Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum 2 Sub mod Questions & Idea's

GM207's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Ancillaries question

Quote Originally Posted by terzer View Post
    Hello,
    when l saw the Legion legatus retinue l decided that this retinue is a must in my campaign . I read several tutorials, l understand how it works, however l want to ask how to tell the game to trigger this retinue when certain unit is build (example: Legio l first cohort to trigger the First legion retinue). Also I'm not exactly sure where to add it (Leadership Ancillaries Section, Roman Leadership Ancillaries Section, Roman Offices Ancillaries Section?) Also l see there are some differences between the Ancillary Data and Trigger Data sections and the right order must be preserved, otherwise it will cause CTD.
    I know its hard, but l'm determined to do it!
    Thanks!

edit:
    I managed to add the retinue.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

edit 2:
    I edited the triggers, l'm not 100% sure if they are right

The trigger question however still remains....
    Edit: however l don't see any kind of trigger commands, which can be associated with unit training. So maybe specific settlement for a specific number of turns (end in settlement), or to leave it the other way around, the characters to receive this retinue (when specific traits are met) and then the player to add them in the specific legion (when you'r general receives 10th legion retinue to give him command of the 10th legion stack, which is not good, because many generals will gain this retinue).
    Question, how where you able to manage to get the count of men to 402 in the units shown above???

Default Re: Ancillaries question

The mod is complete by Drecie14 and it can be found in THIS THREAD +rep!!!!

GM207, more info for the unit scale HERE

UMCenturion's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Spoils of War?

Don't know where to post this. However, I know in EB they have a spoils of war submod. I was wondering if anyone has one or knows how to create one. If you are not familiar, it simulates an army gaining a little money after a battle as if they were taking from the dead or captured enemy. Thanks in advance. this would be a great addition to RSII!!!

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Proposal:New Roman Campaign

I like this idea allot! MAKE IT MAKE IT PLZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Proposal:New Roman Campaign

wouldn't that be the same thing as the Second Rebellion only with a happiness trigger instead?

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

C-Rob's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Spoils of War?

I'd be more interested in the supply lines of XGM XC but that sounds pretty cool.

I hope someone finds the the time to do it.

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

Default ancillaries help?

hey guys,

Im trying to add another set of ancillaries to my seleucid submod, but any ancillary i try to add is resulting in a "return to campaign menu" bug. Everything appears to be formatted the right way, just like the other ancillaries. anyone know what is causing this?
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Default Roma Surrectum 2 Sub mod Questions & Idea's

Post all Sub mod Questions & Idea's here.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Roma Surrectum 2 Sub mod Questions & Idea's

heres a copy of my ancillary entries, if anyone can find a problem

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Ancillary strategos_argyraspides
    Image silvershield.tga
    ExcludeCultures barbarian, nomad, carthaginian, eastern, egyptian, roman
    Description strategos_argyraspides_desc
    EffectsDescription strategos_argyraspides_effects_desc
    Effect Influence 2
    Effect Management 1
    Effect TroopMorale 2
    ;------------------------------------------
    Trigger strategos_argyraspides
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd
    Condition FactionType seleucid
    and EndedInSettlement
    and IsGeneral
    and not FactionwideAncillaryExists strategos_argyraspides

AcquireAncillary strategos_argyraspides Chance 100
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

Default RTW battles for RS

Has anyone made a submod that makes the RS battles as short as vanilla RTW battles
    if not is anyone planning to?
    i find the battles still to long and easy
    ,and after fighting a long battle after another i feel a bit tired
    infantry nvr brakes when charged by powerful calvary like in RTW and tho the battles are suppose to be realistic in length i think it gives up realism in the process
    it would be nice to see ai own me once in a while n since they love to charge head
    on i think it would be more challenging if it went back to RTW stats
    but if no one is making or has a submod of this kind then id like to make one
    but is there an easier way to lower all units stats without doing it individually on the descr unit txt?
    cuz that would take really long
    Thanks i would appreciate the help

NightEye's Avatar Ordinarius

I'm currently open for suggestions to what new unit or an existing unit from another faction to give to the Seleucids in my Seleucid Expansion mod

I have some pretty good ideas such as the Judean "Hundred Fighters" and Galatian Champions but I'm somebody out there with better historic knowledge can pitch something better. Suggested ought to have at least some historical backing to them to make into the submod.
    War... War never changes
    Made in Heaven
    Every time you think you've seen it all, life decides to toss several WTF moments at you all over again.

[RS 2.1a] Seleucid Unit Expansion V2

Hello guys, hi Spartan: I would want to install your Mods:
    1) RS II Four Turns per Year v1.1 -UPDATED WITH BATTLE FIX

2) [RS 2.1] RS II Campaign Map Tweaks v1.5

But, I was wondering if he were preferibile, to install one before or the other, in order to avoid conflicts and harmful overlaps

I have already installed some mods:
    - Ancillares
    - Roman V

and I will install "New roman legion id cards for unit slots (rome 0turn and 1turn)"

since I don't know well, both the game and the mods, hope to make all this in the just order. Always that,there are one...

ops.......... I have confuse the 3d....
    Last edited by srdn; December 22, 2010 at 05:10 PM.

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Where are optio(s)? You should add them.
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Default 12 Turns Per Year Sub mod with Historical Characters and time lines.

I'm working on a 12 turns per year RS2 sub-mod that includes historical characters, and appropriate time lines for such things as the rebellions as well as when historical characters enter the game. However, to make this work I have to make the rebellions trigger on an exact date/ turn number. This leads me to a question about the traits that are linked to the rebellions in the background script.

Below are a couple of RS2 triggers for the Caesar Rebellion Trait which is linked to the background script for the rebellion. Does this mean that there are two different Caesar rebellions? If so
    is this to simulate both the civil war that took place between Julius Caesar and the Pompious Magnus lead Republic forces in addition to the civil war that took place between Augustus and Mark Antony/Cleopatra? I need to know so I can assure that the appropriate characters are in each rebellion and so I can ensure that each rebellion occurs at the appropriate date. Thanks in advance for any light that you can shed on this matter!

Trigger Caesar_Rebellion2
    Condition CultureType roman
    and FactionType romans_brutii
    and IsFactionLeader
    and Trait Caesar_Rebellion = 1
    and I_NumberOfSettlements romans_brutii < 60

Affects Caesar_Rebellion 1 Chance 100

Trigger Caesar_Rebellion1
    Condition CultureType roman
    and FactionType romans_brutii
    and IsFactionLeader
    and not Trait HouseCaesar = 1
    and not Trait Dictator > 0
    and I_NumberOfSettlements romans_brutii >= 85

Affects Caesar_Rebellion 1 Chance 25

chris10's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: 12 Turns Per Year Sub mod with Historical Characters and time lines.

Quote Originally Posted by CPT Worsham View Post
    I'm working on a 12 turns per year RS2 sub-mod that includes historical characters, and appropriate time lines for such things as the rebellions as well as when historical characters enter the game. However, to make this work I have to make the rebellions trigger on an exact date/ turn number. This leads me to a question about the traits that are linked to the rebellions in the background script.
    Below are a couple of RS2 triggers for the Caesar Rebellion Trait which is linked to the background script for the rebellion. Does this mean that there are two different Caesar rebellions? If so
    is this to simulate both the civil war that took place between Julius Caesar and the Pompious Magnus lead Republic forces in addition to the civil war that took place between Augustus and Mark Antony/Cleopatra? I need to know so I can assure that the appropriate characters are in each rebellion and so I can ensure that each rebellion occurs at the appropriate date. Thanks in advance for any light that you can shed on this matter!

In short: For your conecpt there wont be "light" never ever

Dont take it to bad but what you trying to do is simply not possible due to engine limitations.
    I feel that you are in desperate need of studying the Tutorials (especially those in CODING and SCRIPTING) and hardcoded limts.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=195838

but beforehand let me tell you this...
    1. 12 turns per year would make the game an 7656 turn agony...this is..well...no comment..let alone the summer/winter change in the engine...gameplay wise this setting is catastrophic
    2. You simply can NOT create historical characters to enter the game when YOU want. Only way doin it would be per script but this would lead for sure to a campaign breaking Clone-Character CTD later. Forget about it
    3. Appropiate timeline for Rebellion ????........are you kidding ???...assuming that the Ceasar Civil War took place around 48bc this would mean that In-Game the Rebellion would take place after roughly 2028 turns...aaawwweeeee mate...Players are done with the game after 250-450 turns at most...
    there are numerous additional factors who are clearly working against your setting but the ones I stated should be enoguh for a brief answer.

I really dont think that this is a concept which could work in any way.

Default Re: 12 Turns Per Year Sub mod with Historical Characters and time lines.

Chris10,

While I appreciate the fact that you replied to my post I would have appreciated it even more if you would have at least tried to answer my question. In any case, many of the thoughts you expressed I have previously rolled around in my head, and some of them are valid points, at least to an extent, whereas others are not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by chris10 View Post
    I feel that you are in desperate need of studying the Tutorials (especially those in CODING and SCRIPTING) and hardcoded limts.
    I have studied many tutorials including coding, scripting, and hard coded limits. Believe it or not you are not talking to a complete newb. The only part of this game that I have no experience modding is CAS models, textures, and animations. I don't have the money for 3DSMAX which is the software necessary for model creation. I guess we will agree to disagree about what is possible, and in the end the results of my sub-mod will decide who is correct. Note my sub-mod will only work with alex.exe due to the fact that I am using more unit models than the 255 that RS2 came with. As we both know only alex.exe allows you to use more.

1. 12 turns per year would make the game an 7656 turn agony...this is..well...no comment..let alone the summer/winter change in the engine...gameplay wise this setting is catastrophic
    It is actually 3,815 turns of agony, but to each their own. I happen to like it and I'm sure there are other players, perhaps only a few, that would like it as well. I've already got that part working with no issues other than the fact that it makes for a very long game. The script I'm using even tells you what year it is in AD or BC along with which month it is via the export_advise.txt file.

2. You simply can NOT create historical characters to enter the game when YOU want. Only way doin it would be per script but this would lead for sure to a campaign breaking Clone-Character CTD later. Forget about it
    I have and you can. It is called using the console_command kill_character in your script. RS2 even does this for their revolts. Look at the RS2 background script. I'm starting to feel that maybe you need to study some scripting. Have a look here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=221683 . If you still have doubts maybe you should talk about it with HouseofHam or DVK901 as they both do this.

Currently I have already added Gaius Julius Caesar, Spartacus, Crixus, Oenomaus, Castus, and Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus via script. The toughest part is deciding on which starting traits each character should have based on their historical profile. I'm also working to add the following historical characters:

• Marcus Porcius Cato Uticensis
    • Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • Marcus Licinius Crassus
    • Marcus Junius Brutus
    • Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus
    • Agrippa
    • Marcus Antonius

3. Appropiate timeline for Rebellion ????........are you kidding ???...assuming that the Ceasar Civil War took place around 48bc this would mean that In-Game the Rebellion would take place after roughly 2028 turns...aaawwweeeee mate...Players are done with the game after 250-450 turns at most...
    You are close on the number of turns. In fact, 48bc in my 12tpy script is turn number 2,052. I have looked at this matter and considered using a 4tpy script instead. Another option I've been considering is changing the time-line to make it from 99bc to 14ad. In any case, I realize not all players enjoy very long games, but there are a few of us out there whom do. In order to make average players willing to play that long I feel that it is necessary to make player expansion much more difficult.

In closing, my mod is very doable. This is not the fist time I have undertaken such an endeavor. However, some of the traits in RS2 and how they are intended to work with the background script do puzzle me. This is why I asked the question above, and I would still be very grateful if someone were to provide the answer.

Chris10,
    While I appreciate the fact that you replied to my post I would have appreciated it even more if you would have at least tried to answer my question. In any case, many of the thoughts you expressed I have previously rolled around in my head, and some of them are valid points, at least to an extent, whereas others are not so much.
    I have studied many tutorials including coding, scripting, and hard coded limits. Believe it or not you are not talking to a complete newb. The only part of this game that I have no experience modding is CAS models, textures, and animations. I don't have the money for 3DSMAX which is the software necessary for model creation. I guess we will agree to disagree about what is possible, and in the end the results of my sub-mod will decide who is correct. Note my sub-mod will only work with alex.exe due to the fact that I am using more unit models than the 255 that RS2 came with. As we both know only alex.exe allows you to use more.
    It is actually 3,815 turns of agony, but to each their own. I happen to like it and I'm sure there are other players, perhaps only a few, that would like it as well. I've already got that part working with no issues other than the fact that it makes for a very long game. The script I'm using even tells you what year it is in AD or BC along with which month it is via the export_advise.txt file.
    I have and you can. It is called using the console_command kill_character in your script. RS2 even does this for their revolts. Look at the RS2 background script. I'm starting to feel that maybe you need to study some scripting. Have a look here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=221683 . If you still have doubts maybe you should talk about it with HouseofHam or DVK901 as they both do this.
    Currently I have already added Gaius Julius Caesar, Spartacus, Crixus, Oenomaus, Castus, and Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus via script. The toughest part is deciding on which starting traits each character should have based on their historical profile. I'm also working to add the following historical characters:

• Marcus Porcius Cato Uticensis
    • Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • Marcus Licinius Crassus
    • Marcus Junius Brutus
    • Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus
    • Agrippa
    • Marcus Antonius

You are close on the number of turns. In fact, 48bc in my 12tpy script is turn number 2,052. I have looked at this matter and considered using a 4tpy script instead. Another option I've been considering is changing the time-line to make it from 99bc to 14ad. In any case, I realize not all players enjoy very long games, but there are a few of us out there whom do. In order to make average players willing to play that long I feel that it is necessary to make player expansion much more difficult.
    In closing, my mod is very doable. This is not the fist time I have undertaken such an endeavor. However, some of the traits in RS2 and how they are intended to work with the background script do puzzle me. This is why I asked the question above, and I would still be very grateful if someone were to provide the answer.
    yeahh..no hard feelings...

1.yeah...sloppy mistake... 3815 turns...just an average of 5 minutes of each turns would make this
    19075 minutes / 60 = 317,9 hours without considering any time spent on battles...c'mon you cant be serious

2. I dont need confirmation from somebody else...you did not have done your homework,mate...Spawning Generals with Armys and use kill_character is not the same as these "persons" are not named characters anymore with traits and ancillarys...just dumb captains...you got this totally wrong...if you spawn a character and you kill him per console he is dead.
    If you would have paid attention you would have noticed that all named characters spawned by Backgroundscript in RSII have been killed in RSII 2.1 due to the fact that they will cause a clone CTD...so..NO named characters anymore and no need to bother with traits and ancillarys.
    I warn you....If you spawn named characters and let them alive they will break your campaign for sure,thats not an option if you maybe considering it.

3. Just one example of the dozens why your setting will not work. The AI tends to form superfactions and only can be hold in place for a relative short while but at a certain point one AI faction WILL steamroll its area and form a superfaction. Imagine it is Parthia and you have planned Cleopatra to appear on 60bc but by this date parthia already destroyed egypt and all that work was useless....
    of course you can do it with roman characters only but Iam afraid that by the time you spawn Caesar there will be only one !!! AI faction left on the map becasue it steamrolled all others.

I coud tell you a long list of more downsides but I feel you would not listen so I only can wish you good luck...
    Last edited by chris10; December 29, 2010 at 12:02 PM.

Chris10,

Once again I appreciate your feedback.

3815 turns...just an average of 5 minutes of each turns would make this
    19075 minutes / 60 = 317,9 hours without considering any time spent on battles...c'mon you cant be serious
    Valid point you make here. 99% of people would probably not be willing to spend nearly a year on a single campaign. I happen to be in that very small minority.

If you would have paid attention you would have noticed that all named characters spawned by Backgroundscript in RSII have been killed in RSII 2.1 due to the fact that they will cause a clone CTD...so..NO named characters anymore and no need to bother with traits and ancillarys.
    I have noticed that they changed the named characters to generals in RSII 2.1. However, I don't believe the named characters was causing the CTD. If you kill any character using kill_character with the name of your spawned character before you spawn him then you don't have a cloned character. I believe the end of turn CTDs in the original version of RS2 had more to do with the revolt CTD and perhaps a few other issues. Further, my thought on why the named characters were removed from the background script was because so many people complained that the release version of RS2 was too difficult. Hence, DVK901 replaced the powerful named characters with dumb generals. I may be wrong behind his reasoning, but that was my impression of his reasoning. On this point as to whether spawning named characters causes the CTD we will continue to disagree.

3. Just one example of the dozens why your setting will not work. The AI tends to form superfactions and only can be hold in place for a relative short while but at a certain point one AI faction WILL steamroll its area and form a superfaction. Imagine it is Parthia and you have planned Cleopatra to appear on 60bc but by this date parthia already destroyed egypt and all that work was useless....of course you can do it with roman characters only but Iam afraid that by the time you spawn Caesar there will be only one !!! AI faction left on the map becasue it steamrolled all others.
    Again this is not my first rodeo. I know about super-factions, and the longer the campaign goes on the less likely that a multitude of factions will exist. RS2 uses some admirable features to increase survivability of factions. However, there are more methods that they could have used which I plan on using. This is not an easy undertaking to say the least, but I believe I can greatly improve upon the survivability of each AI faction. I have also thought about scenarios such as the one you pointed out with Cleopatra. This is where "if" conditionals can come in handy. Cleopatra and the faction of egypt do not have to exist for a revolt to be lead by Mark Antony. In fact, via script my plan is for him to switch from Romans_Brutii to Roman Rebels (thrace).

In any case, the point I agree with you the most on is that my concept of a mod should be shortened in years/turns. Either by qty of turns per year or the time frame that it covers in itself, or perhaps by both. I'm sure that I am one of the very few players that likes a campaign that lasts for a very long time with very slow progress.
    Last edited by CPT Worsham; December 29, 2010 at 12:40 PM.

I have noticed that they changed the named characters to generals in RSII 2.1. However, I don't believe the named characters was causing the CTD. If you kill any character using kill_character with the name of your spawned character before you spawn him then you don't have a cloned character. I believe the end of turn CTDs in the original version of RS2 had more to do with the revolt CTD and perhaps a few other issues. Further, my thought on why the named characters were removed from the background script was because so many people complained that the release version of RS2 was too difficult. Hence, DVK901 replaced the powerful named characters with dumb generals. I may be wrong behind his reasoning, but that was my impression of his reasoning. On this point as to whether spawning named characters causes the CTD we will continue to disagree.
    sighhhh....you should not base your work on simple "assumptions" or believings just because they fit your purpose but more on proper research...I post you a qoute from tone and you really should listen...forget about spawning characters..It will break your campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Any named character has the potential to be cloned and cause a CTD. That's the reason we removed the named generals from the AI stacks.

If you kill any character using kill_character with the name of your spawned character before you spawn him then you don't have a cloned character.
    Mate...if you kill the charater on spawning him then you dont have obviously a character which can be cloned but you wont have named character with traits either..is this so difficult to understand? And if you have to kill the characters when spawning them you wont have the historical persons...a simple logical chain

I have the impression you do not understand fully what the clone character CTD really means...your statements are proof of that...to enlight yourself I recommend to read this thread

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...18#post4067818

start reading from post no 5 and read until th end
    Last edited by chris10; December 29, 2010 at 01:55 PM.

Chris10,

I've read the thread that you pointed me to many times before. I've even pointed it out to others in the past. As you can see I even made a post in that thread on May, 14 2010. The one thing in that thread that never got my attention was this statement by Aradan, "Nope, I've never had cloning for the player's faction, just AI." If that is the case then perhaps scripting named characters is limited only to the players faction. I will do some thorough testing on the AI to see if I can make it CTD with these scripted named characters. However, it is important to note that the entire thread talks about named characters in descr_strat that are not part of the family tree rather than scripted named characters.

I think maybe the problem between us not being able to understand one another is that you are speaking the Queen's English and I'm speaking American English. You don't seem to understand what I am saying about killing a character before spawning one with the same name. In any case, I've used this method many times in the past without issue. I'm alarmed by the qoute by Aradan above and I will conduct further testing based on that qoute. Maybe you understood most of what I said with my American English. If so that is great, but if not maybe we need an interpreter.

By the way you still have not attempted to answer my question above. Do you know the answer?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast