Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Town hall map.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Default Town hall map.

Well I had finnaly found the Town hall and so I had a glimpse at the town hall map. Its a cool looking map, but I'm sure its a bit out of date. None the less I knew where my 'base' was on the map, so I set off to the north (by the maps direction, 'North' was straight along the town hall).

Soon enough while walking, I came upon a familial sight which was this giant runway.... and then I realised I wasn't going north, I was going west. Secondly, the map was pointing west, not north! So although it is a good map, the map gives no baring to the right direction (north), so it isn't helpful to new people at all.

I have drawn a diagram to show below.
    Last edited by IZob; November 14, 2012 at 05:10 AM.
    Contact me on Steam: steamcommunity.com/id/IZob/ or send a PM.

Nyxos's Avatar when in doubt, doubt.

Default Re: Town hall map.

actually, the map direction are correct I believe, they where made according to the sun and not the map Stun made

EDIT : I really need to TNT that runway, or make it bigger
    Patronized by Hader.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

ahhh according to the sun Well then everyone saying the USSR living in the north is all **** lol

Yeah, the Town Hall is my communal building so I update it. It is out-of-date at the moment because I have most been recently building roads, and it's also damaged following an accident with a creeper and requires repairs.

As for direction, the only compass points we can be sure of are East and West, because of the Sun, and North and South are pretty arbitrary.

Isn't north the direction of the clouds?
    He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat - Napoleon Bonaparte

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralMaximus View Post
    Isn't north the direction of the clouds?
    Their path is definitely related to the North/South directions. If the map in the town hall follows the true compass (sunrise/sunset), then I believe the clouds are always headed south - I have heard the opposite in a Youtube video, however.

PS. Upon closer consideration: the clouds are going northwards. If the cartographed map's west is the true north, and the clouds are coming towards me while looking eastwards from my wilderness dwelling according to the cartographed map, it means that the clouds are headed north.

What is our official compass anyway?
    Last edited by Aanker; November 28, 2010 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Mangerman's Avatar Only the ladder is real

I am using the Cartograph for my directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangerman View Post
    I am using the Cartograph for my directions.
    Same here
    He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat - Napoleon Bonaparte

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Technically, since the Minecraft world is flat, there isn't actually a "North" (though you could argue that the Sun should rise in the East and set in the West). Obviously though, North is an intuitive idea to grasp for navigation, thus i'd simply co-ordinate North to be what Cartographer designates as "North".
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Stuntdawg5's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    ahhh according to the sun Well then everyone saying the USSR living in the north is all **** lol
    No, these maps I'm making are perfectly correct. The north is the north and the south is the south. The USSR is north of the city.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Yes I made a mistake, as the sun rises in the East and sets in the West (assuming minecraft revolves like earth), that would mean the USSR is in fact in the North. Technically speaking, by the laws of gravity which are true in minecraft by the Suns rotation (our rotation around it) and our reality with gravity, this means that minecraft dose have a real North poll; even though we can never reach it. But past this futile information, the town hall map still needs to be rotated right 90 degrees.

Interesting theory also, I assume since the sun and moon are both cubes, and all of minecraft is in cubes. Then a theory of the 'minecraft world' being one giant cube is very plausible. Meaning at some point the flat landscape should go vertical onto the next flat surface. Wouldn’t that be cool, and weird?

jakev2's Avatar Primicerius

I'm going by North is the direction of the North path (or north raod) which makes sense, then right is East, left is West, and behind is South.
    House Tully, Lords Paramount of the Trident in A Game of Thrones RPG

Why does it make sense? Just because somebody has called it North doesn't make it so.

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

i have given this some thought and i think north is in the direction of the snow, and south is in the direction if the desert

Nyxos's Avatar when in doubt, doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Makrell View Post
    i have given this some thought and i think north is in the direction of the snow, and south is in the direction if the desert
    but you got snow all over the place and desert all over the place, its random
    Patronized by Hader.

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Quote Originally Posted by Nyxos View Post
    but you got snow all over the place and desert all over the place, its random
    nah, i stillbelieve myself

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Just so you know, the map isn't actually orientated north as in the direction you're facing when you walk into the map room is north; it's actually west. There are signs on each side of the map room denoting which direction is which relative to the map in the room.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Indefinitely Banned

You know you can use Google earth to view your maps its updating by itself as well

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Someone should simply go into the map room with a compass and sort it out. That way, ingame directional aids match up with the map.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

The compass points to the spawn, not some fixed North IIRC.
    Which means the map room pretty much IS MC's counterpart to the magnetic North by virtue of being so close to the spawn
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast