Thread: Preview: Settlements of Middle-earth

Rero's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Preview: Settlements of Middle-earth

jizz in my pants jizz in my pants

EDIT: next settlement=gungbang or isengarg
    Emi master race!
    TheIncendiaryPig

Next Settlement : Dale or Bree or Goblin Town.

oh oh..-....uh .... uh... OUH oh
    i dont like lord of the rings but
    uh
    i have to ... play
    Leader of Colonialism Total War
    Thread with first Preview
    First Youtube Trailer

Erunion Telcontar's Avatar Senator

Minas Tirith should have all seven gates, right? Minas Tirith should be a horrible city to be forced to assault, I remember from the books that there was a gate at each wall, and each gate was as far from the gate in front of it as possible, with the road leading to the gate open to archers on the walls above it, so that breaching each level was a nightmare.
    When this is released, I am definitely going to do a defense of Minas Tirith versus as many orcs as I can....

This is altogether amazing, frankly.

+Rep for anyone who can translate! (The above)
    Auta i lóme! Aurë entuluva!

Grey Havens
    I bet its an Elven settlement.
    Last edited by Imrazôrs Erbe; December 08, 2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Elven/Elvish?! Elben hat auch Tolkien besser gefallen verdammt;)

WOW

bet the surprise will be a mordor settlement, either the black gate or barad-dur

Oh my god! I bow before King Kong, by far the best!
    I could not follow all the post, so I do not know if the application has already been made: there is already a release date?
    King Kong 'make this a Christmas present!
    Member of translation team of Third Age in Italian
    Leader of the AMF Mod

there are no words for this...

I hop the next settlement is erebor or minas morgul

KK,

Will there be customer "Default" settlements for factions? IE, if the elves conquer a city and hold it through an upgrade, will it look more "elven"; or is this a much larger endeavor?

Rero's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by brymht View Post
    KK,

Will there be customer "Default" settlements for factions? IE, if the elves conquer a city and hold it through an upgrade, will it look more "elven"; or is this a much larger endeavor?
    good question rep for that
    Emi master race!
    TheIncendiaryPig

carth's Avatar Tiro

your a god.. there is no other explanation..

this will take this mod to a higher level.. again.. it just does not look anymore like medieval you know.
    "By the blood of our people, your lands kept safe."

amazing work king kong!
    <ou show what you can

I hope Minas Morgul will be that surprise settlement;P
    Amazing work, didnt exept this so soon, and thought only Isengard and Minas Tirith was being under construction.

Question:
    Is there only 1 gate in Minas Tirith? I cant see any in pics. If there is 7, you cant take that castle with battle timer on;p

the date king kong, tell us the date!
    Leader of the AMF Mod

Stunning. As always.

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    Elven cities: Custom generic ones from vanilla but now with new textures and alven archteture. I think its a easy way to do it. Well, after seeing what KK did with Minas Tirith, everything is easy for they.

Harad and Rhun: Simply editing EASTERN VANILLA CITIES should be enough, since these factions are more to arabic looking. Just use what we already have in the original game, maybe some texture changing.

Eriador: Well, the Shire would be nice, anyway its not that impportant since there was no battles in the books on that places.

Dale: There was great battle in that place in The Hobbit book. I think their culture is more to western european medieval so keeping the custom vanilla cities would be ok. Except for Esgaroth that obviously need to be edited.

Orcish places: !!!!!!!!! Custom Vanilla cities for orcs is the more clumsy thing you can see in TATW. Orcs dont have cities. Stone walls? Stone Towers? NO PLEASE! Just make their cities to be like forts or wooden palisades. Then just edit it to make textures look more dark and put some weird buildings in like tribal tents etc, I mean, a brutal place with rudimentary buildings.. Maybe some heads spiky on stakes and some tribal banners.

Dwarfs: They also need generic settlements. Wich would be changing with the upgrades. Made to look like Moria.

That sould be one of the weak points of the orcs, weak settlements, just wooden forts. It should be balanced with some advantage like fast recruitment rate.

Mordor: Same orcish cities I described before. Of course Barad dur and the other "special" places sould be edited.

Ok, now about the important cities specifically. I will enlist all cities the really should be completly edited.

Erebor: Moria is done so...
    Minas Tirith: DONE
    Helms deep: DONE
    Edoras
    Lothlorien: Lots of trees, like the city inside the forest. Maybe giant trees like in the movie, with buildings above, well you did Minas Tirith, now nothing is impossible.
    Rivendell: Lots of relief variations, some bridges and rivers inside the city would be nice (if possible, of course). Also lots of trees.
    Shire
    Moria: DONE
    Osgiliath: Like in the movie. River, ruins etc...
    Barad dur: Barad dur is more like Minas Tirith than just a tower and a wall. I mean, there is various walls arround the tower. Its not like an alone tower in the midle of a wall circle like Isengard. Its a entire complex.
    Esgaroth: Like in The Hobbit book. Its a city above the water, so lots of wood platforms and maybe building related with port.
    Isengard: DONE
    The Black Gate: There is no buildings, just the huge gate. I think you could try to just edit a huge gate and then make the script to work like a normal gate (MAYBE JUST CHANGING THE SCALE?). If not possible, the gate could be a wall, adited to look like a gate (see the movie).The only way to get control of it is destroyng the gate that should be almost unbreakable. Only with lots of trebuchets you could destroy it (wich forces you to have less army). Also, think about making it in the same height of the city walls so we can assault it with siege towers like a normal wall. Powerfull towers will make it a hard place to take. Bah... KK knows what to do.
    Minas Morgul: Green Fluorescent textures? Hehe...

Final considerations: I think the prime wish is to make every settlement a different place to fight. I mean, when you play MTW2 and you will attack a city, you just say: "Ok another city to conquer, I will act like always because all cities are the same shape." And after conquering 20 places the game goes boring because you know no matter how far you go, the cities will be the same.

So what would be really funny is: "Hey! Im going to take Isengard! Its not a city like the other ones, its a different place and I need to think about a new strategy to fight on it!"

Well... why Im saying all this? After seeing KK's Minas Tirith... I think everything will be fantastic.
    Totally agree would just add Dol Guldur and similar settlements to Moria in the Misty and the blue mountains.

not forget to Osghliath, Cair Andros, Mitlond, Angmar, Dol Amroth, Fangorn (if you can), Tarbad (a major port Númenor) and so on and so forth XD
    Leader of the AMF Mod

Is there a way to make sieging a bit different? Some cities; like the Black Gate; should be able to hold out indefinitely to a siege, right? You should be FORCED to assault some placed; not just starve it out.....

EVYATAR's Avatar EvyatarNevoDesign

naaaa it not a great mod.....IT THE BEST TOTAL WAR GAME THAT EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wonderful!
    R.I.P Blackomur | The Shadow of Ishtar | Proud to be israeli
    My Tutorial | My Workshop | I.A.F Web | 2D Artist & Skinner

WelshDragon's Avatar Miles

Jaw-dropping work!

I can't wait to see this integrated!!!
    Men in general are quick to believe that which they wish to be true. - Julius Ceasar