Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rome Total war music

Default Rome Total war music

I thought of mod which would implement music in RTW. Examples:

Example1
    Example2

Anyone can make it?

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Ok, mods belong in the workshop, and I recommend looking at the sound files, I dont think it sound be a hard mod.

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Quote Originally Posted by Kamarad

Example1
    Example2

Anyone can make it?
    You can, but only for your own version, you cannot distribute it in a mod. Even I had to remove it from my mod, otherwise it is considered illegal distribution of copywrighted music. Sorry!

Oh well. I was hoping there is a folder where I would just copy mp3 music and replace original. I think as well that copyrights for Ben Hur are obsolete by now. I searched for this music because music in RTM is very bad, as well as from gladiator and those celin dionish-celtish-psychodelish songs. When I watch Ben Hur or Quo Vadis, I watch spectacles with Good music. I thought of puting this in mod to provide to younger people here, who didn't have a chance of watching real thing, to enjoy at least some of the atmospheric mood from those. Don't know if there are any sharing my oppinion about this matter though.

Greenbeef's Avatar Civis

Modding the music for RTW 1.5/BI 1.6 is still a fairly simple process. To start off, put the mp3 files you want to use into the bi\data\sounds\music folder. If you don't have a music folder in the sounds directory, just create a new folder.

Next, you need to modify the descr_sounds_music.txt file in the bi\data\ folder, but first, rename the original descr_sounds_music.txt to something like ORIGINAL-descr_sounds_music.txt this will ensure that you keep a base copy of it for reference or a backup. The structure for this file is pretty straight forward, but I'll explain a few things.
    state MUSIC_BATTLE_BATTLE
    event
    folder data/sounds/music
    Battle1-Imperial_Conflict.mp3
    Battle2-Mayhem.mp3
    Battle3-Melee_Cafe.mp3
    Battle4-Romantic_Battle.mp3
    end
    This section covers the music for the battle map, which is clearly marked. The "state MUSIC_BATTLE_BATTLE" restricts this music loop to the point where one or more of your units is engaged in combat with another unit. There are also the BATTLE_TENSION and BATTLE_MOBILIZE sections. The first playing while all of your units are in a state of rest and not moving, while the second plays when a move order is given.

It's important to note that these music selections are all based on culture type. So, if you change it for the romans, it will only affect the Western Roman Empire, Eastern Roman Empire, Western Rebels, and Eastern Rebels. You will have to change the loops for each culture type if you want different music for the barbarians or eastern factions.

To change the music, all you do is replace the Battle1-Imperial_Conflict.mp3 lines like I have in my example:
    state MUSIC_BATTLE_BATTLE
    event
    folder data/sounds/music
    big_battle.mp3
    end
    Now when one of my units engages in combat, the game loops big_battle.mp3 untill a different state is triggered.

After modifying the .txt, make sure that you save your changes.

The final, and most important for 1.5/1.6, is forcing the game to generate a new events.idx file. To do this, go into the bi\data\sounds folder, and rename events.idx to ORIGINAL-events.idx

The next time you start up RTW/BI, the game will generate a new events.idx file based off your modified descr_sounds_music.txt file. I would recommend trying a custom battle to see if your changes worked.

If there's anything that needs clarifying in these instructions, feel free to ask me for help.

Greenbeef's Avatar Civis

Ah, I see your situation. Everything in those steps works the same for RTW 1.0, you just dont have to do anything with events.idx.

Laetus

iirc RTR had a music pack released during 6.0 or so
    i never got to listen to it cause i quit playing RTW 1.2 at all for obvious reasons, but, as far as i can assess those guys' work in general, it will be pretty good (i also remember some rtr intro music from a version i played before, should be 5.x, that really kicked ass)
    the music addon still exists on www.rometotalrealism.org under downloads and is 125MB in size (now this sounds like A LOT of custom music)

anyone know if i can just use that music pack without rtr itself, are they mp3 files?, i dont want to download it and then have to delete it anyway, im on 2GB volume / month

any other mods or mods in creation (or maybe even mods for similar games) where you can get some nice moody fiiting music to enchance you battlefield slaughter experience?

Greenbeef's Avatar Civis

Peronsally, I use the music from the SPQR mod. lt1956 has come up with a nice, and very Roman sounding, collection of music from Caesar 3, Conan, and some other sources. While I'm not the biggest fan of the gameplay in SPQR 5.0, the music and models are great. Also, I appreciate the RTR team's creation of a new soundtrack, but I find it lacking the epic feel.

The best music lt1956 has in his collection is the one from Conan, it makes the perfect battle music.

Laetus

thx for the quick reply, ill try to find that now ... ok i found it and am currently downloading the whole mod, i hope i will be able to extract the music files from there somehow, i guess ill try opening the exe with winrar first ....

Quote Originally Posted by Kamarad

Example1
    Example2

Anyone can make it?
    wow, I just noticed that this is from the hungarian composer

Ben-Hur - A Tale Of The Christ: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (1959 Version)
    Miklos Rozsa
    I'm all proud now!
    :original:

lol
    btw Greenbeef, can I use SPQR with 1.0 version too?
    I would pay for original game but Croatia is so expensive and income is low.

I dont like Gladiator very much, it is one of my biggest dissapointments ever.
    Instead you should watch Ben Hur, Spartacus, Quo Vadis and Fall of the western Roman empire. Everything newer is pure crap. Especially Gladiator. The Rome presentation from it is so white like Rome was built yesterday, not to mention that temples were actually collored and not pure white. Modern directors are not capable to make a good spectacle. Too dynamic camera, bad music, no glamoure, doesnt touch your soul, empty, shallow and too much high-tech actions as well as idiotic dialogues. Movies try to be too "cool", there is no fortitude in them. Maybe one day someone will make a good spectacle again with normal Panavision camera and no digital or computer crap. It will be ofcourse harder to make, but more realistic in some ways (if we dont Exactly want to see a sword piercing through opponents body) and with better overall atmnosphere. They make most things on computer cause it's a lot easier then to build 1:1 sized models. Pathetic and lazy imho. The only good thing are actors. There are a lot of good actors out there and in Gladiator Phoenix was excellent, much better then Crowe imho. But directors are crap, camera's are crap, costums are crap. I wouldn't give Ridley Scott to direct a comercial on TV. Anyone who saw Ben Hur and Gladiator as well can understand me what I am talking about here. I can't even whistle music from Gladiator. That's about it. My oppinion. Sapienti sat.

Last edited by calibordr17; July 19, 2008 at 11:54 PM.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

You are supposed to rename events.dat, not events.idx.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Last edited by calibordr17; July 19, 2008 at 11:53 PM.

Default Re: Rome Total war music

Quote Originally Posted by Kamarad View Post
    Oh well. I was hoping there is a folder where I would just copy mp3 music and replace original. I think as well that copyrights for Ben Hur are obsolete by now. I searched for this music because music in RTM is very bad, as well as from gladiator and those celin dionish-celtish-psychodelish songs. When I watch Ben Hur or Quo Vadis, I watch spectacles with Good music. I thought of puting this in mod to provide to younger people here, who didn't have a chance of watching real thing, to enjoy at least some of the atmospheric mood from those. Don't know if there are any sharing my oppinion about this matter though.
    i agree with you Kamarad, i have also seen those movies and i also think that the music from those classics would be alot more appropriate for RTW

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

Oh just saw this...I like the classic film scores also,but can't share due to copyright rules. I like the Ben Hur,Spartacus,the old B Grade movie stuff,even newer Gladiator(I have seen worse so this is ok to me). What one can do though for a Mod is give suggestions as to what music can be used and let the individual download for personal use only. Legal things with music is tricky,a US woman was fined 10,000USD or more I think..aghhhh. Muggings and vandals get less penalties in Australia,lol...crap.

Don't necro-post please, this thread is 3 years old.

I have done all the directions to adding custom music to my RTW game. I'm using Rome Total war 1.5 and have went into data/sounds and created a subfolder called music (inside sounds folder). I placed my mp3's in the music file. I then go to the descr_sounds_music file and put the exact name of the mp3 under romans music section for campaign map. I replaced the autumn.mp3 and the other 3 below it with the exact name of my mp3 file in music file. I saved my changes. I renamed the events.idx file I renamed the events.dat file, then I deleted both of the damn things and it still doesn't work. Keeps playing the vanilla music. I've read instruction from just about every source on this topic and basically have the exact same directions. In all these threads seems to be a lot of confusion from the people giving the directions. One says rename events.idx another says rename events.dat another says get rid of them both, another says just get rid of one. So which is it? Another person has said thats why the modders use the 1.2 patch from old vanilla to work from so they could add music. That didn't make much sense. Anyhow anyone know what i'm doing wrong and what I could do to get my custom music added to RTW 1.5?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast