Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Imperious and Poplicola, 536 A.V.C.

Default Re: Consulate of Imperious and Poplicola, 536 A.V.C.

Scaurus seemed more partisan than usual...Lucius stood.

Then we shall put it to vote. If he reaches Rome and the vote is not yet decided I will add the army to my force and march upon Hannibal's position. It will take a matter of months for the army to reach us, we will use the time to come to a decision.

Remember Scaurus, we did give him permission to levy troops in Sicilia. The only thing left to be decided is whether he can lead them to battle. I propose he do so. Is there any one here who supports the motion?

I would just like to add, that if the army is in a single unit, there is a good chance it may be enveloped and slaughtered again.

Lucius sat back down near the door.

Last edited by dragoon47; January 12, 2011 at 04:58 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

"Forgive my assumption, Senator. I simply thought with one Consul in Hispania and the other recovering from wounds, that Imperium had been granted me. If it is not the Senate's wishes to follow the traditional chain of command, than I shall bow to the orders given me."

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

"Praetor, it is assumptions like that which lead further down the path to a return of the monarchy." Julius said, standing before the senate, showing a sly smile to the Praetor.

Gesturing to the chamber, he continued, "However, I'm sure many of us would have thought the same as the Praetor, no? we must act on Hannibal, if we are to meet this threat. I am confident that once Hannibal's threat is removed, there will be nothing to cause our allies to rebel, and if they should make the mistake to do so, we shall crush them once again. Fellow senators, i suggest a different plan of action that many would perhaps expect. With our raised army, should we really hastily rush to meet Hannibal in battle once again? I suggest the following: let us shadow him. Where he goes, a legion will follow. Force him to engage us on terms that we decide to lay out. But by the Gods, do not underestimate that man! he is clever and a trickster. But he is still nothing more than a Punic barbarian, a psychopath bent on the eradication of all that is good in this world, starting with Rome. I agree with the motion to grant the Praetor command of his army. For the sake of Rome, Cassius, i pray that Fortune smiles upon you..."

The senator returned to his seat..
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

"Senator, as much as I appreciate your words of support, I must remind you of one fact. Hannibal, and all the brilliance he contained, is dead. All we must do is wipe away his already wounded army and secure Italia once and for all. And to accuse me of trying to bring back the monarchy... such words border on insulting. Why would I, one of the common Plebians, wish to bring back the rule of such "nobility"? I ask you to consider your accusations more carefully."

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Why you say. You plebeians come her to this republics sacred halls, abusing and even ignoring the rules that is the very foundation of this state.
    You are the ones that say that you do it for the people, that you are the voice of the ordinary pleab.
    But we all know, every man of patrician birth knows that you only spread lies, lies to gain more power.
    Now tell me how is that not acting like one who wishes to become a Rex (king).

Shocked senators started to talk in high voices after they heard the last part of Naevius speech.
    Calling the praetor Rex, was he really in his fullest of senses?
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

Basiliscus watched as the heated debate reached its peak. Turning to Naevius and then Julius he said:

There is no need of this right now! The real enemy is there, on our soil, pillaging and destroying our country. And you fight among yourselves? Accusing one of imperial ambitions? We can have no turmoil in this chamber. We must divert all our energies and strength to salvaging the Republic.

If you do not trust the praetor, I propose you choose a candidate of your own liking, and then we can vote. The army has not yet assembled, so we have some time to resolve this. But if the decision is not made when the army is gathered, the praetor is the one who should lead it.

Now, I propose, if we agree on a candidate, to give him the rank of military tribune with consular authority. This office fell out of use some 150 years ago, but since one consul is in Spain and the other is wounded, I believe the time is right to use it again.
    I propose a vote for this office, and another vote deciding who should wield it, once we propose the candidates.

He stood and awaited their reactions.

If I may be so bold senators, I am not wounded, merely tired of exertions on the battlefield.

Lucius once again found it difficult to half-limp his way into the center of the Curia, careful not to show much weakness despite its clear presence.

If you truly cannot trust the praetor to do his job, then it seems I must fight Hannibal myself. This campaign season is slowly coming to a close and we have done nothing. The campaign in Spain has not yet bore fruit, the senate mistrusts our Praetor due to baseless accusation and conjecture because you cannot trust our allies.

If our allies rebel then so be it, we can crush them again. At the moment we have no army to defend Rome with except allies so it may help our relations to be a little trusting else they should finish what Aneroestes and Concolitanus started. We have two cohorts with which to defend Rome that this senate would deem "politically expedient," so we truly have no right to argue with anyone, least of all our allies. If they are going to rebel they will, Trasimene was a total victory for Carthage, there's nothing worse that can happen to our relations so we had may as well get on with it.

Lucius sighed and went back to his seat, disappointed that it had come to this.

Petillius stood ready to voice his opinion as the other senators considered consul Lucius' words. This was the first speech he was to make to the senate. He just hoped it would be a good one.

Basiliscus you talk of diverting time and energy towards the destruction of the foreign invader yet you offer us a multitude of votes beforehand.
    Voting is a time consuming matter, and we are not likely to all agree on a single course of action.

Senators, i am inclined to agree with Consul Lucius on this matter. What is the use of a vote, and yet another vote i might add, when by their conclusions, the Carthaginian army might already have struck a fatal and decisive blow.

The last thing we need is for our allies to rebel and join the Carthaginian threat. That will just serve to weaken our position. If we strike swiftly we can eliminate the initial threat and then if need be, we can turn to any other that arise.

I believe we should allow Consul Lucius to lead an army of Romans and her allies to strike before it is too late.

Petillius went to sit back down again, with the nagging thought that although he was in possession of average skills in rhetoric and oration, he would need to refine these skills if he were to be truly respected by the senate and people of Rome. He glanced around at the other members of the senate, which by this point were in deep discussion. Yes his
    speech was relatively short and to the point, but he had other things on his mind. He just hoped that a decision would be made in time.

Last edited by Imperator_OfRome; December 14, 2010 at 04:00 PM.
    Aulus Petillius Vespasianus: Patrician, Senator, Age 32

"Now, conscript fathers, there is no need for such delay! I am prepared, as we speak, to march forth and destroy that enemy army! My friend Consul Valerius is clearly unwell, and I would not want to put his life in further danger, though I appreciate his drive to defend the republic. These are men I have handpicked myself for this task, who I have brought together. I have their trust, and they mine. It is in the Republic's best interests to dispatch me immediately to scourge this threat once and for all!

"If you indeed trust your men as you say you do and are ready and willing to make preparations for such an act as soon as possible then you have my support praetor. I have always thought that quick decisive action would be the best strategy.

Petillius turns to the senators who are watching this brief discussion intently.
    He was desperately trying to get the senators who were so set in protocol and rules to see his point of view.

"Can you not see that to hesitate and prevent action gives the enemy ample time to regroup and form his own plans. If we are to successfully combat this threat we are all going to need to pull together towards a common goal. I have already pledged my support towards the praetors intentions. The question is, who of you will also do this?"
    Last edited by Imperator_OfRome; December 14, 2010 at 04:41 PM.

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

Basiliscus stands to reply to Petilius.

The praetor has my support. This isn't questionable. I proposed a vote merely because senators Naevius and Julius didn't seem to support him and even accused him of nonsense.
    It is better to calm the tensions in this chamber with the laws of our state, then hope they just vanish after a few arguments. Whatever needs to be done, to make things proceed in the right direction.

"I thank you for your support, Senators. The only true duty we have is to protect the interests of this body, and those of the people of Rome. We cannot be paralyzed by politicking in this moment of crisis. Every minute we spend deliberating frivolities is another farm burned, another village pillaged, another traveler gutted by this loose band of mercenaries. For now, without the head of Hannibal to lead them, we face what the Carthaginians faced at the end of the last war: an army of soldiers of fortune without pay and without direction. They only lust for death and plunder. There is no time to lose. We must crush them!"

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Another herald entered the Senate; he was from the Provincial Governor of Hispania, he brought news of increasing power within the settlement of Emporiae. "Senators! The Governor of Hispania has sent me to inform you of the beginning of a base level justice system in the settlement of Emporiae--" the herald paused and took a deep breath. "--it has only cost the Republic and the People 500 denarii and shall be completely done relatively soon." The herald bowed and waited around to see if anyone had anything to say about the work of the governor.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Petillius stands up to acknowledge the heralds message

This is good news Herald. A city without law is just a rabble! To build a solid infrastructure of law is an important task in any city. Over time, we should now begin to see improvements in the public order of Emporiae. This will of course, provide multiple benefits.

Taxes may now be raised , which, over time, will give a much needed increase in income, which we are sorely in need of, in order to combat the many threats within the Italian peninsular.
    There is also the possibility of freeing up some of the garrison for other duties.

Tell your master, herald, that i approve of his governorship within the walls of Emporiae. His thinking is sound, and his decisions have served to better the republic.
    Last edited by Imperator_OfRome; December 15, 2010 at 11:21 AM.

"I must ask again, before we get off topic: Am I granted leave to go to my troops? Time is of the essence, revered Senators!"

Civis

Finding it the opportune moment to allow his opinion on the subject be heard, Servius slowly rose to his feet and cleared his throat a few times, not wanting to make a bad impression during his first time speaking in such a formal way. "Good news from the herald indeed. And to get back on topic, you've my full support praetor. It's my belief that the Carthaginian scum have not only brought the wrath of Roma upon them, but the wrath of the Gods as well. May you find victory against these barbarians."

Servius sat back down and took a large sip of water, some-what parched from the few words he spoke.
    Last edited by Dull_Gladius; December 15, 2010 at 11:48 PM.

Gnaeus stood up after hearing the debate between the veteran Senators....

"Senators, Whatever we are to do, let us do it quickly. We speak of no time to waste, but here we are still, contemplating our choices! Let us move with haste if we are to meet the Carthaginian army, they will not hesitate this I can guarantee. I propose if we are all in accordance, to close this session and allow the Praetor to be on his way!"

Gaining his composure once again Gnaeus continues....

"Now, what say you all?"

Proud member of TFT.

I will have to agree. The vote will commence posthumously after the praetor's departure and I will handle the proceeding as long as I am here.

Lucius sat down in his chair for the proceeding.

All in favor?

OOC: Please direct yourselves to the polls coming up any minute.

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Lucius Primus twiddles his thumbs, he had no idea what was going on.

A letter arrived from Hispania reading as such:

Salve Conscript Fathers,

Word has reached me that a Praetor is being considered to take to the field in Italy herself, whilst the Consul sits at home with nought but a scratch. By his own admission he is more than capable to do his duty to Rome. Senators, I had no idea that the Cursus Honorum had been amended whilst I was away, tell me, am I now a Tribune?

It is the Praetor's duty to safeguard Rome whilst both Consuls are out in the field. There is no need for him to leave the city and should a vote arise to allow it I advise all those who would heed my words to deny him any such opportunity. This is not how Rome is run!

Titus Cassius Gerges, Governor of Hispania
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast