Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum 2 Sub mod Questions & Idea's

Default Ancillaries question

Apple: Post all Sub mod Questions & Idea's in this thread.

Original post:

EDIT: The mod is complete by Drecie14 and it can be found in THIS THREAD +rep!!!!

OLD:
    Hello,
    when l saw the Legion legatus retinue l decided that this retinue is a must in my campaign . I read several tutorials, l understand how it works, however l want to ask how to tell the game to trigger this retinue when certain unit is build (example: Legio l first cohort to trigger the First legion retinue). Also I'm not exactly sure where to add it (Leadership Ancillaries Section, Roman Leadership Ancillaries Section, Roman Offices Ancillaries Section?) Also l see there are some differences between the Ancillary Data and Trigger Data sections and the right order must be preserved, otherwise it will cause CTD.
    I know its hard, but l'm determined to do it!
    Thanks!

edit:
    I managed to add the retinue.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

edit 2:
    I edited the triggers, l'm not 100% sure if they are right
    Trigger Roman_I_Legion
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd
    Condition not EndedInSettlement
    and CultureType roman
    and not Trait Plebeian = 1
    and IsGeneral
    and Trait Legatus_Legionis = 1
    and not PoliticalGeneral

AcquireAncillary Roman_I_Legion chance 80
    The trigger question however still remains....
    Edit: however l don't see any kind of trigger commands, which can be associated with unit training. So maybe specific settlement for a specific number of turns (end in settlement), or to leave it the other way around, the characters to receive this retinue (when specific traits are met) and then the player to add them in the specific legion (when you'r general receives 10th legion retinue to give him command of the 10th legion stack, which is not good, because many generals will gain this retinue).
    Last edited by apple; December 11, 2010 at 02:52 PM.

CenturiO-LuciuS-VorenuS's Avatar Civis
    Germany, Kaiserslautern, Rheinland-Pfalz near by a small proportion of the Limes

Default Re: Ancillaries question

Personally i miss the Legion ancillary feature from the early RS II beta
    and it would be great if you could get it working

Marcus Antonius> Caesar has many more legions than the Thirteenth
    Scipio>Yes, on the far side of the Alps
    Marcus Antonius> Winter does not last forever. Spring comes. Snows melt.
    Scipio>That is a threat!
    Marcus Antonius> No, I assure you, that is no threat. Snows always melt.

New update:
    I added all legion banners with working description.
    However l can't find a way to exclude banners. When the character receives retinue banner, the game tries to add all banners and the game will crash.
    There are two possibilities:
    Trying to find a way to exclude legion banners.
    Change every legion banner requirements so the trigger will be different.

For now the requirements are:
    The character be roman
    Not to be plebeian
    To be general
    To be Legatus Legionis
    No political general
    To have minimum 2 command stars (it's logical, he has to have some experience)
    To have won a battle as attacker (a proof this general will be used offensively)
    Every legion banner have different fighting culture. It means legio l Minerva banner will receive only character, fought greeks. Also for eastern legions, egyptians, nomad and barbarian. This will minimize the chance a legatus in Africa to receive legio l Germanica banner for example.
    Keep working...

EDIT: However there are not enough different conditions... SURELY in the future it will cause CTDs, because eventually most of the characters will achieve the conditions, and will receive many banners.
    The only possible way is to add only 3-4 banners.... What do you say?
    I pretty sure this was the reason why the DEV team abondoned this thing and added the Legatus as a trait.
    I will try to create different traits, which allow separate banners to be added, but this is a very difficult work, it will take time... The damn engine limits the possibilities again!!
    Last edited by terzer; November 05, 2010 at 10:18 PM.

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Try talking with Squid and Ardan. They know some nice tricks.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

The only way that I can think of for doing this would be to script legion recruitment for the player and tie it to the training of a first legion or something.....the difficulty is still in making the ancillary specific for the general commanding that legion

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

I personally would like a much more easier concept.
    Why don't use the same system like the provincial titles?
    As an example (don't know where legions where recruited)
    If you let stay your general in Alexandria he will get the Cyreneica Legion Ancillary, simply make the legions transferable so that the player can decide who leads which legion.
    Would be great for roleplay

Quote Originally Posted by Friedrich Barbarossa View Post
    If you let stay your general in Alexandria he will get the Cyreneica Legion Ancillary, simply make the legions transferable so that the player can decide who leads which legion.
    That's a good idea! Pick one city where a certain legion is "centered" - maybe the one this legion was historically based - and make a transferable anc available there.

chris10's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    The only way that I can think of for doing this would be to script legion recruitment for the player and tie it to the training of a first legion or something.....the difficulty is still in making the ancillary specific for the general commanding that legion
    Quote Originally Posted by Friedrich Barbarossa View Post
    This works in S.P.Q.R. and its a great feature.
    Maybe LT_1956 would give a more insight view.
    Only difference is that in RSII there are citys with more than 1 Legion to recruit but it could work
    in order...couldnt it ?
    If a City has Legion I, II, III to recruit....First General who passes a Turn in the Settlement gets the Ancillary for Legion I...second for II and so on...thats how they made it work in S.P.Q.R
    Last edited by chris10; November 16, 2010 at 11:54 AM.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

I pondered over this a long time, and gave up. There is just no workable way to do it that doesn't mess up other things in the process (like scripting recruitment for the player, or limiting a Legion to 'a' city). RTW just has no mechanism to link a character to a unit.

Now, that said, it could be done in a way that...again...messes with the normal processes of things. The ancillary could be given to a General, say, in Rome (where all of them would have to be 'assigned'). Using the requirements that the character have the 'Legion legatus' trait, and BE in Rome, and the 'not FactionWideAncilliaryExists' conditional in the ancillary trigger would guarantee that only General would be assigned command of 'Legion xxxx'. So far so good. The problem is...what if Legion xxxx doesn't exist yet? You would have a General for a non-existent Legion that could only be recruited in a region you may not even own yet.

OR, you could have 28 of these puppies....and situate them in one or all of the regions in an area where a particular Legion could be recruited, and make sure that you tie the trigger conditionals to the existence of the building that can recruit that legion.

Dang! I love thinking out loud.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    OR, you could have 28 of these puppies....and situate them in one or all of the regions in an area where a particular Legion could be recruited, and make sure that you tie the trigger conditionals to the existence of the building that can recruit that legion.
    Make it simple like that. So to summarize the thread thus far from previous posts:

1) Pick a city in a region where the legion(s) are recruitable and set it to grant the chosen general the banner / ancillary. One banner per city to make things clear.

2) Make the ancillary only available to that particular city when the Roman Fortress, Curia Hostilia, etc. exists. Basically when a named legion can be trained in that city. Also add the 'not FactionWideAncilliaryExists' like mentioned so there aren't duplicates.

3) General should have Legatus trait or not depending on how strict you want to be. Or just leave it up to the player to decide who to transfer the ancillary to.

4) +influence and +troop morale for the banners, maybe +movement too? Command stars would be OP.

Would be really awesome to see these banners finally used in-game eventhough not exactly the way they were intended...
    Last edited by Aurelius_TL; November 17, 2010 at 03:31 PM.

any progres with this

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

Default Proposal:New Roman Campaign

I am proposing...and wondering if its even possible at the same time..if anyone would like to see/help create a Roman campaign more specifically geared towards playing as the Roman Rebels. I dont know why, but i got a hankering to play as a rebellious roman commander against the Senate, RP Quintus Sertorius or something of that nature.

So...is this even possible to do?
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

Default Re: Proposal:New Roman Campaign

You mean, like Julius Caesar vs Pompey? The General vs the Senate's champion.
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable Bolkonskij

Indulge yourself into discovering the race of the Turks that stormed the Oriental world and regained their honor from the despair of decay.
    The Expiation of Degeneracy-A Great Seljuks AAR at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276748
    "By purple death I'm seized and fate supreme."- Julian the Apostate

I think it would be very possible. Just create another Play_Rome folder, make it Play_RomeRebels, and change the Roman Rebels to Playable. You would need Paedric to update the launcher, but I think he would be okay with it. I'm sure there's more to it, but those are the basics I can think of. As for Quintus Sertorius, that's another 190 years from the current timeline, so I don't know that you could do all that, without doing a whole overhaul, and then you would be creating a full submod.

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

You don't need to add it to the launcher to make it run. Just add -mod:play_ RomeRebels (or what ever you name the sub mod folder to) to your RTW shortcut.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

I was thinking of making the Roman Rebels playable, but im not sure how that would influence the script. I have very basic knowledge of scripting and the RSII script seems a bit..complicated

Sethiiro's Avatar Civis

Interesting suggestion Aspis, I've not played as the Romans so have no idea how it all pans out but are you thinking more about the second rebellion?
    " Fear is a potent weapon "

Pinky: "Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
    The Brain: "The same thing we do every night, Pinky—try to take over the world!"

in a sense. I was more of thinking in terms of an ahistorical situation. Role Playing even. Say you're a roman commander. Your legion loves you, your tired of listening to the senate, you rebel in say, Illyria or spain or sicily, wherever. from then on your province is almost like an Independant city-state, but Roman instead of greek...and from there you work on building your own roman kingdom without the hassles of the senate, and eventually take Rome itself

drecie14's Avatar Decanus
    Exact Location: South East Asia, The Philippines, Manila

this sounds like a great idea...

i took a peek in SPQR mod's export_descr_ancillaries file...
    i found out that the ancillary was linked to a specific city...
    these were the conditions used...

WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd
    Condition EndedInSettlement
    and FactionType
    and IsGeneral
    and SettlementName
    and not FactionwideAncillaryExists

but i think you have to ask permission from the creator of SPQR mod first before u use this

drecie14's Avatar Decanus
    Exact Location: South East Asia, The Philippines, Manila

no updates yet?
    don't give up now

i tried adding it too
    here are some screenshots