Thread: [UNRESOLVED] Fort battles Extreme lagg

mattebubben's Avatar Senator

Default [UNRESOLVED] Fort battles Extreme lagg

Hello again i know u guys are starting to get Tierd of my name in the support Thread ^^
    the new fort battles works like a charm only 1 problem i began the battle no problem bombarded them no problem got a breach in the wall and when i start to pour in troops i get EXTREME LAGG i had 60fps asll the while but was stuttering like hell felt like i had 3fps or playing a online game whit 600Ms
    are u aware of this or is it just me again? and if u are is there any fix or are u working on 1? thank you pps this is the best mod for empire and the best Crew in this forum!

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: Fort battles Extreme lagg

It seems to vary person to person, I haven't had any issues with lag here, and it has not been reported in beta either. I won't suggest you reinstall it, considering you just did that with the naval. To be honest there probably isn't anything you can do about except live with it.

thank you for quick respons i recall i saw a guy telling about it on the No forts Thread poll some days ago i cant find it now so i guess its been removed

i had another battle today in fort did not have any lagg but it was much smaller and it was At Trinidad the first 1 was at Hanover probably dosent mather but just though u should know

Yes, it varies a lot depending on battle size etc.

Nosjack's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: [UNRESOLVED] Fort battles Extreme lagg

I had this in earlier versions of DM but I thought the lag was fixed in 6.6

anyway I played a fort battle with 6.6 with about 10-15 units total on the map and I didn't experience any lag, so idk whats wrong

It varies between users.

i fought a epic fort battle me as French Guarding against a Mughal Assault they pounded away made 2 breaches in my wall then they advanced i had put some inf on the wall and the rest to make a V formation towards the gaps in the wall so when they got in they would be cought in a cross fire sure enough the Mughals run Right in i rount 1 unit and then laaaaaaaaaaaagggg
    it feels pretty much like tetris in Slooow motion i only get movment every 5 sec... so 5 sec moves for a tenth of a second and then 5 sec of frezze again... i sat through 10 min of that and i promise my men did not fire more then 20 shot during those 10 min and i had more then 2000 men in the bloody fort.... after then 10 min i Closed down the game cus i was not gonna sit there for 3h waiting for it to end.....

i had more then 2000 men in the bloody fort....
    That would have been why, the more men there are, the more likely it is for lag to occur.

i know but its anoying that i cant have a fort battle since how often do u defend/attack a fort whitout atleast a half full army

TiFlo's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Tango12345♔ View Post
    It seems to vary person to person (...)
    Yes, it varies a lot depending on battle size etc.
    It varies between users.
    Don't take offense guys, but it looks like Tango is trying to tell you something...

THANK YOU TIFLO (I'm glad someone got the message )

TiFlo's Avatar Semisalis

Well, I quickly browsed through the topic yesterday and every time I'd see your name/avatar, I'd see "it varies..." written right of it. I had a good laugh.

Xwhyzed's Avatar Primicerius

Yes it is a totally random AI pathfinding bug from vanilla ETW.

i encountered this bug too.. relative low stack army. vanilla unit size, and fps hit rock bottom gradually after wall is breached.. any idea?? thanks and happy new year to all ^^

I have exactly the same problem.
    I think there is something weird with the AI, that takes too many calculations. Or maybe its the manage of RAM...
    but its definetly just in fort battles, cause the other ones works perfectly.

Geordie-warlord's Avatar Miles

I think the lag has something to do with the large number of dead-body's that are littering the battlefield as-well as the number of alive troops, i have experienced this lag myself and for the first 3/4 of the battle it was fine but after i slaughtered alot of the enemy the lag kicked in and i looked in task manager and my cores were running at 100%, i tried to lower my settings to the lowest but no joy. What i have noticed though is if you do a sweeping motion with the battle cam over a large pile of dead-bodies the game stutters, so maybe we need a mod to lessen the dead-body's by around 30% and see if that gives better results?

If you wish to provide one, then by all means go ahead .

Xwhyzed's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie-warlord View Post
    I think the lag has something to do with the large number of dead-body's that are littering the battlefield as-well as the number of alive troops, i have experienced this lag myself and for the first 3/4 of the battle it was fine but after i slaughtered alot of the enemy the lag kicked in and i looked in task manager and my cores were running at 100%, i tried to lower my settings to the lowest but no joy. What i have noticed though is if you do a sweeping motion with the battle cam over a large pile of dead-bodies the game stutters, so maybe we need a mod to lessen the dead-body's by around 30% and see if that gives better results?
    Well if the dead bodies would cause more lag than the live and moving ones that would be very suprising.
    There are a lot more calculations done to move an object than to just show it in one place. Not to mentions the pathfinding calculations.

The only thing I could think of is that if a unit dies then it is "stuck" to it's highest Lod model
    Last edited by Xwhyzed; January 12, 2011 at 07:34 AM.

I know that at times, when I breach the walls on 2 places ( The walls on both sides of the gate) then it's not unusual for some units to get stuck up there, unable to move while some of their units are still "free to move", they are on the other side of the gap. I have noticed that THIS can create alot of lag. My old graphicscard had damn problems with just that. I think that it is because the AI is getting orders which it cannot achieve. They just stand there and twitches. And thus it gets a new order. A new order. All in milliseconds. Which takes alot of memory.

Also about pouring through the breaches. That is also making it lag as hell. Or did. New card manages. Fighting the battle without breaching or so doesn't create lag so I guess it is pathfinding calculations. all troops in one place. Usually when I got my men inside the fort, the lag used to cease. But if there were some troops in the breach left, getting stuck or whatever, it would lag terribly. You could tune down the graphics for the siege battles if that might ease the pain. Might be bothersome though, changing graphics all the time. But it's all advice I can give.