Thread: Rise of Persia III - Preview I

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Default Rise of Persia III - Preview I

Rise of Persia III
    Preview I

Hello RoP fans!
    Today we bring you the first preview of the next RoP release: Rise of Persia III
    This preview covers our new, updated map, our progress on RoP III and a small teaser for coming stuff
    Enjoy!

Map Rise of Persia III has, next to all the other changes, a new campaign map. When compared to the RoP v2 map, you'll see that this one has a more "globe-ish" feel to it and that the distance between settlements is increased. To show you this, we'll give you pictures of certain areas, like Persia and Greece, from both the "old" map and the new one.

Let's get started

Persia:
    Old
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

New

Hellas:
    Old

New

Southern Arabia
    Old

New

Anatolia
    Old

New

And so on, and so on. You get the general idea. Do note that this is still a work in progress; faction starting positions haven't been "tuned" yet (some factions are even omitting).

Progress
    Rise of Persia III is progressing slowly. We don't have any set release date. Actually, the team doesn't even have a set goal. If we see something or think of something we like, and the rest of the team likes it too it get's in. Likewise, any good suggestion by anyone outside of the team is welcome. We are really trying to "polish" this mod a little more. It won't be a massive overhaul from RoP 2, but it will be a lot better. New music, a new interface (to a certain extend), new unit rosters for factions like the Steppe peoples, Saba and Baktria + revised unit rosters for the "existing" factional rosters will make this mod feel even less "vanilla" and more "RoP". Stay tuned.

Teaser And finally, we have something you'll all like. A little preview of something I talked about in the "Progress" part. Credit goes to our fantastic unit creator and historian, Rez!
    C'mon, look in the spoiler

RoP III's "Ten Thousand"

The Anusyia, more famously known as 'The Immortals', are the crystalised evolution of the paired archer/spearman formation. The full regiment numbers 10,000 men and the troops are organised into ten divisions of 1000 men. The divisions are made up of ten 100 man units called Satabam; each with their own veteran officer and proud standard, bearing the colours of the Anusyia. The men were promoted from the ranks of the regular infantry on the basis of personal merit to ensure that the entire regiment was made up of hardy, reliable soldiers. Since the Anusyia remained on active duty at all times the regiment was possessed of considerable experience and training as well as a professional pride in their quality as soldiers. The saffron head dress they wear is the mark of the professional troops and would later go on to be the head dress that all Achaemenid soldiers would proudly display as a sign of their military station. In addition to this they also wore the characteristic Iranian tunic but with a central stripe of colour and decoration on the cuffs and upper arms of the clothing. This central striped tunic would also go on to become the uniform of the Persian soldier with differing colours making a distinction in rank or disposition.

They carry powerful bows to soften up the enemy as they approach but when they come within arms reach the Anusyia attack with 6 foot spears. They defend themselves with their wooden shields, rimmed and bossed with iron. After their shield their only other protection is their vest of iron scales which whilst strong does not protect the soldiers limbs or head. The Persians intentionally disdained wearing helmets to war as a test of bravery and whilst this, and the short pattern shields, also aided their archery prowess they would also have been exposed to a great many dangers on the field. The Anusyia are the Great King's right hand and they can be relied upon to stand against any foe anywhere in the world.

Anusyia Asabari

The horsemen of the Anusyia class are drawn from the regular asabari in the same way that the infantry corps were promoted from the ranks of ordinary soldiers. In this case however the troops are drawn from the minor nobility and often consider themselves to be held in higher esteem than their bretheren in the infantry. Their wealth is displayed in their colourful and well decorated clothing but they are also charged to wear the central stripe on their tunics as a professional soldier.

These horsemen carry javelins to hurl at their foes before attacking with their spears. Wearing a helmet, due to the dangers of falling from a horse, and a vest of scale mail the Anusyia Asabari are heavier cavalry than most and their excellent training and years of experience will ensure that they can go up against the toughest of cavalry detatchments. Even with their extra protection the cavalry of the ancient world was only rarely used in direct clashes with heavy infantry and should not expect to be able to defeat hardened soldiers alone.

Kara Arštibara

The Kara Arštibara were the true elites of the Persian army. Drawn from the ranks of the common Anusyia and equipped by the Royal armouries these troops act as the infantry bodyguard for Persian grandees and high ranking commanders. These troops are honoured with a central stripe of purple on their tunics and the distinction of fighting beneath the royal standard. This unit was a mirror to the court bodyguards known as the Arštibara but also as the applebearers. The difference was that the Kara came from the common people and actually fought on the battlefield wheras the court bodyguards were for the protection of the King's household and were taken from the youth of the Persian nobility.

They fight with the longer seven foot spears as they are a purely melee unit and they close ranks with their wooden and bossed shields. They wear reinforced scale cuirasses but still disdain helmets in favour of their saffron head dresses. These troops can go up against dedicated heavy infantry and fare well but their rarity makes them incredibly expensive to recruit and maintain.

That's it, people! Our first preview!
    The RoP Team: (Give 'em hugz and rep)
    Mod Leader:
    Nero666
    Historian:
    Rez
    Coders:
    Nero666
    Bull3pr00f
    Unit Creators:
    Rez
    Nero666
    Interface and other stuff:
    Bull3pr00f

Also, thanks go out to all the former (or inactive) RoP Team members and to all the mods from which we got permission to use some files!
    If you are a modder who wants to help the team: applications are always welcome! Just PM any of the RoP Team Members (or, if you want a fast reply, all three of them) stating what you can and want to do

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Default Re: Rise of Persia III - Preview I

FIRAT ING POST!!!

The new Anusiya look awesome.
    The skins are better. I like.

Also, a larger map is always for the win!

Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocroach the great View Post
    FIRAT ING POST!!!

The new Anusiya look awesome.
    The skins are better. I like.

Also, a larger map is always for the win!

Keep up the good work.
    I think the new anusiyas helmet isn't correct like ROP2.
    no offense but they look more Arabic than persian.

the would look better IF you guys change their helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    So you have reached the "NANANANANA I AM NOT LIZTENING, YOU ARE WRONG" phase. Just a couple of posts back you were bragging about how the Persians lost because of their inferiority, now you're saying you don't care?
    BOM to Kakabis
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=484498
    my AAR, please check it out

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Quote Originally Posted by the persian Immortal View Post
    I think the new anusiyas helmet isn't correct like ROP2.
    no offense but they look more Arabic than persian.

the would look better IF you guys change their helmet.
    Where do you see any helmets anyway?

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

Great !
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

Keyser Soze's Avatar Domesticus

very, very nice map . now I can imagine how should looks NC map
    sorry my english.

Credits go to Nero for the map; I did nothing with it except for posting this preview

*bump*

Sexyness!

Hey inferno I watched your lets play its cool keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by infernocanuck View Post
    Sexyness!
    hey I watched your let's play its cool. Keep up the you tube channel

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Nice preview

Lemunz's Avatar Libertus

OMG this looks amazing

Achea's Avatar Ordinarius

Great to see RoP still progressing. One of my favorite mods.

Holy tits I'm looking forward to Saba and Baktria on the new map. And rez, nice Immortals. I swear there's a niche for you out there, what with using legitimate academic research to work on a game. Or there will be once the old fuddy duddies are dead.

Thanks for the work, guys. Someone get this on the front pageee
    Last edited by zznɟ ǝɥʇ; December 14, 2010 at 09:20 AM.

Cheers guys! I added in a couple of other Persian units I made to the preview including the new, true elites.

@ Fuzz - thats the plan dude.

good work guys

Macedonia was,is and will always be Hellenic.
    it is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.

Awesome work! But, what about the minimap, make it more satelite looking?
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Well, it's a wip, so anything can be changed. I'll suggest it at the dev forums

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast