Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: A Proper Empire: Terra Incognita v1.1.0 - Discussion and Suggestions

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Default Re: A Proper Empire: Terra Incognita v1.1.0 - Discussion and Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Subuatai de Bodemloze View Post
    Bump..
    I cleared your last bump.

Please don't bump the suggestion thread.

I'll let you know when I have some information for you...

...by posting in this thread.
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

Pope Gregorius I's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: A Proper Empire: Terra Incognita v1.1.0 - Discussion and Suggestions

one thing i noticed. The Barbary States are still in my game despite the fact the description says they have been removed. the Three New World protectorates are gone though, which I like very much.

also, i am doing this myself, but if the team was interested...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

also quick suggestion that i though t might be a cool littel add-in for simple aesthetic purposes. if the proper channels could be gone through to get this incorporated, it tightens the formations up to make the battle lines a little more realistic, it was done by Skyline Pete.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=271804

the original mod is here, with screenshots, done by lesterthenerd
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ter+formations

off to restart my new campaign, (i reinstalled it after realizing the Barb States were there, but since they are still there idk whats goin on...)

all in all a great mod...the pricing of things and repair costs could go down, and perhaps research cost as well...is it the cost of each technology researched or for each turn of research?

Battle AI problem I have been noticing....it seems that in almost every major battle i fight, no matter how good the AI is about marching in line and engaging in line etc. once cavalry are present on the field, the entire AI seems to want to move to counter the horsemen, making them all move toward my flanks and allowing my main infantry force to drive through the center. the AI force then crumbles and each unit does its own thing, including lining up individual units with their flanks unguarded and open to my main line...etc, etc. In short it seems as if the BAI is either not working or is going crazy, etc.
    Last edited by Pope Gregorius I; March 04, 2011 at 11:17 AM.
    "Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great compassion. Your delight is not in horses, nor Your pleasure in warriors strength..."

grandpa's Avatar Elite Bytebumbler

The cost of research is per turn, per school, related to its level of upgrade. All added together and displayed by the advisor when a school is clicked on.
    If you own two schools, the cost is compounded accordingly.

We are currently looking for ideas from the community on how best to reduce the late game money flush. In the late game, you have more money than is usable.
    If you get any ideas, it would be great to hear them.

I am happy to hear you are enjoying the Mod. I agree it is a fine mod, by excellent modders.

L33t will be along I'm sure to answer your questions about the barbary pirates.

Cheers.

"Work smart or be tuff", American Inventor Herbert Willaims. An amazing man. Inventor of the Openhydro Tidal energy machine, located in Orkney Islands. www.openhydro.com

It doesn't cost a dime to be nice yet has the highest return
    on investment. grandpa

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Well... I'll check again but the updated v1.1.0 should have the barbary removed as a PLAYABLE faction not as a faction all together.

They will still be present in the game but you shouldn't be able to select them and play them.

I don't have the issue you describe with the BAI, I usually carry at least 4 cavalry units onto the field, not including my general.

EDIT: Tight formations were removed for many reasons, primarily due to the units having to shuffle out a long distance in order to use certain firing drills causing a delay in firing and triggering leapfrog reaction from the AI.
    Last edited by l33tl4m3r; March 04, 2011 at 12:06 PM.
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

Pope Gregorius I's Avatar Ducenarius

ah, ok. sounds good. thanks for the clarification concerning the BPs

as for the battle AI the crazy fail tactics have occurred with both normal and tightened formations. ill keep playing around to see what happens in campaign, so far of only played custom battles(since i reinstalled that is).

EDIT: ok i am using Luntik's BAI, and the campaign battles (Russia) so far have been very good. they have only been small encounters so far but i was crushed superbly in the last one i had by Georgian line infantry and cavalry, the latter holding off their charge until my flank was exposed and worn down...1+1=2...and my whole army routs from the field rather quickly. (Custom battles still suck, but i think that CA's mistakes might be beyond complete fixing.)
    Last edited by Pope Gregorius I; March 04, 2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: update on my BAI issues
    "Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great compassion. Your delight is not in horses, nor Your pleasure in warriors strength..."

zxcvmnb's Avatar Semisalis

I have several suggestions on how to improve this game.
    First of all I am curious if it is possible to create faction specific tech trees as seen in Napoleon:TW. I believe these techs could be used to represent reforms and major technological breakthroughs in certain countries. This would allow for more faction specific game play. I strongly suggest the idea, if possible.
    Secondly, I suggest that both the values of territories and peace are increased for the AI to encourage territory trading.
    If I have any more suggestions I shall post them later.
    Best of luck with the mod!
    Signed,
    zxcvmnb

TGW Mod Official Unit Cutter-Outer

ODaly's Avatar Semisalis

I don't believe that faction-specific tech trees are possible, though it would be nice to have a few more factions start out with a low-level tech like Prussia, France, and GB do.
    This would be very difficult. As it is, the AI very highly covets certain territories over others, and it's sometimes hard to tell why. I think making territories more "valuable" (if it's even possible) might decrease what little land-swapping already goes on. It would be awesome if making peace was easier as well, instead of countries fighting down to the death even when severely overmatched.

APE:TI Morale Officer
    2nd Dan Search-Fu Artist

Krixux's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: [Add-On] APE: TI with AUM

so far:
    i had APETI played (allways !!!) as France (!) at h/h ; honestly i had nightmaires and at work id usually build up strategies in my mind to atleast survive the Leathal AI. imho concerning the chalenge APETI rocks; like after a 30+min battle i won and sweting trumbling all over i smoked and had a brandy deeply satisfied !
    well then i had DMUC played at vh/vh - i usually felt asleep or arranged my troops pressed 'play battle' went out to shop, when back: battle ended with me 'heroic victory'.......
    (no offence dmuc) otherwhise DMUC is extremly nice looking,
    so uninstalled dmuc reinstalled apeti + aum and at n/n now i hardly suvive - wow
    well i play TW series since the first one and i have in 11 years more than 10000h of tw gameplay (bragging but is true)

so APEti is indeed imho an adult () entertainment : is complicated, intriguing, chalenging and agressive ! as any TW game (vanila included!) should be .

it could be improved:
    -major nations should survive! at least longer; like prusia being outed by poland or austria in 15 turns or the otomans anatolia being rebel in 20 turns. (the turks r from anatolia!)
    -churces or/and scools build in major cities , the slot on map used as economic something
    -units recruitment in specific regions ; in Paris i have 200 cards of trops - hard to make a choice; ex:
    west merc in Brussel, swis gard in Paris but other swis or german speaking units spread in dif regions
    -indeed more rev francelike look of armies after the Revolution, well they are blue... but take the Ducth (no offence) line inf & implement it as france or something; white trouses and chest , blue coats with some red, black hats with white straps (ahem) oh: and the backpack ! we r at war not at a costume party!
    -alied (player included) when breaking an aliance shuld not be able to attack directly but after some turns 2 o 3.
    -(hm) 4 turns per year: 1 winter -3 summer? (apeti concerned)
    -some tech restricted to specific nations: fire by rank in punjab armies ? hm....funny, or 122 guns ship of the line for marata...haha
    -lanceres should hold their spears as the knights in Medieval TW, not "im just about to throw my spear at u"

personal ideea:

what about some lost regiments going through a portal into a paralel universe where the neanderthal are at the top of the food chain and humans at the bottom, being used as cattle by the neo-orks? and a third race, an evolutionary amixture of both basic races as a neutral but human lover.
    a brand new world, where our disciplined regiments using gunpowder and baionets are settling and build a new life, a new civilisation! - whould that be cool? -lots of unknown threats strugle for survival, against all odds victories and your empire will grow bringing light in a dark world...

with deep respect and admiration (+envy) for ur uber talent and for the time u sacrifice to give us a cool mod !

Default Re: [Add-On] APE: TI with AUM

well actually the above was posted 1st on dcum side (my mistake....)

ODaly's Avatar Semisalis

Posts moved from AUM thread.

2nd Dan Search-Fu Artist

ODaly's Avatar Semisalis

@Krixux

1. I've heard people say that Prussia gets stomped a bit too often, as well as P-L being a powerhouse in the mid- and late-game, but aside from some very specific scripting, I don't know if there's anything that'll fix those occurences.
    2. The slots in major cities can only hold the buildings already designated for spots in major cities. Map modding like you suggest is not yet possible.
    3. There are already many units that are location-specific. In regions like France, it's easy to achieve the necessary prerequisites for a great many units, while other territories are less flexible, thus why things are as they are now.
    4. There are a number of great re-skinning minimods that make the changes you mention. I suggest looking at the relevant subforums for something you like.
    5. Modding the AI is very limited and tricky. It'd be nice if we could inject a bit more reason into diplomatic actions, but I wouldn't expect any big improvements in the near future.
    6. Editing the turns-per-year is quite easy, but if you do so, you'll have 2 winter and 2 summer. Unfortunately that is the way the engine works, and there's no changing it.
    7. Restricting technology like you suggest may make sense historically, but l33t will have to answer to whether or not it will (or can) be implemented.
    8. I don't think animations can be changed, but it wouldn't hurt to look for a specific mod to do that.

As for your personal suggestion, it sounds far outside the scope of this game's capabilities. That said, if it's pursued at all, it'd be done with a mod team separate from APE:TI.

2nd Dan Search-Fu Artist

Krixux,
    very good post. nice to see folks thinking outside the box! Have you noticed the flush of money in the late game? There is a thread here addressing that, how about giving us your thoughts there as well.
    Im sure the developers of this Mod appreciate the high praise, I agree, and beleive they do not get enough credit for the excellent work they did here.

ODaly...you rock bro!
    +rep to you both.

"Work smart or be tuff", American Inventor Herbert Willaims. An amazing man. Inventor of the Openhydro Tidal energy machine, located in Orkney Islands. www.openhydro.com

on investment. grandpa

Love U all , APETI indeed kicks big !
    actually its the ontly mod i play 4 a while now !

thx both for the answers; so -

ODaly

"1. I've heard people say that Prussia gets stomped a bit too often, as well as P-L being a powerhouse in the mid- and late-game, but aside from some very specific scripting, I don't know if there's anything that'll fix those occurences."
    --- i belive that ive seen a file where was somthing like: " if France 10000 then 50000" i dont remeber where but perhaps this is adding extra money to the specific AI nation if in financial problems; something like in M2tw strat. -kings money ,or something
    "2,3 "- got it
    "4. There are a number of great re-skinning minimods that make the changes you mention. I suggest looking at the relevant subforums for something you like" - ok where are they ?!?! (ill look myself hehe)
    "5" diplomacy hm triky indeed - a who likes who, file if such exist as in down to bottom old Strat. m2tw?
    "6. Editing the turns-per-year is quite easy, but if you do so, you'll have 2 winter and 2 summer. Unfortunately that is the way the engine works, and there's no changing it." - okeyyy, how? couse honestly when i play apeti i whish it does not end ... (sucking up big time here - is it working?)
    "7" ....love is kind & patient"
    "8" actually i can live with them lanciers as they are....

"As for your personal suggestion, it sounds far outside the scope of this game's capabilities. That said, if it's pursued at all, it'd be done with a mod team separate from APE:TI."
    - is an old book i red some 15 years ago but it goes about a lost North USA regiment of inf that gets through a strange mist into a world dominated by neo'orks , a great read, ill try to find it again....

oh Granpa
    u look gorgeous !
    hehe:
    "I agree, and beleive they do not get enough credit for the excellent work they did here."
    AMEN !

but what about some diff music like player's army has his own drum & flute march while the ai goes on with that execution drum vanila noise?

im out now - just finishet my 8h night shift & i badly need to play Apeti !!!

oh sorry i forgot:

Granpa : "Have you noticed the flush of money in the late game? There is a thread here addressing that, how about giving us your thoughts there as well"
    hmhm well i did my own "pref" : the same rezistance for ai at hard lev as is for me it helps for a balanced imo game (perhaps im whrong);
    ... it is indeed alot of cash but its a help couse by that time we have to fight against huge empires and personally i give large amouts to the enemies of my enemies hoping that it helps keeping then away from me . i dont know if lets say i give the Otomans 200000 it actually goes to them and their AI is using that cash... what bothers me actually is that the AI is not "retraining" its troops, so i overwhelm him allthow he has ex: average 8- exp units but like 12 men per cav unit & 25 men inf ; while im at no exp but 45 cav/unit & 120 inf/unit....

ODaly's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Krixux View Post
    "4. There are a number of great re-skinning minimods that make the changes you mention. I suggest looking at the relevant subforums for something you like" - ok where are they ?!?! (ill look myself hehe)
    Look here, probably in the "Visuals and Audio" section.
    As for editing turns per year, it'll be somewhere around here. It's an easy change, but I can't remember how to do it.
    Last edited by ODaly; March 26, 2011 at 10:52 AM.

2nd Dan Search-Fu Artist

Krixux...by the way . love ur handle...reminds me of krixus in spatacus, the show on T.V. that is now off....WAAAAA.

Using pack file manager, and an script editor, you can find most things relating to effects of buildings, units, governance, etc in the empire/data/apeti-modcore. poke around in there, and make a change, test it to see if you like it, keep it if you do, toss or tweek if you don't.
    you can also make tweeks inside your pref. file loctated in empire/terra incognita. I would serriously read a couple of the tutorials beforehand, and make a change at a time so that you know what you changed, and how to un change it. if you make a bunch of changes you may make a mess of it, and have to reload it all.

As for an etherworld mod, sounds nice huh. That would require a serious unit skinner...and they are very rare.
    to do something yourself you would need an "Gimp" (free version on-line)program, for graphics. If you look around in the core pack, you will see how the unit uniforms, and body parts are arranged. I would imagine if you didnt mind screwing up your game and having to reload it a few times, you could learn something...and then teach me HAHAHA. The unit skins may be somewhere else now that I think of it, but if you get the hang of pack file manager, you can poke about and have a look. Your comments reminded me of a book series I read (a long time ago) called GOR. it was awesome.
    Let us know if you find something interesting. Thank you for your kind comments.
    Have a great day!

on investment. grandpa

The thing about costs and money flushing in the late game is related to costs and such. As tech advances and your trade/production increases, your costs go down. You are making more money and costs are going down... Thus you have more money to play with (money flushing). There is no inflation attribute in the game, but maybe that could be implemented (more money = decreased income).

P.S. I watch Spartacus too! I wish the 2nd season would be finished... It sucks about the main guy having cancer and all...

Deciphering The Zodiac - Check It Out!

@ ODaly:

Sir yes Sir ! ( i did try T2H Beta V1.1 in apeti but is not yet complete - a super cool uniform mod tho !)
    ill go for those sites wright now !

@ grandpa

"reminds me of krixus in spatacus" yes ur right - it is me!
    i would like to mess a little with some files, & i dont mind screwing up - reinstalling etw is easy

"and then teach me HAHAHA." me? nope m8 , im just at the begining of my screw,mess,break up modding.... but ill try & let u know if something comes up (im just past the stage of : "is that arrow moving on my screen - my mouse ?" )

GOR - Yes that it !!!!! uber imo !

so far : HOTFIX_APETI_031211 is a really buster:less men in armed citizery & more for native americans-uh as wasnt bad enough in americas,now im really screwed up! but i LOVE it ! + tch tree changed,is more interesting - good work apeti ! -started a new game

ps:
    grandpa : have we met already at that cript party? man... u should cut douwn on ur meals - uve gained weight !

a pitty that i get an error when try to install pack file manager 1_12
    it asks me to change something in registery, hm ill try that , c u
    -2h latter-
    oh ok got it , gosh is a pain
    so with pack file manager i was able to open lots but to get the units texture hm this darn nvidia photoshop plug in is just...hm "plug in"

edit this darn "Gimp" wont oppen "french_republic_line_infantry_diffuse.dds" from "apeti_skins.pack" !!! where on earth "photoshop plug in" should be installed ? (ahem whats +rep for ?)
    Last edited by Krixux; March 27, 2011 at 02:25 AM.

Tan Zhi Han, I had not heard of who had cancer. that is too bad, cuz I loved that man-show!

Krixux, looks like you are on the right path. just gotta figure it out, me I was too chicken, hehe.

+Rep is what you may want to give ODaly and others for all the help, or good ideas they give, its the lil green plus sign at the bottom left of each persons post. I guess you could consider it a measure of someone being appreciated. Though some folks do away with the app, as they don't care either way.
    you may want to post a few questions in the mod workshop about you intentions. There are some awfully talented folks in this community, and everyone is eager to help others.

Good luck

on investment. grandpa

hehe thx Grandpa !
    u can check my post on T2H - i hope that cool guy will implement those uber textures for apeti ... huh ....

itmw im working on something i cant wait to post, but it will take some time;
    btw nice meeting U guys ! u all rock!

:sparta:

ok here it is, i hope im doing it right:

+Rep ODaly

PS
    Concerning the AI retraining its units,
    I did the following in TI_prefs :
    original:
    “supply_theatre_base = 320 -- base supply for each theatre
    supply_region_base = 80
    mp_pop_exponent = 0.56
    mp_offset = 20
    mpg_min_coefficient = 1/30 -- minimum manpower growth as a fraction of base manpower
    mpg_pop_growth_coefficient = 0.08 -- coefficient for population-growth-proportional mpg portion”

changed to:
    “supply_theatre_base = 620 -- base supply for each theatre
    supply_region_base = 280
    mp_pop_exponent = 0.56
    mp_offset = 20
    mpg_min_coefficient = 5/30 -- minimum manpower growth as a fraction of base manpower
    mpg_pop_growth_coefficient = 0.38 -- coefficient for population-growth-proportional mpg portion”
    (is just a try, don't execute me )

As a result now the AI in fully retraining all its units, and while might look as a plus for the human player, in the long term is even worse imo , because I faced full retrained high value AI armies now! Btw , Prussia is doing well after some 30 turns in h/h, perhaps because the above changes and change in resistance settings:
    “elseif difficulty == -1 then
    rr_max_AI_modifier = -16
    rr_max_difficulty_modifier = -16”
    it seems that regions are quite hard to occupy , as result the entire world map has a slow evolution with some regions integrated and some retaken by previous owner. it is tho a relative growth in territories for major nations but other even if destroyed are reborn.( as Portugal gone in turn 16 - came back 3 turn latter) ill try diff values asap
    ---
    I dare say that APETI is in major need of a SEXY look! Now is cute, but with a boost of gorgeous units textures could be a total uber !
    The try with “T2H_patrie_en_danger (Campaign Patch).pack” went well in APETI, with the only problem that I’ve got both, lets say, original line inf + T2H line inf to recruit at the same time. The T2H units texture is a total blast: as nice looking as in tron mod for ntw !!!!
    I hope that im not to annoying , but believe me, I would just like to see this cool mod at the very top, (ok... not in the detriment of other mods which are cool on their own for a specific game play - hm am I making any sense?)

uve been kind to me Grandpa and others, and gave cool and helpfull responces always.
    +Rep Grandpa
    (yet.... i did not fugured how exacly this +rep works....)

Last edited by Krixux; March 27, 2011 at 11:38 PM.