Thread: Weak Infantry Squares

Default Weak Infantry Squares

I downloaded this mod a few days ago and I have been really impressed. The only problem I have is I find my infantry squares to be incredibly weak. More often than not, they are broken in a direct charge. I had a unit of Old Guard with the standard chevrons they get when recruited (around 6 or so) who were charged by a unit of Austrian cuirassier with 4 chevrons. The Austrian horses reared up at first like normal, taking some casualties, but then proceeded to run into my square and break it in melee combat. Had they not routed after about 50 casualties, they would have annihilated my Old Guard. My Old Guard were left wavering with about 90 casualties. I have run into many other instances when cavalry beat my infantry squares in a direct charge. I don't know if this is on purpose, but infantry when in square formation should be able to beat back cavalry charges with fairly minimal casualties.

Default Re: Weak Infantry Squares

Yes but on the contary squares should form 10 slower, so if it was realistic you would never even get it formed in the game (in most of cases). Square breaks becouse morale in this mod is very low also it appears that when cav penetrates the squares infantry gets atacked in the rear pentality or something liek that. One solution is increasing infantry mass ( it was already done) but it also has it limits, making it too high makes line fomration inpenetrable.
    Last edited by FilipVonZietek; December 05, 2010 at 12:04 PM.

filip i dont think it was morale issue he was talking ,he said "Old Guard" when it comes to morale i dont think you can doubt those guys. and i agree the square is damn weak. there is no rear,flank or front in square formation just want you to know.

I know better