Thread: Epeiros, what to do with them

Civis

Default Epeiros, what to do with them

Hello all,

Just started a game with Epeiros, lost my capital within 4 turn to the macedonians, and got hugely in debt. Since I start with -35000 mnai, what can I do and where should I disband ? Please help me

Speedy the Freak

-35000 is not what you start with. That's just what the finances say in turn 1. You should probably disband your ships, and either disband some of your troops or try to grab a city quickly with them. Check out your finances after turn 1 and you will see that the -30000 thing is totally gone.
    -Use your initial money to buy roads or anything to help you trade.
    -If you don't want to fight the romans, then get trade rights with them immediately. Get trade rights with anyone you aren't fighting (KH probably too, and Carthaginians).

Your elephants upkeep cost is 2500 Mnai, Navy 1500 Mnai. Total cost for each turn is 4000 if you disband them plus some of the Illyrian Tribal levies you may stabilize your finances. I captured evil Makedon's capital Pella and now their southern city of Demetrias is under siege. My economy getting better turn by turn. Take care with your garrisons. If you will not use any unit do not make it. Make a peace with Romans and do not fight on two fronts. It consumes your economic effort whic is most needed thing at the start level of the campaign.

I hope my advices help on your campaign too...

Default GO for Rome first

I found the exact opposite was better. I went all out against the Romans. Their southern cities (especially Cannae) are very weak at the beginning of the game and if you ship all of your troops (apart from one unit of levy for each balkan city) over to Italy you can wipe the Romans out in a number of Years. You should ignore the southern rebel city in Italy (tarentum maybe) and move up to Cannae, then over to what was in vanilla Capua (still havent got used to the city names in EB yet), then up to Rome.

If you exterminate all of the citys you capture you get rouglhy 15000 to spend which i quickly spent on the Samnite Spear and Heavy Spear Mercs. These mercs are key to the campaign, as if used on the flanks to hold they work wonders (they also have a pila similar to the Roman troops). The elephants in the Balkan starting city also work wonders once shipped to Italy.

I completely ignored my balkan regions, even allowing them to be taken, as once you take Italy the money comes in. In my current campaign, VH/H, its 268 BC and ive just wiped out the Romans (only just, if id waited another turn i would have failed as they were moving up a large army) and am bringing in about 3000ish per turn WITH a standing army. I only hold the cities the Romans have and one Balkan city.

Incidentally apart from what everyone says the elephants are a must keep. Leave them at the back of your army so they are protected from missile fire. Once everythings engaged swing them round the side and into the back. Also having both Faction Leader and Heir in the same army means you are able to get a huge cavalry army aswell. I hardly disbanded any units for once the extermination begun and after Italy was taken you get rich quick.

Be warned though. Continued extermination of cities has left Phyrros with a Bad Sleeper (or similar) trait, and he loses attributes because of it.

Anyway should you do this plan i would (as i am about to in my current campaign) secure Northen Italy, then swring down to take Sicily and Corisica and Sardinia. After that youve wiped out the most dangerous enemy (Rome) and you can start a naval invasion of the Balkans again. Meaning that by rougly 250-220BC you control ITaly and the Greek regions, two of the richest areas, and you should be in a good position to start finishing off your objectives in the Med and Asia Minor.

Hope thats some sort of minor help...

E
    Last edited by Ezequiel; January 06, 2006 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Damn those typos...

A very interesting plan. Cool to hear that it works. Maybe we can get that type1 govt to be attractive enough to want to keep epeiros itself though.

I tried something similar but on VH/VH, and my men, atleast in my games, ar ejsut absolutely no match for the romans, their triarii mus tbe 100% surronded to beat, and their equites are just unbeatable, they slaughter any of my troops even generals...o well. Im gonig to try again , but not sure if i should raise my cities in greece to the ground 1st or not, seems sorta....cheating to me. -Leon

Civis

Default Thanks a lot guys !!!

Hello guys

I emulated Little Legionnaire's tactics and went on right from the start to take Pella, and a few years after, Demetrias, it took a while but I subdued all of Greece. Now its 235 BC and I control all of Sicily, Greece, and the Greek cities of Asia Minor and I'm at war with Ptolemaoi and Getia, and the cash comes in...Next time i'll try Ezechiel's strategy, I thought of it a while ago but didn't have the guts to do it...

Thanx again for the hints

Speedy The Freak

Primicerius

Default Re: Epeiros, what to do with them

I just re-downloaded this mod and got it working with my Steam RTW Gold. Went straight to giving Epeiros another go.

My usual tactict with Epeiros is to ship everything I can from the Greek coast to Taras on the first turn [to be ready to strike the Romans that will besiege Taras on turn 2] and disband all fleets but one. I do not disband any troops. Rather, I send Pyrrhus to Pella and enslave everyone there on the first turn [elephants can open the gates]. After the sacking of the city move Pyrrhus to into the region of Demetrias. Try to make Pyrrhus stack look "weak" (i.e., remove a couple units but leave them within reinforcement distance. Move the other free-standing general with cavalry into the reinforcing stack. This should induce Macedonian garrison from Demetrias to attack on the next turn, which would allow for a relatively easy field victory and a city ripe for taking on the next turn. Note that there is also also juicy 20,000 mnai tombs monument in Pella; to reinact historical accuracy, Pyrrhus can leave a Gallic garrison in Pella and raid the tombs on one of the following turns. Oh yes, on the first turn, I queue up hoplitai haploi (best bang for the buck at the start of the campaign) everywhere + hire a unit of cretan archers; they come in useful. Epirus is not likely to have positive treasury for a while [unless raiding the aforementioned tombs on the first, second turn], so better queue up everything you have on the first turn.

On the second turn, if all goes well: it's a mountain defense fight against Macedonians and a subsequent enslavement of Demetrias there should also be a field attack on Romans near Taras with the combined forces of the coastal garrisons from Greece and Taras. The latter victory is especially crucial since Taras is the high pop city Epeiros has (can get troops from there). After the fall of Demetrias, Macedonians are likely to accept peace + trade [on the same turn]. One can arrange trade with Greeks at the same time. It seems, Macedonians and Greeks like to go to war with each other after these events which gives a nice window of opportunity to ship Pyrrhus (and his elephants) to Italy.

Once Pyrrhus is in Italy, he can wreck havoc there. It's actually pretty easy to beeline all the way up to Rome; establish a subject kingdom there and recruit Hastati for further expansion. My advice: don't expand into the Italian barbarian cities in the North. Taking those cities is likely to trigger a premature war with Gauls. Likewise, don't take Rhegium early unless you feel ready to start an all-out war with Carthage.

Entropy Judge's Avatar Vicarius

:whistle: Nearly seven years? Yeesh.
    I beat back their first attack with ease. Properly employed, E's can be very deadly, deadlier even than P's and Z's, though they're not as lethal as Paula Abdul or Right Said Fred.
    ~ Miaowara Tomokato, Samurai Cat Goes to the Movies

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy Judge View Post
    :whistle: Nearly seven years? Yeesh.
    Yeah,

Got tired of the whole Japanese scene

Boriak's Avatar Senator

Epeiros can quickly fall into debt because your starting cities have very small population and your army is quite strong (and the elephants are expensive to maintain). Your attention is constantly divided between two fronts: Roman and Macedonian. The best thing to do is to kill the Macedonians quickly (which I refuse to do because becoming absolute master of Greece makes the game utterly boring). Abandoning Taras might seem a good idea but it is your biggest city population-wise and it will only cripple your economy further.

What I did in my Epeirote campaign was gather all the forces I could muster from both fronts and conquer Dalminion to the north-west, then sent all the troops back where they were needed. After a few turns and signing a profitable peace treaty with Carthaginians, I was able to build mines in Dalminion (which I think are the best in the game; no one mentions this! ). Right now I'm rolling in cash.
    Last edited by Boriak; November 01, 2012 at 01:15 PM.

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Boriak View Post
    Epeiros can quickly fall into debt because your starting cities have very small population and your army is quite strong (and the elephants are expensive to maintain). Your attention is constantly divided between two fronts: Roman and Macedonian. The best thing to do is to kill the Macedonians quickly (which I refuse to do because becoming absolute master of Greece makes the game utterly boring). Abandoning Taras might seem a good idea but it is your biggest city population-wise and it will only cripple your economy further.

What I did in my Epeirote campaign was gather all the forces I could muster from both fronts and conquer Dalminion to the north-west, then sent all the troops back where they were needed. After a few turns and signing a profitable peace treaty with Carthaginians, I was able to build mines in Dalminion (which I think are the best in the game; no one mentions this! ). Right now I'm rolling in cash.
    If one plays on VH campaign difficulty, Epiros will be severely in debt on turn 2 already. In that case, taking Dalminion won't help since Epiros won't have cash to build the mines. On VH, letting Macedon keep its cities near Epirus is quite suicidal too since on that campaign difficulty the AI has sufficient cash to buy the merc pool dry (while Epirus would be in red and unable to replenish).

A hint: Pella has a mine as well. Level 1 built there already

After Pella: it's to one's taste to take Demetrias or leave it be. I personally would take it just to live up to Pirrhus pledge (to Drive Macedonians into the sea).

Epirus and Macedonia are the factions where the player can afford many elites very early in the game.

With other factions you have to fight until every threat is removed until you can really concentrate on building the necessary infrastructure

All my Seleukid campaigns are like this. I don't feel safe until I conquer all of the eastern half of the map + arabia + northern steppes. Only then do I build the necessary infrastructure to build elites. Even Carthage, I conquer all of Africa before I begin building elites

In my Epirote campains I can have an good army supported by top notch elite troops such as hypaspisati and Agriannian Assault infantry which pawns everything because the other factions have not yet upgraded their armies

@ speedythefreak: What did you do in those 4 turns before you lost your capital? and are you new to EB? If so, Epirus is not the best campaign to begin with.
    Last edited by seleucid empire; November 01, 2012 at 11:38 PM.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I have given all factions top tier barracks from the games start , I don't think you should have to wait till 50 turns till recruit your best troops. I also don't like fighting peasants every turn

Quote Originally Posted by Antiochos II Theos View Post
    I have given all factions top tier barracks from the games start , I don't think you should have to wait till 50 turns till recruit your best troops. I also don't like fighting peasants every turn
    this makes sense i guess. powerful empires like Arche Seleukids and Carthage should be able to recruit their best straight away.(at least in their bigger cities)

I mean its not like the Seleukids could only field pandoptai at 272 BC

I think what you did is a great idea. if you think about it, in real life, a whole region (like asia minor after the battle of magnesia) could be conquered after 1 battle. In game however you have to face like 20 battles.

If you give them top tier barracks they will be inclined to recruit them and screw their economy so you will fight less battles for each region.

I think I should add -only in capitols and or major cities, depending on faction. Also where I judge to be appropriate I gave stone walls or wooden walls again depends on faction

I think I should add -only in capitols and or major cities, depending on faction. Also where I judge to be appropriate I gave stone walls or wooden walls again depends on faction
    yeh only capitals or cities that start at large sizes

hmm yeh seleukeia should definietely have stone walls, as should Baktra, Taras, and a whole lot more

I also gave Pergamon and Thermon stone walls and gave them to the KH- makes life interesting for AS and Makedon

Primicerius

One thing to consider with Epeiros for battles in the Balkans is to use Illyrian infantry types rather than hoplites and thureoporoi types for reserves and guarding flanks of phalanxes. In EB, many battles in the Balkans end up on very forested maps. Hoplites, Thureoporoi and Phalanxes suffer penalties for fighting in forests (and snow) whereas Illyrian infantry types (I think all of them) get bonuses to fighting in forests (and, if I remember correctly) are neutral to snow.

One tactic is to have phalanx center in the open [that's where they shine] while sticking Illyrian-heavy flanks in the woods; or alternatively: a phalanx center + 1 flank of theoreoporoi in the open + the other flank, heavy in Illyrians in the woods.

hi,

how do you give other factions buildings?

thanks