Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hellenic States

Sabazios's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: The Hellenic States

Quote Originally Posted by Lanjane View Post
    Armoured hoplites are overpowered in vanilla imo. It has always been a crazy thing to fight with a fullstack of armoured hoplites recruited by Greek Cities
    Yeah thats true, but i think thats because the Greek cities already can build them from city barracks. Maybe move them to urban barracks and add thureophoroi to city barracks? I do think they will eventually need Amoured hoplites against enemies like Rome. So this way in city barracks they can recruit armies with hoplites and thureophoroi. Later they can aditionally recruit armoured hoplites and thorakitai. The thureophoroi should only be available to Greek cities though imo.

and what about the unit suggestions?
    Last edited by Sabazios; December 09, 2010 at 04:04 AM.

I like Sabazios' idea of adding thureophoroi to tier-3 barracks and Armoured hoppies to tier-4 barracks. I mean, the Massalian league already recruits Armoured hoppies from tier-4, so why give the Greek city-states the privilege of doing so at tier-3?

And what about adding a sword infantry unit (other than the thorakitai) to the successors? I remember something like that suggested few days back. The thorakitai come so late that it would be good to have another sword unit.
    Last edited by ninjabanana; December 09, 2010 at 04:18 AM.
    A Proud Diloist

-Finland rules
    -Hanoi Rocks rules
    -Eastern factions kick ass

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

New pontic bodyguards, finished just a few minutes ago

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Don't run too far, you will have to return the same distance.
    - Biblical Proverb
    Nobody will try to figure it out if you are made of glass or of metal. They'll treat you the same way.
    When you show your strength, you'll find a company of those who want to steal it from you, but your weakness, you'll be all alone with it.

- Winter Voices

Lanjane's Barbarian Empires * Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy * Extended Cultures V * Rome - Total Realism 8 * Lanjane's Mini-Workshop * Rome: Total Music

Looks cool. How about their stats? Are these pre- or post-marian?
    A Proud Diloist

-Finland rules
    -Hanoi Rocks rules

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

Thank you. They are pre-Marian. I don't even imagine post-marian look of pontic general's guard, maybe later I'll decide how they shold look.
    Last edited by Lanjane; December 09, 2010 at 05:46 AM.
    - Biblical Proverb
    Nobody will try to figure it out if you are made of glass or of metal. They'll treat you the same way.
    When you show your strength, you'll find a company of those who want to steal it from you, but your weakness, you'll be all alone with it.

- Winter Voices

Lanjane's Barbarian Empires * Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy * Extended Cultures V * Rome - Total Realism 8 * Lanjane's Mini-Workshop * Rome: Total Music

Cinuz's Avatar Senator

Wow, they're wonderful!

I think that the post-marian pontic (if we could call them this way), would have abandoned the bronze cuirass and made little use of the linothorax in favour of the chainmail armor, but I'm really not sure..
    Last edited by Cinuz; December 09, 2010 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjabanana View Post
    I like Sabazios' idea of adding thureophoroi to tier-3 barracks and Armoured hoppies to tier-4 barracks. I mean, the Massalian league already recruits Armoured hoppies from tier-4, so why give the Greek city-states the privilege of doing so at tier-3?

And what about adding a sword infantry unit (other than the thorakitai) to the successors? I remember something like that suggested few days back. The thorakitai come so late that it would be good to have another sword unit.
    I think it would be nice if those units where aor like units, to create some differece in the Succesors rosters.

For example:
    Macedonia - Agrianian skirmishers (axe + javelins)
    Lysimachia - reskinned Bastarnae (romphia)
    Ptolemies - Nubian axemen (2 handed axe)
    Antigonids - Cilician skirmishers (sword + javelins)

Cinuz's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Sabazios View Post
    I think it would be nice if those units where aor like units, to create some differece in the Succesors rosters.

For example:
    And what about the seleucids? Could a graeco-persian infantry good? (same model of the eastern infantry. you add to it some spaulders and here we go: eastern infantry equipped with linothorax. you can even add a smaller hoplon to them if you wish but i wouldn't give them the overhand animation. or you could give them swords )

What do you say?

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

Well, it seems some time is needed to add all these units. I hope the new update will be released in next 2-3 days.

Your suggestions are really brilliant It's a pleasure to work with you, and for you guys!
    - Biblical Proverb

- Winter Voices

Quote Originally Posted by Sabazios View Post

For example:
    Looks good. Cinuz's suggestion sounds cool too, I'd prefer it had a sword instead of a spear.
    A Proud Diloist

-Finland rules
    -Hanoi Rocks rules

Valkar's Avatar Senator

Give the Bastarnae a Falx, not a Romphaia

Achea's Avatar Ordinarius

Armoured Hoplites are overpowered, but without them the Greeks are weak. Nice bodyguards BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinuz View Post
    And what about the seleucids? Could a graeco-persian infantry good? (same model of the eastern infantry. you add to it some spaulders and here we go: eastern infantry equipped with linothorax. you can even add a smaller hoplon to them if you wish but i wouldn't give them the overhand animation. or you could give them swords )

What do you say?
    sounds good, I would prefer swords too. Maybe a kopis?.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkar View Post
    Give the Bastarnae a Falx, not a Romphaia
    yes, you're right, i always mix those 2 up.

Guess we'll have to give Lanjane some time now

Valkar's Avatar Senator

Thats why i like the hoplites from Rome tw Alexander. Good, but not 'Elite'

Cinuz's Avatar Senator

I'm glad you guys liked my suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Lanjane View Post
    What do you think guys of replacing armoured hoplites (it's a cheat unit I suppose) with thureophoroi? (spearmen with thureos, heavy oval shield, and heavy javelins - fight just like legionaries, but with spear instead of a sword).

And about romans... I'll remove late legionaries, first cohort, legionary cavalry, praetorians&praetorian cav and Urban Cohort, but will add them some auxilia with lorica hamata instead. Does it sound good?
    totally agree. i think these would be good fixes,

edit: but as someone else said... just move the armored hoplites up a tier.. the greeks will need them later.

i think thureophoroi should be equivalent to hastati/principes (or in between)
    while thorakitai should be equal to triarii (maybe a little better) - this way we can recruit them at city and army barracks respectively.

thoughts?
    Last edited by Aleksander the Average; December 09, 2010 at 04:33 PM.
    . .

Quote Originally Posted by alexander the average View Post
    totally agree. i think these would be perfect fixes.

i think thureophoroi should be equivalent to hastati/principes (or in between)
    while thorakitai should be equal to triarii (maybe a little better) - this way we can recruit them at city and army barracks respectively.

thoughts?

and please Lanjane, let me know if you want any help. we can't let you do this all alone.
    Thurephoroi were light infantry, only better than peltasts due to a larger shield. Probably not up to Hastati standard, but close.

As for Thorakitai, they were heavy versions of the Thurephoroi, with a spear to fight with. I would make them the equal of the Principes, but nothing better.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollyon View Post
    Thurephoroi were light infantry, only better than peltasts due to a larger shield. Probably not up to Hastati standard, but close.

As for Thorakitai, they were heavy versions of the Thurephoroi, with a spear to fight with. I would make them the equal of the Principes, but nothing better.
    so... where do the incendiary pigs come in then?

my point is... i think this mod was supposed to be more for gameplay and a vanilla feel than for realism.

i do partially agree. perhaps we could make them hastati/principes equivalent but only available at city/army barracks respectively... that way the hellenistic factions are not getting the same quality units as the romans with the same ease (building wise)
    . .

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

alexander the average, don't worry, I like skinning/modelling very much, and it seems there isn't so much work with coding. However, I must say, English is a foreign language for me, and text description for units are always a greater challenge than even a 3d-bone-weighting. If you help me with text descriptions, that would be really cool.

And you are helping me with your suggestions, that's invaluable itself.

Apollyon, thank you. One of the best thureophoroi I ever saw in RTW mods were ones in XGM-Diadochi. They have spears and very nice and unique shields.
    - Biblical Proverb

- Winter Voices

Achea's Avatar Ordinarius

You have fantastic english for a foriegn language, don't worry about it. If required, I can still do some description work. Also, on the topic of AOR units, I say make them recruited from shipwright/dockyard. Less work and more vanilla feel.

I also scrounged this up- Thrace The Serpent Reborn (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=249548). Perhaps you can import some units to give Thrace a more unique feel. I would suggest the Noble Cavalry and the Thracian Infantry, as well as the tempe system. The creator, Subrosa is no longer acive, but as long as credit is given I'm sure she won't mind.