Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [JOB] Text Proofing

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Default [JOB] Text Proofing

With the mod moving into its advanced stages and the addition of more and more text, the team's lack of english mother tongue members is starting to become an issue.
    We are aware of several grammar mistakes in our descriptions but no one in the team is proficient enough in english to be sure to fix them effectively.

If you like XC and want to give us a hand, the team is looking for someone to go through the mod descriptions and help us improve the quality of the text.

Any help will be appreciated!
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Default Re: [JOB] Text Proofing

I'm a native Englishman myself, so I could do this. Where can I find the files containing descriptions and events? If I have access to those I can systematically go through and find as many mistakes as possible.

EDIT:
    Never mind, I've found them. I'll tweak the text in these files and I could attach the altered .txt files in a later post in this thread if you like.
    Last edited by nasher168; December 03, 2010 at 05:34 PM.

That would be great, thanks!
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Congrats on taking up the project of grammarizing (rarely spectacular) I tried and then found I couldn't find more then 2 or 3 when i went looking..life a mystery...

All text files are in your TW folder/XC/data/text.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

There's a lot more of it than I anticipated... but the historical events are nearly finished.

That's great, thanks!
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Hey Zarax what are the native languages of the main modders?

Italian, Thai and Spanish.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Specifying them would be of great help
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

A quick update. I have (perhaps foolishly) attempted to tackle multiple text files at once. The Historical Events file is riddled with errors and so it takes a while to go through and (no offence to the writer) decipher what was meant in each one. There might be a few contradictions in tenses left in there still, but I'll put up that file fairly soon.

Going through the other, much larger files like unit info will probably take a fair while longer, as their size is sometimes quite overwhelming. That said, there are fewer glaring errors, so I can progress faster. I haven't even started on Building Info, but please post specific examples to ensure I don't miss them. Any that I do miss will probably otherwise end up lost in the sheer volume of information.

Zarax, if you or another XC team member could please PM me a list of units and buildings added in XC, I could focus on those in particular and get it done faster. If such a list exists, that is. Don't feel compelled to make a new one or anything.

Hmm, I suspect it will be easier to check what hasn't been changed

Will see if I can scrounge up a list this weekend.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Suppanut's Avatar Idea-O-Matic

Quote Originally Posted by nasher168 View Post
    A quick update. I have (perhaps foolishly) attempted to tackle multiple text files at once. The Historical Events file is riddled with errors and so it takes a while to go through and (no offence to the writer) decipher what was meant in each one. There might be a few contradictions in tenses left in there still, but I'll put up that file fairly soon.
    I am the writer you mentioned about. You could ask me what they ment at msn tunappus@yahoo.com or PM me the point you want me to describe for more detail.
    Is proudly patroned by the Great Balikedes.

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Icon1 Re: [JOB] Text Proofing

Hi all. I recently contacted Zarax about the possibility of error checking some of the in game text. I decided to start small with the faction descriptions. An updated file is attached. On top of the spelling and grammar fixes here's what I've done.

1. Removed references to Dacia from the Greek description.

2. Reorganized the Sarmatian description to make it flow better.

3. Removed reference to Spain from Iberian description and cleaned it up.

4. Lastly Bactra still has an old description talking about Diodates. This doesn't fit the new starting date but I'm afraid I don't know enough of the history to write a new one. It will have to be changed eventually though.
    Last edited by Fouch; February 14, 2011 at 07:18 PM.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Post a list so people don't go off and do stuf thats already been done.I would help but I have exams for the next 4 weeks

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

Right now I don't even know all that needs to be checked. I'm planning on doing the historic_event.txt next but that's as far ahead as I've thought.

Suppanut's Avatar Idea-O-Matic

About Baktria, how about this?

{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_ROMANO_BRITISH_TITLE}Kingdom of Bactria
    {IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_ROMANO_BRITISH_DESCR}
    After the death of Alexander the Great the empire he had created tottered and fell into disarray with remarkable speed. His empire was the largest ever seen, and the generals struggled against each other for the ultimate prize that none of them was quite strong enough to gain. The Diadochi, or Successors, were only strong enough to hold together fragments of Alexander’s empire.\n\n

Baktria was one part of that Empire, and later part of the Seleucid Empire. Lying on the eastern fringe of the Greek world, Baktria is the heart of area called by Persians as Upper Satrapy, large highland area north-east of Persia and strategic first line of defense against any threat from Nomadic people as well as lies across one of the most important trade routes in the ancient world. Populated by a mixture of Greek settlers and native Baktrians, the miltary forces of Baktria are a unique blend of Greek and Eastern troops\n\n

Under the early period of Seleucid Empire, task to ruled Uppoer Satrapy and Baktria has been put in hand of the crown prince and co-regent but the real military power has been entrust to Demodamas of Miletus, chief stratagos of empire's north-eastern frontier and one of Seleucus Nicator's most trusted general, who have been entrusted with task to take care the young crown prince and hold practically semi-autonomus power to take care the situation in north-eastern frontier of the empire.\n\n

Now the master Seleucus has joined his father and stay among gods while the young crown prince has became new king Antiochus I and stay in Empire's western part, left the old Demodamas stay autonomously and is left uncontested in the land of Baktria. You will have to decide what he will do next...
    Is proudly patroned by the Great Balikedes.

{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_ROMANO_BRITISH_TITLE}Kingdom of Bactria
    {IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_ROMANO_BRITISH_DESCR}
    After the death of Alexander the Great the empire he had created tottered and fell into disarray with remarkable speed. His empire was the largest ever seen, and the generals struggled against each other for the ultimate prize that none of them was quite strong enough to gain. The Diadochi, or Successors, were only strong enough to hold together fragments of Alexander’s empire.\n\n

Baktria was one part of that Empire, and later part of the Seleucid Empire. Lying on the eastern fringe of the Greek world, Baktria is the heart of area called by Persians as Upper Satrapy, large highland area north-east of Persia and strategic first line of defense against any threat from Nomadic people as well as lies across one of the most important trade routes in the ancient world. Populated by a mixture of Greek settled there as punishment for rebellion against the Achmeneids and native Baktrians, the military forces of Baktria are a unique blend of Greek and Eastern troops, with many varied auxiliaries available close-by.\n\n

Under the early period of Seleucid Empire, task to rule Upper Satrapy and Baktria has been put in hand of the crown prince and co-regent but the real military power has been entrust to Demodamas of Miletus, chief stratagos of empire's north-eastern frontier and one of Seleucus Nicator's most trusted general, who have been entrusted with task to take care the young crown prince and hold practically semi-autonomus power to take care the situation in north-eastern frontier of the empire.\n\n

Now the master Seleucus has joined his father and stay among gods while the young crown prince has became new king Antiochus I and stay in Empire's western part, left the old Demodamas stay autonomously and is left uncontested in the land of Baktria in charge of the independent and rebellious graeco-baktrians. You will have to decide what he will do next...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Fouch's Avatar Tiro

That looks good. The language needs to be cleaned up a bit, mostly run on sentences, but I can do that when I get home from work. Currently posting from my phone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast