Thread: Private Challanges

Default Private Challanges

What do you guys think of the concept that we make private challanges for one another?

For instance (example only), I make a challange that someone has to play as Juli, isn't allowed to conquer any territories for say 50 years. His goal is to help his allies gain 10 provinces within that 50 years. From there, he can do whatever he wants.

I just thought that making private challanges within SPQR would be a fun way to make this game last forever. If any one else does think this is a good idea, we need to make specific goals, rules, timeframes, etc.

Input?

It sounds like a good idea, so long as it doesnt degenerate into "Take Britain as Parthia in 5 turns!@!!1eleven".

-Revan

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Revan The Great
    It sounds like a good idea, so long as it doesnt degenerate into "Take Britain as Parthia in 5 turns!@!!1eleven".

-Revan
    Anything that involves blitzing would obviously be a no-no, since it's against the unofficial rules of SPQR. Makes more sense to have role-playing kinds of challenges like the one suggested above. I would suggest one like, say, play as Brutii, and use your navy to take Athens. Hold it for 20 turns with NO reinforcements outside of what you can build in Athens. Something like that really makes use of what makes SPQR special; huge AI hordes coming at you, and population limits on how much of a military you can get from one city.

And yeah, I'm sort of back, if anyone even remembers when I was here a while ago

Under the patronage of Last_Crusader.

How about, first person to capture denmark, as julii? Would be pretty fun, taking all the soldiers you got, and march through the lands of the barbarians... (install warcry mod to boost the fun)
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

"attack the argument, not the person saying it" -lee1026
    Sig by Manji

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

Quote Originally Posted by LordSaradin
    How about, first person to capture denmark, as julii? Would be pretty fun, taking all the soldiers you got, and march through the lands of the barbarians... (install warcry mod to boost the fun)
    Yeah without taking any cities on the way there...To just fight your way through hordes and hordes of barbarians, and of course use the killsheet to see how many you kill on the way. Now that would be a hell of a challenge.

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

I really like the idea of taking over Denmark, but lets make it all of Scandanavia. I think we need to specialize the rules a little further before we make this an official challenge.

Rules I've come up with thus far:
    1. Denmark, Norway, and Sweden must be conquered.
    2. Only five legions are allowed to be used if using Pre-Marius units.
    3. Only four legions are allowed to be used if using Pos-Marius units.
    4. No cities are allowe to be sieged on the way to Scandanavia.
    5. No units can be built or retrained after sieging ANY of the countries
    6. No reinforcements are allowed be sent.
    7. Mercanaries can be hired, but cannot exceed the original four legions (meaning you can't hire 240 warband until you've lost 240 of your orginal troops.
    8. There is no "withdraw from battle" allowed.
    9. All legions must stick close together.
    10. Must have a direct route (no going around an enemy to avoid a conflict)
    11. Cannot have any territory north of the alps before you depart. Must depart your legions from the area south of the alps.
    12. Must use standard Legion format: (Refer to SPQR house rules for units allowed)
    13. Cannot be attacking anywhere else simaltanuisoly to draw enemy forces elswhere.
    14. No assassins or spies allowed.
    15. Cannot build any watchtowers or forts on the quest.
    16. Must play on VH/M
    17. Preferable on Huge units
    18. Must play as Juli
    19. Must move maximum distance every turn

Rules that need modification or clarity:
    1. What year are we allowed to depart for scandanavia?
    2. What experience of troops are we allowed to use?
    3. How many turns are we allowed to use?
    Last edited by NorthHammer; January 04, 2006 at 09:20 PM.

Denmark, Norway, and Sweden are just barely visible and they don't have an actual city or anything, the city controling their province is on the mainland.

-Revan

I like this idea, but what I think you should do is add a bit of flare to these challenges. IMO, (in my RP-Nerd opinion, that is), you should pretend to be the senate. Add a bit of story and make a real mission out of it.

For instance (very quick and on the spot, so just a 'for instance:') -
    "A barbarian horde is amassing to the north. Put an end to the threat before it becomes too powerful for us to control. You may send a maximum of four legions north to Scandinavia, but due to the constant threat along our borders, the rest of your forces must stay in our lands. No additional men may be recruited outside of your four norht-bound legions, and no reinforcements may be sent along the way as there are none to spare.
    Speed is essential. Once you have raised such an army, they must reach Scandinavia as soon as possible. They must take the most direct route there, and may not attempt to deviate from this path, even if it means dealing with an opposing force. Dispatch of any enemy force that threatens your legions' trip, however, do not assault any of their cities while we are at war with Scandinavia, as we must not stretch our homeland borders too thin.
    At this time, two other legions are mobilizing to assault the western barbarian tribes. Conquer Scandinavia and hold it for twenty seasons, with no additional troops other than hired mercenaries. After this time, the two additional legions will move northward to reinforce you."

Im a big roleplay geek, and I'd love this idea if some story elements were thrown into it. You know, a reason for the challenge and all the bloodshed. Just IMO.

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

Yeah adding a little story to it, just ads more to the fun and (a little) more realism.

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

In vanilla I remember taking all my units as germania and immediately sacking the cities of italy

I think I might be able to just blitz my way up to denmark with the troops we start with. Germany won't produce enough troops quickly enough to stop you.

Revan- denmark does have a city.

In this game everyone has 0 build time for troops. So, I dare say Germany could make more then enough troops, lol.

-Revan

I think a storyline is something good to add. Thanks for the suggestion Handsome! Let me take a look at what provinces/cities are around scandanvia. The longer we wait to attack northwards, the more difficult it will be. I think this idea could really spawn into a revolutionary new way of playing this game (just my opinion).

If we start people off with a pre-saved game file, with the troops already built and in the right year, I think we could get a lot of people to play these mini-missions.