Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many soldiers can you display on the Battlefield

Default How many soldiers can you display on the Battlefield

Hey you Guys with High end Computers!

Since October 2004 a long time has passed. I would like to know, how many soldiers are todays high end machine able to display on battlefield? How large can battle in RTW actually get and what Specifications does your Computer require to do so.

I actually have a AMD 3400+ with the ATI Radeon 9600 XT card in it and about 1 GB of 400 MHZ DDR Ram, and I can display about 6000 soldiers before the game gets too rough to play.

So please post your largest battles and tell me, how many soldiers can you display.

P. S. Please post only playable battles, not 1 FPS - PC Engine only Slaughterfeasts....
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

I don't have a high spec PC, I can desplay about 2400 before my PC gets too rough. My PC is VERY low for today's specs
    256MB RAM---64MB Video Card--- 2,6Ghz proccesor--- I don't remember the name of my video card
    New pics on 24/4/2007

Seleukos's Avatar Hell hath no fury
    Patrician

Boudicca, your computer is about the same as mine, in what you displayed, and I can hit about 7,000 troops before being lagged to death.

I know that Pent uP Rage got tens of thousands, but his computer is what people like me cannot afford in two lifetimes.

If I remember correctly, Pent uP was looking at something around 35,000? I dunno, that might just be a guess.

There was talk that the most amount of people the game engine can physically handle was 64,000 but I'm not sure that was ever verified.
    Humble on Appearance

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

My computer is min spec, 1ghz, 256 mb ram, 128 mb graphics card, so i can get 2400 before it slows. Im going to be getting a new one soon though.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

shadowarmy75's Avatar Biarchus

There was talk that the most amount of people the game engine can physically handle was 64,000 but I'm not sure that was ever verified.
    UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD:FALSE

I saw this in prefences and I wonder what would happen if you changed it to TRUE.
    Last edited by shadowarmy75; January 06, 2006 at 04:16 PM.

your computer will catch on fire

Conan the Barbarian "All anyone will remember is that few stood against many!!!"

Most men complacently accept knowledge as truth. They are sheep ruled by fear

On huge a unit settings with 2 officers is 242. Now take that 242*20 units in an army*8 armies on the field at once=38720 The largest army you can control is 4840.

shadowarmy75's Avatar Biarchus

I just found out that just contorls how the AI puts reinforcements in. On False if you uncheck the AI Controlled box the units will come in until 20. On True the ones that come in until 20 are human controlled and the rest will be AI controlled and come in.

The most I can get on mine is about 6,400 at 1.8 Ghz with 1.5Gb of RAM. I'm hoping that with a better processor, motherboard, and video card that I can get closer to 10,000 or more.

i think i can handle about 8,000 people max settings 3.1 ghz 1 gb ram GeForce 6800

10,000 in RTW but only about 6,000 in BI

then i shoot myself
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

6500 with full graphics (except the new shadows which kill my computer)

I had a somewhat smooth 10,000 man fight in RTW RTR, I think it was a fluke because I was never able to recreate it without major lag.

About 6300 is all my comp can handle before the lag completely takes over. Oh i cant wait to get a new computer to play RTW with tens of thousands on a night battle.

LSJ's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I had a custom battle with 7500 men before I got any lag. On a 3500 man field flaming projectiles cause major lag for me.
    Its lots of fun to create huge battles. This one was was Makedonia vs Thrakae. One side had a mile long line of phalangites, cavalry, archers and spearmen, and the other had random phalanxes and thousands of falxmen and other barbarian warriors, as well as hundreds of light cavalry. I started to get lag when the archers fired a 800 arrow volleys at each other, but otherwise it was good.
    If only I could get a 64 000 person game going, I could recreate Cannae with someone! I would need the almost-in-production new Alienware computer with the Crytologic cards that haven't been released yet. Or Environment Canada's mothership of all computers. It somehow holds and uses hundreds of gigabytes of info at the same time, but I would get sued if I used it...

My fav part of MTW was the mongolian invasion, i'd assemble a huge army to fight them - though that fighting happened in waves.

In BI something similar can be achived with the vandal or hun hordes. LOL, as the saxons in gaul once i fought off an army of 9000-10000 vandals with 900 men (keel and 4 units of axe men) over about 6 years. Its a great system as you loose more and more men without being able to retrain them and the horde just camps there and attacks each year. Finally a small releif force arrived and saved my 100 remaining men from the army who had killed 6-7000 men over this time... but then the goths arrived Drama!

I've had 6 stacks in an spqr battle, 3 gaul, 2 of mine and a senate. So say 18k. My ibm thinkpad can do ~4 stacks on huge units, so I dunno how you guys seem to think your better computers won't do more than 2 stacks comfortably. I started using my low spec desktop today which displays 7k on highest graphic settings (except no grass) as smooth as. I'd think it could handle half a dozen stacks on huge on lower settings pretty well. And we're talking an athlon 3k or so with a fx5700 lol.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterKYA
    The most I can get on mine is about 6,400 at 1.8 Ghz with 1.5Gb of RAM. I'm hoping that with a better processor, motherboard, and video card that I can get closer to 10,000 or more.
    naaaaaa with 1.8Gz you can´t get 6.400... i can barely get 2500 without the game start to lag...

what´s your secret?

With XP3000+, 1,5Gb RAM and Radeon 9800XT 128Mb I think between 4000-5000 is max so that the game is still playable. I have to disable smoke etc and turn unit details lower but still it is playable. Perhaps in the future I'll get a new graphics card or upgrade to AMD64 and PCIe card...

This is when playing RTR...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast