Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: - Confessio -

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: - Confessio -

Quote Originally Posted by nichita1998
    Guys? I am here for the game o.0
    The various threads about the game can easily be found looking at the main page of IBFD Forum, each Mod has its own space; here, in this place, we talk, or better: we try to talk, of our feelings about Late Antiquity, why we are here, why we are interested in this fascinating period of history, which are the reasons that have brought us here, what strange force binds us to the memory of that past, in any case, if you spend few moments of your precious time reading the OP, you'll find, explained in a better English and in more detail, the purposes of this page. Now if you want to write down your thoughts about the topic, I'll be glad to read it, otherwise move as quickly as you can to the page of the Mod/s on which your interest is focused more, here is not the right place for you.

Vale.

Mmmm, I honestly do not know how to answer this question in way that is coherent and doesn't go off on wild rambles that take you nowhere. I guess I will try though.

I don't have an eloquent way of putting my thoughts but I guess it is just an utter fascination of what happened...and what could've happened if certain events didn't occur the way they did. A big one that I am sure we have all asked is "What if Julian succeeded?", which basically lead to my AAR. I knew of the early Roman period after having just a passing interest in Rome for many years, as a kid knowing about Caesar and Antony and all that but not really caring to know too much more. Rome Total War sparked an interest. Not sure why I bought it but it lead to a point, after reading criticisms about its historical approach that made me go out and do some reading on the matter and in turn, find myself in this very forum (Rome total realism) and then wanting more after Barbarian Invasion came along (Invasio Barbarorum)

I am fascinated by the events, the characters, the treachery, the mayhem, the way the Empire evolved and quite frankly should have perished with all that the 3rd century entailed. I guess there is a morbid fascination with its slow decline, brief periods of a semblance of a fight back and then the end. To me its like observing a centuries long car crash from a distance. You know whats going to happen but you keep on watching (reading). Hopefully that made sense!
    'The Last Pagan Emperor'- An Invasio Barbarorum Somnium Apostatae Juliani AAR
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

'Immortal Persia' A Civilization III AAR

Prepare to imbibe the medicine of rebuke!

Quote Originally Posted by nichita1998 View Post
    here for the game
    That goes without saying. Plus, fixing a desperate situation has another taste, it adds another level of challenge that the new TW games lack.
    -Living near Aquileia I was "exposed" since I was a little kid to "the Roman world", even without knowing it. If I'll have some $uccess, one of the hobbies in my mind is buying a metal detector and try my luck in the fields around there, searching the legendary "puteum aureo";
    -I think that the theme of Decadence inevitably draw our attention once we start to reach adulthood, and confront ourself with our own failures (and limitation: I cannot dedicate a lot of time to games in general nor history in particular anymore). And what major example is out there, something used still today as "the gold standard of Empires": look at the Founding Fathers of the US, or to Chalmer Johnson trilogy on the American Empire...
    -I'll probably try to write another guide for the Aurelian campaign, similar to the one for SAI
    ...till then, Ave atque Vale!

it had been almost past 12 years since SBH started the thread, well better late then never...

time of change , time of desperate , time of desperation , that's what made Late Rome period so unique to me
    My name is John, Tribune of Legio Ripenses IX Tertiae Italica and loyal servant to the computer generated Emperor, Julianus Flavius Augustus "The Apostles". And I will have my vengeance again The Quadi tribes, barbarian scums who decimated half of my legio in Mediolanum City Siege almost a year ago and Gratianus Flavius "The Traitor", the former Caesar who convince a half of precious my legio to his petty scheme rebellion just 3 months ago in this save game or the next
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar

I Agree! I don't think I'll ever get that dam sword from the stone but I will forever try.
    Last edited by Riothamus; October 08, 2023 at 09:47 AM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Quote Originally Posted by Johnadiw26 View Post
    it had been almost past 12 years since SBH started the thread, well better late then never...

time of change , time of desperate , time of desperation , that's what made Late Rome period so unique to me
    Better Late (Roman) than never!

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    I Agree! I don't think I'll ever get that dam sword from the stone but I will forever try.
    Too right!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12