Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Guide]For The Hopelessly Lost: Guide to Installing Stainless Steel 6.3

Tears of Destiny's Avatar Senator

Default [Guide]For The Hopelessly Lost: Guide to Installing Stainless Steel 6.3

Welcome To Tears of Destiny's guide to installing Stainless Steel 6.3

The intent is to provide a quick and easy reference for new users to browse when overwhelmed or confused on installing SS6.3

Minor and Rare issues will not be covered here, only the most common problems, as well as popular "Help Requests." The Steps below are deliberately in greater detail then most other guides. A short post was sacrificed for the sake of detailed instructions

For The Hopelessly Lost: Guide to Installing Stainless Steel 6.3
    This addresses the most common issues I have seen while on the Stainless Steel Forums.
    This is specifically for Stainless Steel 6.3

Optional Tips (READ tip #3 if WIN7/VISTA user)

1.) Installing M2TW or SS6.3 into "Program Files" often leads to oddities in certain Operating Systems. It is highly recommended that you install the M2TW:K game into "Games" instead of "Program Files" due to hiccups. If you already have M2TW:K in "Program Files" do not worry, this is really an optional tip that rarely comes into play.

2.) Disable any and all Anti-Virus Programs when downloading and installing SS6.3 as Norton Anti-Virus along with a select few other anti-virus programs are infamous for corrupting your download by killing the executive file in the download. Anti-virus programs usually locate any executive from an outside source as a threat.

3.) WINDOWS 7/VISTA USERS: PLEASE DISABLE YOUR UAC if you are having issues running the install executive. Usually an easy fix for other problems as well.
    An example of why:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    If some files are missing from it then reinstall the mod and then install it again by turning of the UAC if having windows vista or win 7.
    UAC is a pain it doesn't allows to copy the files properly and they go in the virtual store folder instead. Make sure you have admin rights as well when running the installer and read the installation instructions and FAQ section it will help resolve the issue.
    4.) Do not use WinRar to extract 7z files.

Download Instructions:

0.) Make sure you have the Kingdoms Expansion, and are updated to 1.5 for it. You also need DirectX 9, as older/newer versions do interesting (Read: Bad) things. (Note: you can install DirectX 9 without overwriting DirectX 11 to avoid CTD's)

1.) Chose your poison, there are multiple choices to download. Once you have chosen, download everything if there are multiple parts. By themselves they do nothing. I personally have used Bane's Torrent last time.

2.) Once everything is downloaded, double-click the start-up (It is an executive, not a bin file).

3.) Follow the directions in the installer and install SS into the "Mod" section of your Medieval.

4.) There will be a pop-up that asks you to choose early or late campaign. Ignore this and click X to close.

5.) Your game is glitched and broken, you will need to fix this before playing. Two Choices (Choose ONE):

5a.) This Choice (Compendium) is best if you just want to fix the game and nothing more, or are interested in a Specific sub-mod.

OR

5b.) This Choice (Sub-Mod Compilation) is for if you want to be able to "Toggle" easily on and off a bunch of optional sub-mods.
    The advantage is that you have an immense amount of choice in sub-mods,but the disadvantage is that it is not compatable with other sub-mods. This choice also fixes your game, yes.

6.) Download your choice, and after it is done, double-click it (Do NOT unzip this, too many people make this mistake) and point it at your SS6.3 mod folder (Not in it, just on it).

7.) Select your choices for options, and have fun! Do NOT install BGR if you are new to SS, or you will die. An easy way to tell if you installed your fixes correctly is if you do not see the option to disable RR when starting a new campaign. If you see this as an option to disable it, this means something bad happened, and your game was not fixed.

If my game is not working or I have questions, what do I do?! HELP!

When asking for help, make sure you list what version of Stainless Steel you have, along with any mods or sub-mods you also have installed for it (And activated).

If you are using Windows 7, Vista or Steam please consider looking at This Thread before asking why something is broken.

The Stainless Steel 6.3 Release Thread is for when you are having installation issues or comments in general. Bug Reports on gameplay are to be posted Here.

The Compendium Thread is for when you have questions on The Compilation and Fixes, such as "How do I switch Eras?"

The Sub-Mod Compilation Thread is for questions on the mod-pack, such as "How do I uninstall Shoryn's Teutonic Crusades sub-mod?" Bug-Reports on gameplay are to be posted Here.

The Byg's Grim Reality Thread is for when you want to know why you have a massive debt, or generals are turning rebellious, or what the Supply Train is for, or generally where you ask questions and read The Guides (Do not play BGR without reading the guides, it is complicated, and you will die). Obviously, only applicable for those elite enough to play BGR.

Questions & Answers for ToD

Why did you make this? This thread/topic exists mainly so I have something to link to in my signature, and answer questions faster (As well as confusing people more?). I noticed that the majority of download problems stemmed from the same issues, so why not address the common ones with a thread?

I like pictures, will there be pictures? Yes, in the future, I will provide screen shots so that the steps will be crystal clear in what you should see (With XP; W7 and Vista it may look slightly different)

Can I suggest New Things For This Thread? Why yes, yes you may! And I will even take your constructive suggestions into consideration too!

Why is the Q&A so short? I wanted one, and it is new.

This thread will be updated at irregular intervals when something new arises.
    Last edited by Tears of Destiny; December 12, 2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Cosmetic Changes, Improved UI

Artifex

Default Re: For The Hopelessly Lost: Guide to Installing Stainless Steel 6.3

Do NOT install BGR if you are new to SS, or you will die.

Nice and helpful work of you. When I install 6.3 I shall make every effort to become hopelessly lost, just to get to use your guide.

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Default Re: [Guide]For The Hopelessly Lost: Guide to Installing Stainless Steel 6.3

Tears of Destiny,

An excellent idea, well done +Rep

Please can you change DirectX 9 To bold type and caps, this is a frequent in Bugs sections, you also need' PLEASE DISABLE YOU UAC', if using VISTA/WIN7

Kardinal Navajo Joe

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

Default Re: [Guide]For The Hopelessly Lost: Guide to Installing Stainless Steel 6.3

Quote Originally Posted by Navajo Joe View Post
    Tears of Destiny,

An excellent idea, well done +Rep

Please can you change DirectX 9 To bold type and caps, this is a frequent in Bugs sections, you also need' PLEASE DISABLE YOU UAC', if using VISTA/WIN7

Kardinal Navajo Joe

Thank you for the suggestions and the kind words!

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Wow... This is unbelievable!!!! This guide is heaven sent. Thank you soooo much... +Rep
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Quote Originally Posted by Maltacus View Post

Nice and helpful work of you. When I install 6.3 I shall make every effort to become hopelessly lost, just to get to use your guide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze View Post
    Wow... This is unbelievable!!!! This guide is heaven sent. Thank you soooo much... +Rep
    Thank you kindly! I hope it comes in use.

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

Nice guide.
    Too bad I'm not helplessly lost

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    Nice guide.
    Too bad I'm not helplessly lost
    Thank you! On the other hand, perhaps it is a good thing, considering what you do on SS. I think we would all be in trouble if you were

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Tears of Destiny View Post
    Thank you! On the other hand, perhaps it is a good thing, considering what you do on SS. I think we would all be in trouble if you were
    Yo cheap state, skinflint Norweigen....Make with the +Rep...
    What up yo...
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Yeah, I gave him some rep (before you told me to )

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze View Post
    Yo cheap state, skinflint Norweigen....Make with the +Rep...
    What up yo...
    Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    Yeah, I gave him some rep (before you told me to )
    Suddenly envisioning the movie "Grumpy Old Men."

Anywho, I think the thread is updated and polished properly, so all that remains is the pictures (Next week likely).

*Strolls off to break SS again with custom mods*

i have the game installed, and THOUGHT everything was ok. had a nice little campaign going with Denmark, and then CTD's begin to happen all over the place. I have no idea what I did, I installed the "MCompilation.exe" and installed it, but the same. Now I can't even play the game, when i select a faction and click to begin the campaign, it takes me back to the same screen, and CTD's when i try to load a saved game. Im sure I made a mistake in the installation, but I barely figured out how to install it(before this guide was up). Any help is really appreciated b/c this game looks AWESOME!

until then its Broken Crescent, which aint bad, but i want to conquer the West!

Have you run SS_setup.exe afterwards? If not, do so.

hate to reveal the sheer magnitude of my ignorance, but how do i do that? lot of thanks to everyone for helping me out!

It's in your SS6.3 folder. Double-click it.

LOL! thanks

Default Install problems

Hi,

I have just used blackshroud's installer and have problems. I downloaded it and installed SS to its default directory (somewhere on the c drive, in program files - he mentioned in the thread you link to that just as long as it was installed on the same drive as M2TW it would be fine) and then downloaded and ran the link to the new version of the compendium (4.2 I think) as you instructed above, pointing it to the location I had just installed SS. I then ran the config program and chose my difficulty (e.g. savage etc) but then when I tried to run SS it presented a message saying something along the lines of "SS has to be installed on the same drive as M2TW!" and then nothing. I have tried to run SS lots of times since, but nothing happens after I doube click on the icon.

Please please please help

aaaaa

p.s. I am running windows 7 but many others say it is working fine for them without having to disable UAC or otherwise modify their systems, so why am I having this problem?

Move the SS6.3 folder into medieval 2 total war/mods/
    and pm blackshroud to notify him.

Floris V van Holland's Avatar Miles

still hopelessly lost. hi i took steps 1 - 5 . when i double click it ( 4.2 ) it askes open file well the equivalent in dutch (double click that and askes what program to use i have none thats suitable) .
    click once and hover it over over 6.3 folder it just asks if i want to copy file there. nothing happens.
    if i put the file in there and start the ss_setup exe it still presents the rr option which tells me it didn't work.

what do i do? as suggested in install guide game is broken ( means unplayable i presume)
    sorry but i really don't see anymore options.
    or am i crazy?
    Patriotism is Indeed a Double-Edged Sword

Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor,for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind . . .
    And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear
    and blinded with patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader, and gladly so.

How do I know? For this is what I have done. I am Caesar.

Quote Originally Posted by johan de witt View Post
    still hopelessly lost. hi i took steps 1 - 5 . when i double click it ( 4.2 ) it askes open file well the equivalent in dutch (double click that and askes what program to use i have none thats suitable) .
    click once and hover it over over 6.3 folder it just asks if i want to copy file there. nothing happens.
    if i put the file in there and start the ss_setup exe it still presents the rr option which tells me it didn't work.

what do i do? as suggested in install guide game is broken ( means unplayable i presume)
    sorry but i really don't see anymore options.
    or am i crazy?
    Odd, I am not at the computer at the moment, but if I remember correctly, the 4.2 patch should be a .exe file.
    Try renaming the file extension to exe if it is not already, and double-click it again.
    I will get back to you in a few hours (Once I am home) and present you a much better answer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast