Thread: Making Roman Life Harder

Morfans's Avatar Semisalis

Default Making Roman Life Harder

I've found WRE is relatively easy, even in VH/VH.

So, here is a bunch of tweaks to make Romans life as hard as it is supposed to be.

• Battles - Recruitment Priority
    German factions can recruit plenty of cheap light infantry units - without control, the AI makes full stacks of skirmishers that are systematically slaughtered by any modest Roman army.

I have introduced a recruitment offset in the EDU like this:
    Siege weapons have offset 0
    All other units start with offset 1
    Cavalry units get a priority bonus of 2
    Unit costing more than 300 get a priority bonus of 1
    Unit costing more than 700 get a priority bonus of 1
    Bonuses are cumulative: a cav unit costing 1000 gets 2 + 1 + 1
    Restarted a WRE campaign and by turn #32 I've started seeing Vandal stacks populated with Gardingi inf, heavy spearment, Cnithe, etc - no easy life to Roman legions any more !

I have not tried yet, but these changes should have a limited impact on the Roman AI.

Note that in the EDU, I had already modified Roman recruitment costs like this:
    Upkeep reduced by 25%

Recruitment = upkeep

Turns increased by 50% (eg comitatenses 4 turns, aux pal sr 6 turns, etc)
    • Battles - Plumbatae
    Plumbatae must be toned down - they can make a big difference. However, their number can't be lowered (they were obviously 5, as seen in the models). Range is already low (40m). So we are left with the attack factor: in the EDU, I have lowered it by some 20%, but it must probably be further reduced.
    • Faction Standings
    Alliances with Berbers/Suebi are too easy for the Romans - desr_strat modified: now best relationship to WRE is "poor".
    • Settlement Mechanics
    Increased penalties for "distance to capital", "religious unrest", "no governance".
    I want to see some riotings ! An empire with 44 regions must be a pain in the neck to manage.
    Some effects are already visible after 20-30 turns. More info later. Your feedback appreciated.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Making Roman Life Harder

Very interesting. You might wanna talk to Rio, maybe you could work on v2.0 for him while he works on the other 3 ones. I'm a modder and I can already see the great improvements in this mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militae Flavius Aetius View Post
    Very interesting. You might wanna talk to Rio, maybe you could work on v2.0 for him while he works on the other 3 ones. I'm a modder and I can already see the great improvements in this mod.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee the continuous effort that is necessary to modding.

However, I can work on limited tasks + obviously all materials I have is at the team's disposal.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Morfans View Post
    I've found WRE is relatively easy, even in VH/VH.

So, here is a bunch of tweaks to make Romans life as hard as it is supposed to be.

• Battles - Recruitment Priority

German factions can recruit plenty of cheap light infantry units - without control, the AI makes full stacks of skirmishers that are systematically slaughtered by any modest Roman army.

I have introduced a recruitment offset in the EDU like this:
    Siege weapons have offset 0
    All other units start with offset 1
    Cavalry units get a priority bonus of 2
    Unit costing more than 300 get a priority bonus of 1
    Unit costing more than 700 get a priority bonus of 1
    Bonuses are cumulative: a cav unit costing 1000 gets 2 + 1 + 1
    Restarted a WRE campaign and by turn #32 I've started seeing Vandal stacks populated with Gardingi inf, heavy spearment, Cnithe, etc - no easy life to Roman legions any more !

I have not tried yet, but these changes should have a limited impact on the Roman AI.

Note that in the EDU, I had already modified Roman recruitment costs like this:
    Upkeep reduced by 25%

Recruitment = upkeep

Turns increased by 50% (eg comitatenses 4 turns, aux pal sr 6 turns, etc)
    • Battles - Plumbatae

Plumbatae must be toned down - they can make a big difference. However, their number can't be lowered (they were obviously 5, as seen in the models). Range is already low (40m). So we are left with the attack factor: in the EDU, I have lowered it by some 20%, but it must probably be further reduced.
    • Faction Standings

Alliances with Berbers/Suebi are too easy for the Romans - desr_strat modified: now best relationship to WRE is "poor".
    • Settlement Mechanics

Increased penalties for "distance to capital", "religious unrest", "no governance".
    I want to see some riotings ! An empire with 44 regions must be a pain in the neck to manage.
    Some effects are already visible after 20-30 turns. More info later. Your feedback appreciated.
    Great stuff

I cant as oy yet dive into any of this yet but continue to exress any ideas

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Some good points, Morfans! I would like to see more factions added. The team will discuss this some more in the future.
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

Quote Originally Posted by midnite View Post
    Some good points, Morfans! I would like to see more factions added. The team will discuss this some more in the future.

Thanks you, guys.

More factions would be really great - what would they be : Ripuarian/Salian Franks, maybe a split of the Goths, Burgundi ?

-