Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flag and Faction Name Changing Script?

TuCoT's Avatar Biarchus

Default Flag and Faction Name Changing Script?

Will you use flag and faction name changing script in DotS? For example; when Kypchak Khanate comes to 1240s, will their flag and name change to Golden Horde? Changing family tree by script is impossible (as far as I know) but flag and faction name changing is possible, yes? (We can change our faction name in hotseat mode, perhaps you can use this script in normal campaign mode?)

Thanks.
    Last edited by TuCoT; December 09, 2010 at 08:58 AM.

Default Re: Flag and Faction Name Changing Script?

It's not a script and we haven't tested it yet (that I know of), but we have an idea on how to make it possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    It's not a script and we haven't tested it yet (that I know of), but we have an idea on how to make it possible.
    What is your idea? You make me curious. And noooo i don't want to use it for my mod at all...

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Storm View Post
    What is your idea? You make me curious. And noooo i don't want to use it for my mod at all...
    I think it's classified for now. You'll have to check on WikiLeaks.
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

pacco's Avatar -master-of-none-

Skinner and modeller for Roma Surrectum
    Under the patronage of Tone
    my shield collection

JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

I did, but it's not on the website yet. Must be in the encrypted file they sent out some time ago.

Did you really find a way of changing the faction symbol without consuming a faction slot? Just curious, you know.
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

I think the modders already told us they are going to do that? Fatimids changing to Mameluk regime by setting triggers?

Dohoh! Ayyubids first! It depends on the actions of the Syria faction, too!
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by JorisofHolland View Post
    Did you really find a way of changing the faction symbol without consuming a faction slot? Just curious, you know.
    Azim has an idea about how to do it which should work, but you'll have to reboot the game when a transition takes place. It has not yet been tested however.

\Vazul's Ghost/'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Azim has an idea about how to do it which should work, but you'll have to reboot the game when a transition takes place. It has not yet been tested however.
    Something like writing a batch file that replaces the files in game? But then you'd have to find a way to trigger that file... Or am I way off track? Or is it none of my business?
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν ~ μηδὲν ἄγαν

With a little thought, it will probably work.
    The Enemy of Human Souls

Desley's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by TuCoT View Post
    Will you use flag and faction name changing script in DotS? For example; when Kypchak Khanate comes to 1240s, will their flag and name change to Golden Horde? Changing family tree by script is impossible (as far as I know) but flag and faction name changing is possible, yes? (We can change our faction name in hotseat mode, perhaps you can use this script in normal campaign mode?)

Thanks.
    In Broken Crescent while playing as the Kingdom of Jerusalem.. when King Baldwin and Prince Guy die and they have no heirs. The Family tree switches to The of Ibelin family with its whole family (wife,children etc). Im not sure how they do that maybe some1 should ask?
    Will and act until victory

Quote Originally Posted by Desley View Post
    In Broken Crescent while playing as the Kingdom of Jerusalem.. when King Baldwin and Prince Guy die and they have no heirs. The Family tree switches to The of Ibelin family with its whole family (wife,children etc). Im not sure how they do that maybe some1 should ask?
    Does the old family tree disappear?

Jimmy-j's Avatar Civis

I noticed this to, but that family tree is already there. although not visible i think.
    I get messages that there is a .... de ibelin born, but they are not in the family tree.
    I find it peculiar

The 'weird' messages are caused by a family tree that's not related to the main tree, they can just reproduce, no problem, even 'take over control' of the faction, but there were some issues with them not showing up, then, IIRC.
    The Enemy of Human Souls

Quote Originally Posted by \Vazul's Ghost/ View Post
    Something like writing a batch file that replaces the files in game? But then you'd have to find a way to trigger that file... Or am I way off track? Or is it none of my business?
    Close. My plan was to have the batch file launch a program that runs along with kingdoms.exe. This program would communicate with kingdoms.exe and make the file copies, edits, and deletions necessary to get the right banners, names, and such.

For a long time this was all theory, but recently I found a way around the biggest problem, which was finding a way for our program, the transitions tool, to save the changes made in a game (such as the current banner of each faction) along with the game. We now have a proof of concept implementation of the transitions tool.

Resurrection and I decided that this tool will not be included with the alpha release and most likely will also not be included with the beta release. We are still not sure if we will use the transitions tool at all. If we decide not to use the transitions tool, I will release my findings to the modding community so that others can make use of them.

Dominion of the Sword, a Medieval II: Total War Supermod
    Under the patronage of Archaon. Proud member of the House of Siblesz
    My friend died from chain letters. If you don't post this again 100 times, he will come and kill you in your sleep!

\Vazul's Ghost/'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Azim View Post
    Close. My plan was to have the batch file launch a program that runs along with kingdoms.exe. This program would communicate with kingdoms.exe and make the file copies, edits, and deletions necessary to get the right banners, names, and such.

For a long time this was all theory, but recently I found a way around the biggest problem, which was finding a way for our program, the transitions tool, to save the changes made in a game (such as the current banner of each faction) along with the game. We now have a proof of concept implementation of the transitions tool.

Resurrection and I decided that this tool will not be included with the alpha release and most likely will also not be included with the beta release. We are still not sure if we will use the transitions tool at all. If we decide not to use the transitions tool, I will release my findings to the modding community so that others can make use of them.
    Interesting. it sounds like an awesome accomplishment (+ Rep), I really hope that you guys do end up being able to implement it into the game as it would really revolutionize the dynamics of the campaign map.
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν ~ μηδὲν ἄγαν

Fatalist's Avatar Foederatus

Azim
    So you are not sure about this?
    And what do you do if you fail? What will happen with the mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatalist View Post
    Azim
    I think that's what they are trying to determine. It's quite a revolutionary feature for a mod, and there's no doubt we'd all love to see it. However, if it doesn't work out, then I'm sure DotS will go on and the campaign map will be a dynamic and vibrant place regardless. Still, it doesn't hurt to cross our fingers.
    Last edited by Cyprian2; January 11, 2011 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatalist View Post
    Azim
    The transitions tool is not a core component of the mod. DotS will be still be released if the transitions tool doesn't work. It will just be released without some of the additional transitions content such as additional banners and stratmap models.

The reason that Resurrection and I have decided to table the transitions tool for the time being is that it is still fairly restricted thanks to the limitations of the M2TW engine. The player may have to reload the campaign to see some transition effects and that he may have to tell DotS what campaign he is about to play before he launches M2TW. This might take away from the fun of the game. If we can't resolve these issues, the tool will probably not make it into DotS as originally envisioned.

If the reloads and other problems cannot be fixed, I will probably repurpose the transitions tool for simpler tasks such as keeping statistics. The first script I wrote for the transitions tool keeps a record of the number of battles won or lost by each faction leader in a text file in the DotS directory. You might see something like this in the beta.
    Last edited by Azim; January 12, 2011 at 07:41 PM.

Dominion of the Sword, a Medieval II: Total War Supermod
    Under the patronage of Archaon. Proud member of the House of Siblesz
    My friend died from chain letters. If you don't post this again 100 times, he will come and kill you in your sleep!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast