Thread: Writing Suggestions

Ulf's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Writing Suggestions

Hello, I plan on writing a book in the near future and I would like to ask the TWC for assistance in choosing what to write about. I have come up with three options that stand out in my mind. You may vote for one of these options or add an option that you would like to read about (When I finish writing I will have a file and email it to you upon request if I decide to write on a suggested topic)(please keep in mind that it may take several months to research/write). I only ask that If you would like to add and option please make it related to history, preferably antiquity. Now, my ideas:

1.)Alternate history of Vercingetorix defeating and killing Caesar at the Battle of Alesia. Then in Caesar's stead, Vercingetorix crosses the Rubicon and defeats Pompey.

2.)Historical account of the Second Punic War from the eyes of a Cartaginian merchant who enlists and is stationed in Carthage and eventually participates in the battle of Zama.

3.)Historical account of Seleucus and his assisnation through his eyes.

I'm not exactly sure where any of these will lead once I start writing (especially option 1) so they may deviate from the suggestions i've now posted.

So, please vote or add a topic, in the end I will ultimately be responsible for deciding what to write about, I'm just looking for what the popular demand is on the TWC.
    Thank you for reading this assuredly fantastic post.

Moved to the Bibliotheca, our literature forum.

Good luck with your writing, whatever you eventually decide to do; I am juggling a few projects right now, but have somewhat run out of inspiration in some of them I'm afraid.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

I like number two. I had thought of a less war oriented (BLASPHEMER! ) detailing of a Carthagninain Merchant travelling to, and becoming embedded in, the Iberian culture and tribes.

The good thing is that all your ideas, though potentially somewhat with Seleucus, are from the perspective of those less covered in literature. As people would have trouble knowing of Seleucus (I only found out about the Seleucid's from RTW).

Number one would leave a lot of stuff in the open. Does he go on to try and eliminate rome once and for all? Once he defeats Pompey, does he go back and have to suffer the gallic politics of chieftans and the desire of localized rule?

Number two seems better, because you won't be limited by criticism over portraying Vercingetorix (Even if we have little clue what he was like). You have more freedom from designing your own character, I think.

Ulf's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga
    Number two seems better, because you won't be limited by criticism over portraying Vercingetorix (Even if we have little clue what he was like). You have more freedom from designing your own character, I think.
    Strangely, I always thought number one gave me more freedom to do what I wished, because the thought hadn't occured to me until you mentioned it that the merchant could remain a peaceful man. Very good suggestion Ahiga
    Thank you for reading this assuredly fantastic post.

Yes, he makes an excellent point about more freedom for the merchant. You could put him in all sorts of positions or persuasions. You could show him as having his life destroyed by the romans or, conversely, as having traded with Rome many times and finding the war futile.
    Given any number of random, even contradictory metaphysical postulates, a justification, however absurd, can be logically developed.

Mapping advances anybody can use. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39035

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Why not a book on Roman society life? I would find that to be much more interesting than a novel that is war-oriented.

Civitate

Because it's total WAR center

As for me, I like number 2! Battle of Zama as a climax could be cool.
    proud patron of : ____________

alman9898's Avatar Centenarius

War-oriented provides action. It doesn't have to be all fighting; there can be a lot of building up to it.

mithradetes's Avatar Miles

i agree, war always adds a little excitement, but i also cannot stand it when everything is war oriented and there's nothing else to the story but killing and dying
    "What the ? I told you to put him in guard and you do a forward roll? You can take that summersault and shove it up your ass!"
    -Renzo Gracie