Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Public Research] Sweden

Default [Public Research] Sweden

Here you can help GNW development by sharing here all the information/research regarding Sweden, from swedish names to family tree, to titles, to units (faction roster), audio material, visual references (video/images) and misc. information.

Note: information must be compatible with the mod time-frame (1700-1735).

* we're currently using Danova "poltava pack units"

Default Re: [Public Research] Sweden

current swedish roster:

Infantry:

Borkerskap (citizens militia)
    Line Infantry
    Line infantry (Varmlands Regiment)
    Pikemen
    Foot Guard
    Grenadiers

Cavalry:

Dragoon Cavalry
    Sweden Cavalry
    Drabants Cavalry
    Life Drabants
    Hakkapeliita

Foreigner Units:

Wallack (Polish) Hussar
    Zaporizhian Cossacks

Feel free to suggest more units under condition of fit 1700-1738 and most important be historical and accurate !!

Last edited by Ataegina; December 17, 2010 at 06:01 PM.

Maybe edit out line infantry and rename them to Karoliner infantry ? and probably give them lesser range but alot higher accuracy and more ammunation

Haršurāšaz's Avatar Senator

Borkerskap should be Burskap or Borgerskap

Swedish suggestion
    Infantry:
    Borgerskap
    Indelta Infanteri
    Finnish Regiment
    Pikenare
    Grenadjärer
    Lifgardet

Cavalry:
    Dragoner
    Lifregemente till häst
    Drabanter
    Lif Drabanter
    Last edited by Haršurāšaz; December 18, 2010 at 02:29 PM.

names above are just for reference, obviously ingame the most accurate better. Karoliner infantry, Borgerskap . keep them coming

Finnish Regiment
    Lifregemente till häst

can you provide any references? pictures(preferable).

Haršurāšaz's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Ataegina View Post
    Finnish Regiment
    Lifregemente till häst

can you provide any references? pictures(preferable).
    I got a book about the Carolean Army

Hakkapelitas were not uses during the Great War, So I took one of the other regiments from Finland.

Lifregemente till häst is a better name then "Sweden Cavalry"

Infantry:
    Borgerskap - City Militia
    Indelta Infanteri - Line Infantry for the Swedish Forces
    Finska Indelta Regemente - Line Infantry from Finland
    Pikenare - Pikemen
    Grenadjärer - Grenadiers
    Lifgardet - Foot Life Guards

Cavalry:

Dragoner - Dragoons
    Lifregemente till häst - Mounted Life Guards
    Drabanter
    Lif Drabanter (Bodyguards)

Wallack (Polish) Hussar
    Zaporizhian Cossacks

Hello makers of this mod. Keep up the good work. I have been hoping for this kind of mod ever since I bought M2TW..
    I found this website which might be useful to you. There is lots of information about Swedish military during 18th century.

In swedish army most units were recruited from Sweden, but there were also 7 regular infantry regiments, 3 regular cavalry regiments and 1 artillery regiment recruited from Finland.

Here is information about swedish military system and inclusive list from different Swedish infantry regiments: http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/regiments_inf1_eng.htm#General

Here is similar list from Finnish infantry regiments: http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/regiments_inf_sf_eng.htm
    Swedish cavalry regiments: http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/regiments_cav_eng.htm
    Finnish cavalry regiments: http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/regiments_cav_sf_eng.htm
    Artillery regiments: http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/regiments_art_eng.htm

There were also many temporary regiments (called a männingsregementen) which were raised in order to strengthen the army, which had susteined heavy casualties. These regiments were generally poorly trained and equiped, with older weapons and uniforms. (For example many soldiers had spears as their sidearm, instead of swords) http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/regiments_inf2_eng.htm#Tillf%C3%A4lliga

Well I hope that this helps little bit

from what i've read from the sources (haven't time yet to read all) but from 1690's onwards all regiments have the same standard uniform being from sweden or finland etc etc so what can makes Finska Indelta Regemente different from Indelta Infanteri ?

Yes, at the beginning of 18th century nearly all regiments had same blue and yellow Carolean standard uniform. In the end of the century, when new uniforms were designd regiments got own colours (e.g Swedish regiments had still mainly blue uniforms, Finnish regiments had usually gray uniforms and jaeger corps had green uniforms etc). But this isn't important considering time frame of this mod...

So Finska indeltas look same as all other indelta infatry regiments. I think you should make them recruitable only from Finland and perhaps Baltic regions and they could be inferior to Swedish line infantry and have lower statistics... They maybe should have less morale, less discipline and worse training than Swedish troops. But on the other hand they could be cheaper and quiker to produce.

Also you could make so that Swedish indeltas are good and aggressive attackers, but Finnish indeltas are more defencive capable troops. This is becouse Finnish soldiers were usually garrisoned in the fortresses of east Finland and baltic regions to protect kingdoms eastern border against Russia. They were first in line to fought against invaiding Russians and trying to stop them entering Swedish territory... Something like that

thanks for this useful information

Artifex

Yes, at the beginning of 18th century nearly all regiments had same blue and yellow Carolean standard uniform. In the end of the century, when new uniforms were designd regiments got own colours (e.g Swedish regiments had still mainly blue uniforms, Finnish regiments had usually gray uniforms and jaeger corps had green uniforms etc). But this isn't important considering time frame of this mod...
    Don't forget the artillery crews who wore grey, with blue details.

Regarding the cavalry, "lifregemente till häst" is a very bodyguard-like name for the standard cavalry. Shouldn't they be called something less glamorous?

"Indelta infanteri" should be "Indelt infanteri". Indelta is plural, indelt infanteri was made up of several indelta soldater (soldiers).

Maybe edit out line infantry and rename them to Karoliner infantry ? and probably give them lesser range but alot higher accuracy and more ammunation
    Did the soldiers of that day refer to themselves as Karoliner? I have always thought it was a historical term (it is a Swedish version of Caroleans - deriving from the fact that the army was built and commanded by kings named Karl/Charles).

Why more ammunition? The Swedish army was generally short on supplies, not least gunpowder. The common offensive Swedish charging would have warranted less ammunition than most tactics and the soldiers did not carry excessive ammo. Less ammunition would be better because it forces the player to use volleys sparingly and as a complement to charging - which was how the Swedish infantry was trained to fight.
    Last edited by Maltacus; December 20, 2010 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltacus View Post
    Don't forget the artillery crews who wore grey, with blue details.

Thanks to:
    DaNova (skin)

Artifex

I can't wait to see that model with the dirt and blood of Crimson Tide on top of it. DaNova rocks! But he's got two swords (?) A very well equipped artillery officer I say...

well two swords well i can explain this is just milkshape render, ingame you'll see only one !

Wow that gunner looks really good.
    Btw according to wikipedia (which is always right) artillery changed their grey uniforms to standard blue in 1710. But my opinion is that you should use that grey uniform. Its nice to have some variation among units, instead all looking same...
    What I read from Wikipedia artillery wore dark grey jackets, with blue collar and blue cuffs. They also had blue scarf, long blue socks, yellow pants and yellow vest. In hat they had red hatband..

Here is some pictures of gunners: Grey uniforms http://www.modellhobby.se/data//gene...l/27/27110.jpg
    Blue uniforms (sitting man) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._III%2C_36.jpg

And to have even more variation give some soldiers tricorne hats and to others karpus hats. I have read that all used tricorne hats in cavalry, but in infantry and artillery they used both hats...

Keep up the good work

Artifex

But my opinion is that you should use that grey uniform. Its nice to have some variation among units, instead all looking same...
    I agree. Not least because the mod is supposed to start before 1710.
    And to have even more variation give some soldiers tricorne hats and to others karpus hats. I have read that all used tricorne hats in cavalry, but in infantry and artillery they used both hats...
    It was more like the karpus being replaced by the tricorne hat generally, but it happened gradually. The karpus was kept and used when sleeping and resting, since it was much warmer. Elite regiments would have received the newest and best uniforms, followed by cavalry who were considered as the most important striking arm of the Swedish army. Remote, poor regiments like many in Finland would have used the karpus longer.

Both regular cavalry and infantry could have a mix I think, but elite cavalry and infantry should wear all tricornes to symbolize their status.

when the mod starts they still use grey with blue elements.

we've both on the mod, we've Borgerskap, Varmlands Regemente and Pikenare using karpus and the rest wich constitutes the best units uses tricorn.

I've always liked the Great Northern War, so I'm heartened to see this mod.

However, shouldn't the Swedes have two types of Swedish line infantry? The Indelt Infanteri and the Värvat Infanteri?

The Indelt Infanteri are the Caroleans, they are raised from the farmers and each promised a plot of land upon completion of service. They are professionals in a sense, but they should not be as well trained as the Värvat. However they still have incredible morale and great melee ability (they are basically religious fanatics and they practice very aggressive tactics). The Värvat Infanteri are the enlisted troops, they are professionals that fight for payment. They should be better trained, and they still have great morale and melee abilities because they practice the same aggressive tactics, and overall they are basically a step up from the Indelt. Obviously, the Värvat should be much less available than the Indelt.

The Imperial Splendour mod for Empire represent the Värvat as superior to the Indelt in every category except morale. They actually have slightly less morale to demonstrate that they fight with less religious and patriotic fervor than the Indelt, but their superior training means they are superior in all other stats. I'm not sure just how accurate of a representation this is, but it makes for a very interesting playstyle when playing Sweden.
    Last edited by WinsingtonIII; December 23, 2010 at 01:18 PM.

what do you propose for Värvat Infanteri ?

stats,uniform....?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast