a crude symbol painted by the soldiers themselves, perhaps a stylized forest animal - e.g. bear (obviously), deer (a common symbol in real life history), lynx (would add a unique touch), Goshawk, boar (does any faction have boar symbols yet?), and so on - or a tribal symbol.

Civis

A bear's head or a bear's claws would look amazing on their shields. I do believe that while the models are great, some further decoration will make them look beyond sublime.

Also, on an unrelated note, if I as a Beorning Chief conquer Framsbug, do I get access to the Guards of Framsburg?

No, Framsburg Guard are available only to Dale.

A bear's claw could work, I guess.
    Last edited by Bercor; September 20, 2014 at 04:50 AM.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Doesn't even have to be a bear's claw. A simple coloured pattern would already work.

Inspiration needed?
    http://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/vik1.jpg
    http://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/germ1.jpg
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Yeah, some of the units do need a bit more colour. After all, some of the Northmen units are rather similar, and different colours and patterns would help with that.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Something minor could work if Bercor/Webba is up for it, but the colorful Viking-themed designs don't seem to match the Beornings/woodmen, who are probably the most withdrawn faction in DoM. Anything added would have to be very subtle and minor IMO, probably earth-tones.

It's also important to remember that there are a couple of Beorning units not shown in the above image, and they will be some of the highest-tier Beorning units. So there will be some distinction between them and other Northmen rosters. To some extent, what you're seeing above is predominantly the Woodmen component of the Beorning roster, which tends to be low-tier-ish and quite similar to the 'basic' tiers of other nearby factions, such as Rhovanion (they all have spears/axes/bowmen/riders, e.g.).
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

While surely everyone would be capable of coloring their own shield, the colors itself may pose several problems like availability, price and so forth. I'm not too sure whether low-tier units of low-trade/remote/rural/poor regions would have access to them and if they had whether they would have the money to afford them.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    Something minor could work if Bercor/Webba is up for it, but the colorful Viking-themed designs don't seem to match the Beornings/woodmen, who are probably the most withdrawn faction in DoM. Anything added would have to be very subtle and minor IMO, probably earth-tones.
    I agree with this. The examples shown by Thangaror seem too colourful for me.

Civis

Something akin to the symbols on the shields of the Dunlendings, or Celtic inspired would go very well with them I would think.

I agree with CountMRVHS and Aikanár on this one. Subtle stylistic patterns here and there yes, but colourful Viking-themed designs not really, especially for low-tier units…

When I saw Beorning units, my first impression was how they are very close in appearance to early Balto-Slavic tribes. I actually think it fits them very well since they both would have very similar habitat and therefore way of living. I didn’t said this before since it has potential to unnecessary divert discussion into off-topic, but now I do to explain my stance on the matter.

Civis

Can we see what these Varaigs of Khands (The Northmen in the service of Khand) look like? They seem really unique as a unit!

Variag Axemen:

This is the only Variag unit completed as of right now (the other two are being subjected to touch-ups).

Quote Originally Posted by Bercor View Post
    Variag Axemen:

This is the only Variag unit completed as of right now (the other two are being subjected to touch-ups).
    Looking good (minor quibble: I'm not sure about the hafting of the axe, although the general shape is nice). I gather the "other two" are the light HAs and the heavy cavalry?

Civis

I actually think the other two units will be more heavily armed than this lovely gentlemen in tan up there, or at least they will have more of a "Russian" look to them than this guy. I still am loving the work though.

Yep - the other Variag units include a medium cav spear unit and a gorgeous wrecking ball draped in black chain and wielding a rather large axe.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...