View Poll Results: Sould Ulster in the next update?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they sould be in.

29 90.63%
  • No, they sould not be in.

3 9.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ulster?

PhilipO'Hayda's Avatar Vicarius

Default Ulster?

Ok am putting down same info on Ulster and a poll to see if peolpe would like to see Ulster in the next update.
    HISTORY OF ULSTER
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "whosoever's hand is the first to touch the shore of Ulster, so shall he be made the king".
    One potential king so desired the kingship that, upon seeing that he was losing the race, he cut off his hand and threw it to the shore — thus winning the kingship. The hand is most likely red to represent the fact that it would have been covered in blood. According to some versions of the story, the king who cut off his hand belonged to the Uí Néill clan, which apparently explains its association with them.

Ulster is one of the four Irish provinces. Its name derives from the Irish language Cúige Uladh (pronounced "Kooi-gah UH-loo"), meaning "'fifth' of the Ulaidh", named for the ancient inhabitants of the region.
    The province's early story extends further back than written records and survives mainly in legends such as the Ulster Cycle.

In early medieval Ireland, the Uí Néill dynasty displaced the Ulaid and dominated Ulster from their base in Tír Eóghain, most of which forms modern County Tyrone. Among the High Kings of Ireland were Áed Findliath (died 879), Niall Glúndub (died 919), and Domnall ua Néill (died 980), all of the Cenél nEógain branch of the Uí Néill. Their descendants took the surname Mac Lochlainn (McLaughlin), ruling the kingdom of Ailech.

Ulidia had it's own capital - Emain Macha, kings and border (the Black Pigs Dyke) in ancient times. The people were the ancient Cruthin and Ulaid - as recorded by a Greek geographer in the 2nd century A.D. This nation came under attack from Gaelic lead peoples from Ireland. The semi historical / mythical Tain describes this period telling how Ulster people came under attack by peoples from the south in a cattle raid and how Ulster was defended by her ancient hero - Setanta.

Ulster is not to be confused with the English province; it was under Elizabeth the First that the Provinces were drawn up as administrative boundaries. Irish nationalists who refuse to recognise a separate Ulster and proclaim they do not recognise 'British borders in Ireland' will often dishonourably dismiss Ulster as merely an Irish province - recognising a 'British border in Ireland' . Unfortunately a debate by the 'Northern Ireland' parliament in the 1960s to counter this confusion by renaming the country Ulster - it's rightful name - never came to fruition.
    Gradually the Ulster capital fell (around 450 A.D.) and Ulster became a much reduced nation as it's border moved eastwards. In fact many of these ancient Ulster people, who the Romans called Scotti, fled across the North Channel and gave this name to Scotland. It was these peoples who had absorbed Gaelic from their overlords that gave Scotland this language.
    In 637 the Ulstermen / Ulidians were defeated at the battle of Moira, and although they retained independence in the east of Ulster, this was the end of ancient Ulster.

Map of Ireland

Flag of ULSTER

Goal: Total domination of N.Ireland and west Scotland.

Irish Historical adviser for Albion:Total war

Halvar von Flake's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Ulster?

Looks nice!
    But it's hard to decide whether Ulster should be in or out before we have tested game play and balance of TLK first release...

Celtichugs123's Avatar Senator

Looks cool, but without cousing Political strife, is that Flag, with the Orange hand not the Protestant hand? Or is it a different flag but similair? I know little about Irish history!

But, either way I voted yes, more Factions the better I say! And I enjoyed playing the Irish on MIITW
    Last edited by Celtichugs123; November 27, 2010 at 06:21 AM.
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

“For myself, I find I become less cynical rather than more--remembering my own sins and follies; and realize that men's hearts are not often as bad as their acts, and very seldom as bad as their words.”
    - J.R.R Tolkien

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

Why not ?
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

King Patrick's Avatar Tiro
    Ireland in the ancient Kingdom but now province of Connacht!

It is funny to look at Munsters name "MUMU" I am in for the Kingdom of Ulster.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtichugs123 View Post
    Looks cool, but without cousing Political strife, is that Flag, with the Orange hand not the Protestant hand? Or is it a different flag but similair? I know little about Irish history!

But, either way I voted yes, more Factions the better I say! And I enjoyed playing the Irish on MIITW
    Thats why I put down the History.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipO'Hayda View Post

"whosoever's hand is the first to touch the shore of Ulster, so shall he be made the king".
    One potential king so desired the kingship that, upon seeing that he was losing the race, he cut off his hand and threw it to the shore — thus winning the kingship. The hand is most likely red to represent the fact that it would have been covered in blood. According to some versions of the story, the king who cut off his hand belonged to the Uí Néill clan, which apparently explains its association with them.

Rod The Viking's Avatar Libertus

I can't use the poll, but +1 to including Ulster.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod The Viking View Post
    I can't use the poll, but +1 to including Ulster.
    Whats wrong with it?

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipO'Hayda View Post
    Whats wrong with it?
    It might be he doesn't have enough posts?
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Rod The Viking's Avatar Libertus

Yeah I think it's just a case of me having too few posts.

Indefinitely Banned

I voted no it reminds me of the uvf flags.Put the royal county in instead co meath

Quote Originally Posted by tom cruise View Post
    I voted no it reminds me of the uvf flags.Put the royal county in instead co meath

^This

And Also I would like leinster to be in

You mean this Flag

But really why would anyone went to change the Ulster flag because they don't like Ulster Scots. who them slef have changed the flag. To the one you see above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteriscoolz View Post
    ^This

And Also I would like leinster to be in
    leinsters also not that big. and I say would get in the way.

Celtichugs123's Avatar Senator

Aha so you did, sorry mate. Looking good, man!
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

“For myself, I find I become less cynical rather than more--remembering my own sins and follies; and realize that men's hearts are not often as bad as their acts, and very seldom as bad as their words.”
    - J.R.R Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Celtichugs123 View Post
    Aha so you did, sorry mate. Looking good, man!
    no need to be sorry.

Well, considering this mod is no where near reaching the faction limit yet, I think Ulster would be a nice addition. Even better, if the map is extended further East, there will still be plenty of faction slots left, so adding Ulster won't prevent new factions over there.

@PhilipO'Hayda ~ Are you a team member or are you just curious about what people would like to see in the mod if at all possible?

Indefinitely Banned

i suppose one has a crown over its head and the other does not in that case ill retract my no and change it to yes

Quote Originally Posted by WinsingtonIII View Post
    Well, considering this mod is no where near reaching the faction limit yet, I think Ulster would be a nice addition. Even better, if the map is extended further East, there will still be plenty of faction slots left, so adding Ulster won't prevent new factions over there.
    I think Ulster would fit in great. It'll be a pain for connacht & munster and will be hell for Scotland. theres a very good reason why Ulster still stands today as N.Ireland.
    Quote Originally Posted by WinsingtonIII View Post
    @PhilipO'Hayda ~ Are you a team member or are you just curious about what people would like to see in the mod if at all possible?
    Na, its just myslef,Irish blood and danova, were chating about having Ulster in the game a few weeks ago and I just wented to know what peolpe thought.
    i suppose one has a crown over its head and the other does not in that case ill retract my no and change it to yes
    yes to the crown one isit?

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Yes the Ui Neill should be in, They were a power throughout irish history right up until the flight of the earls.
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Quote Originally Posted by smoesville View Post
    Yes the Ui Neill should be in, They were a power throughout irish history right up until the flight of the earls.
    And his peolpe are still around today,being a right torn in the side of the rest of Ireland

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast