That's awesome!

I am from China
    But I am not the Communist Party of
    我来自中国
    但我不是共产党

Default Re: Preview: Settlements of Middle-earth

This is just epic...thanks King...

Almost surreal seeing those building in the M2 engine. One question though - are the settlements 100% done or there will be some small adjustments? I think that Minas Tirith could use some very small cosmetic changes. But all in all this is mindblowing! I am completely stunned.

Incontinenta Buttox's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Those are amazing screenshots.

Have you done testing with regards to pathfinding KK? I am also curious as to whether there are any issues with lag when fighting in these fortresses?

Quote Originally Posted by Incontinenta Buttox View Post
    Have you done testing with regards to pathfinding KK? I am also curious as to whether there are any issues with lag when fighting in these fortresses?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kong View Post
    pathfinding has not less nor more problems than vanilla settlements. Minas Tirith is obviously a bit harder for the AI, but doable.
    Don't know about lag but I'd be surprised if these towns didn't up the system reqs. even further beyond vanilla.

excellent work mate.
    barad dur,cirith ungol,minas morgul,the black door,osgiliat,dol guldur,pelargir,dol amroth,lorien and other important and famous cities and regions are in proyect?,thanks.

Spitfire -WONDERBOLT!'s Avatar Vicarius
    Canterlot Castle, City of Canterlot, Equestria.

The hornberg looks, kinda green... other wise epic,
    GIVE CREDIT TO YOUR ENEMY AND LITTLE TO YOURSELF, AS IT MAKES YOUR VICTORY ALL THE GREATER!
    -Under the influence of medically prescribed drugs, please take much salt with this post, you have been warned!

Breathtaking ! This really makes Third Age the best mod out there

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    I just hope the AI can handle these.
    Same here. Because the cities are worth ntohing in AI can't cope with it.

Scorpius Centaurus's Avatar Miles

Just amazing! +rep kK for continuing to make this mod the best ever!

django's Avatar Foederatus

Fantastic work!

Hero of the West's Avatar Artifex

this is truely amazing i love minas tirith, and i think Moria has been done great aswell

very curious to the suprise settlement so many great place that could be recreated.. i'm hoping Osgiliath, since that is one of the keypoints for gondor and mordor with lot's of fighting

Great work KK this is taking Third Age to another level of greatness

EDIT: read it isn't osgiliath.. so my guess is the shire
    Last edited by Hero of the West; December 08, 2010 at 10:45 AM.

T&D's Avatar Vicarius

I'm waiting for Bara-dur.+rep..

Quote Originally Posted by Hero of the West View Post
    this is truely amazing i love minas tirith, and i think Moria has been done great aswell

very curious to the suprise settlement so many great place that could be recreated.. i'm hoping Osgiliath, since that is one of the keypoints for gondor and mordor with lot's of fighting

Great work KK this is taking Third Age to another level of greatness
    What he says.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

wow, I missed it

my compliments, KK !

one more thing...may be it was already mentioned in Customs settlements thread, but I'm not visiting forums so often now...
    so these settlements will be available in campaign as well as in custom battles, right?

P.S. Congrats again, I'm stunned

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Just seeing these images is more funny than playing M2TW for the first time.

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
    wow, I missed it

my compliments, KK !

one more thing...may be it was already mentioned in Customs settlements thread, but I'm not visiting forums so often now...
    so these settlements will be available in campaign as well as in custom battles, right?

P.S. Congrats again, I'm stunned
    Seems most likly to be like that

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Elven cities: Custom generic ones from vanilla but now with new textures and alven archteture. I think its a easy way to do it. Well, after seeing what KK did with Minas Tirith, everything is easy for they.

Harad and Rhun: Simply editing EASTERN VANILLA CITIES should be enough, since these factions are more to arabic looking. Just use what we already have in the original game, maybe some texture changing.

Eriador: Well, the Shire would be nice, anyway its not that impportant since there was no battles in the books on that places.

Dale: There was great battle in that place in The Hobbit book. I think their culture is more to western european medieval so keeping the custom vanilla cities would be ok. Except for Esgaroth that obviously need to be edited.

Orcish places: !!!!!!!!! Custom Vanilla cities for orcs is the more clumsy thing you can see in TATW. Orcs dont have cities. Stone walls? Stone Towers? NO PLEASE! Just make their cities to be like forts or wooden palisades. Then just edit it to make textures look more dark and put some weird buildings in like tribal tents etc, I mean, a brutal place with rudimentary buildings.. Maybe some heads spiky on stakes and some tribal banners.

Dwarfs: They also need generic settlements. Wich would be changing with the upgrades. Made to look like Moria.

That sould be one of the weak points of the orcs, weak settlements, just wooden forts. It should be balanced with some advantage like fast recruitment rate.

Mordor: Same orcish cities I described before. Of course Barad dur and the other "special" places sould be edited.

Ok, now about the important cities specifically. I will enlist all cities the really should be completly edited.

Erebor: Moria is done so...
    Minas Tirith: DONE
    Helms deep: DONE
    Edoras
    Lothlorien: Lots of trees, like the city inside the forest. Maybe giant trees like in the movie, with buildings above, well you did Minas Tirith, now nothing is impossible.
    Rivendell: Lots of relief variations, some bridges and rivers inside the city would be nice (if possible, of course). Also lots of trees.
    Shire
    Moria: DONE
    Osgiliath: Like in the movie. River, ruins etc...
    Barad dur: Barad dur is more like Minas Tirith than just a tower and a wall. I mean, there is various walls arround the tower. Its not like an alone tower in the midle of a wall circle like Isengard. Its a entire complex.
    Esgaroth: Like in The Hobbit book. Its a city above the water, so lots of wood platforms and maybe building related with port.
    Isengard: DONE
    The Black Gate: There is no buildings, just the huge gate. I think you could try to just edit a huge gate and then make the script to work like a normal gate (MAYBE JUST CHANGING THE SCALE?). If not possible, the gate could be a wall, adited to look like a gate (see the movie).The only way to get control of it is destroyng the gate that should be almost unbreakable. Only with lots of trebuchets you could destroy it (wich forces you to have less army). Also, think about making it in the same height of the city walls so we can assault it with siege towers like a normal wall. Powerfull towers will make it a hard place to take. Bah... KK knows what to do.
    Minas Morgul: Green Fluorescent textures? Hehe...

Final considerations: I think the prime wish is to make every settlement a different place to fight. I mean, when you play MTW2 and you will attack a city, you just say: "Ok another city to conquer, I will act like always because all cities are the same shape." And after conquering 20 places the game goes boring because you know no matter how far you go, the cities will be the same.

So what would be really funny is: "Hey! Im going to take Isengard! Its not a city like the other ones, its a different place and I need to think about a new strategy to fight on it!"

Well... why Im saying all this? After seeing KK's Minas Tirith... I think everything will be fantastic.
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; December 08, 2010 at 11:48 AM.

chriskourou's Avatar Semisalis

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IS THIS FOR REAL???

Wow is a massive understatement

questions
    will Minas Tirith and the Hornburg have different gates (e.g. Minas Tirith: the main gate, a gate seperating the ground level with the first city level...)
    will these maps be included in the campaign cause for as far as I know that was also a problem giving a battlemap to a city on the campaignmap