Thread: Naval Trade

Default Naval Trade

Just started my first R&M game with Mali and I'm steaming rolling despite the fact that there seems to be zero naval trade for any faction. This is a little weird. I've checked trade details and built ports and even naval acadamies, but no trade. There are also no blue lines for other factions. Am I missing something here?

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: Naval Trade

It will not show up on small unit sizes.
    I usually don't see much until I start building warehouses.
    It does favor land trade routes.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Have a look in the settlement details screen if there is any naval trade. Could be that the graphics don't show up.

If there is a direct land connection (border is sufficient, road not necessary) then there will be only land trade.
    If the distance to the next port is too great, then there will be no sea trade.see below

Edit:
    I believe this entry in descr_campaign_db indicates the minimum distance for sea trade (no maximum distance limit setting as I had thought):

<port_to_port_mp_min float="100.0"/>

Trade in Reg Prov is through the sea trade buildings only (merchants_wharf warehouse docklands) - which means there will be no sea trade unless you have at least the lowest level of this building tree. Ports alone do not trade, they only convey a general trade income bonus (in the form of a multiplier)
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 10, 2010 at 11:54 AM.

In Vanilla and various other mods sea trade is much more prevalent which is why I was a little puzzled. It seems that it requires further advancement than usual. For instance, with a shipwright, wharf, large bazaar, and paved roads Alexandria's only naval trade is to Gaza, preferring to trade with Jerusalem and even Benghazi by land.

Even in vanilla Alexandria and Benghazi would be land trade as the regions are next door. You can get Alexandria to trade with Nicosia but it takes more work.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jlchavis0844 View Post
    In Vanilla and various other mods sea trade is much more prevalent which is why I was a little puzzled. It seems that it requires further advancement than usual. For instance, with a shipwright, wharf, large bazaar, and paved roads Alexandria's only naval trade is to Gaza, preferring to trade with Jerusalem and even Benghazi by land.
    If there is a direct land connection (border is sufficient, road not necessary) then there will be only land trade.

Bowden's Avatar Ducenarius

I'm puzzeled. I'm having trade rights with literally everyone, but there seems to be hardly any trade. Why would this be?

Gig explains it in post #3.

Bowden's Avatar Ducenarius

I was aware, thanks.

as a portugal faction player this is rather unninspiring, but again, i was looking for an explanation too. Thanks.