Thread: Single Player Hotseat - Playing Multiple Factions

Amaranth's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Single Player Hotseat - Playing Multiple Factions

For testing purposes I started several Hotseat Campaigns (those I played alone and switched between factions time to time) some months ago. At first I was deleting the saves once I reach my goal and start a new one for another test. But besides testing I also enjoy playing my own campaigns and continue them when I got the time.

But then recently as I was about to start a new personal campaign, I realised I don't want to go back to Single-Player Campaigns anymore. I guess I'm kinda used to playing several factions at the same time, including Rebels. Yeah, as a matter of fact it became my favourite to defend lonely rebel settlements against greedy armies of the surrounding factions. Though you cannot possibly save all of them, you can actually hold on to some key settlements, and effectively defend them, it's suprising how crucial some settlements for some factions, as without conquering them their whole conquest is seriously crippled for the rest of the campaign.

I just wanted to know if there are others play or ever played campaigns in such way, or should I find a way to free myself from the grasp of this control freak feeling
    Next Heir Ancillary (NHA) Sub-Mod for Stainless Steel & Third Age Total War

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Single Player Hotseat - Playing Multiple Factions

It's the standard way I play when testing the game.
    allows me to dip into factions and see what they're doing.

What I'm not certain of is how different the AI plays the game if you do that.
    always seem to be fewer trade agreements, diplomacy seems stuffed?

can be quite fun after 200 turns unleashing monster rebel armies on unsuspecting AI factions, if there's any places as yet unconquered.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozanov View Post
    It's the standard way I play when testing the game.
    allows me to dip into factions and see what they're doing.

What I'm not certain of is how different the AI plays the game if you do that.
    always seem to be fewer trade agreements, diplomacy seems stuffed?

can be quite fun after 200 turns unleashing monster rebel armies on unsuspecting AI factions, if there's any places as yet unconquered.
    That's what I'm talking about. I hide full stack rebel armies along the marching paths of the AI armies, and I organise raiding parties to their "less protected" settlements, giving the whole campaign a little challenge. AI always abandon their inner settlements, leave them unprotected, and for some factions those are a hell of a way to march, almost takes dozens of turns. And Rebels almost never fortify their settlements, they sit there with 2 stack of peasants, waiting to be taken by a 4 stack AI army. What I'm doing is increasing the fortifications of the settlements, by adding more tougher units in their garrissons, so AI factions needs to prepare a larger army to take them, cause I believe expanding should never be that easy. With their expanding limited OR slowed down would be a better word, AI factions are more balanced throughout the campaign map. I also use Pirate Ships to blocade important Ports, forcing AI to use their Naval Forces for some good! But at the mean time, I control 2-3 factions, sometimes, switching others as well for a turn or two (when they insist on acting like morons) and then return them to AI control when I'm done fine tuning, like diplomacy and such, I didn't notice much change between AI's Single Player and Hotseat diplomacy, but when I see fit, I intervene their affairs with other factions briefly.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    I just wanted to know if there are others play or ever played campaigns in such way, or should I find a way to free myself from the grasp of this control freak feeling
    I only play (singleplayer) hotseat nowadays.

This might be a stupid question (and off topic) , but is there anyway to take control of the AI in a non hot seat game?
    In my game the Crusaders have about 10 stacks stuck on cyprus with no way of getting of, there to dumb to build a boat. Is it possible to take control of them for a turn? or failing that use to console to give them a boat, or move them?

Quote Originally Posted by merocaine View Post
    This might be a stupid question (and off topic) , but is there anyway to take control of the AI in a non hot seat game?
    In my game the Crusaders have about 10 stacks stuck on cyprus with no way of getting of, there to dumb to build a boat. Is it possible to take control of them for a turn? or failing that use to console to give them a boat, or move them?
    Nope. But afaik you can switch the AI on and off. Might be easier to teleport that army? Do a forum search on the move character command.

Quote Originally Posted by bane_tw View Post
    I only play (singleplayer) hotseat nowadays.
    Now that I know I'm not alone, I feel relieved Hotseat (singleplayer) has much more alternatives, depth and fun compared to single player ones, after experiencing it for some time, I can't go back to dull single player campaigns, which I repeat pretty much everything every time I start a new one.

JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

I just do play dynastic politics-style. As soon as I got (halfblood) members of my family on a foreing trone, I took over that faction. When my family lost control I turned the faction back to AI control. Really funny sometimes, especially when you get kicked out of your own kingdom and try to kill the usurper and his family from your 'other' holdings.
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

Nope. But afaik you can switch the AI on and off. Might be easier to teleport that army? Do a forum search on the move character command.
    Yeah used the move character command, the fatimids are now facing a spot of bother...

Quote Originally Posted by JorisofHolland View Post
    I just do play dynastic politics-style. As soon as I got (halfblood) members of my family on a foreing trone, I took over that faction. When my family lost control I turned the faction back to AI control. Really funny sometimes, especially when you get kicked out of your own kingdom and try to kill the usurper and his family from your 'other' holdings.
    There are lots of RP opportunities like that to enchance your campaigns when playing hotseat-single player.