• Yeuzhi

26 36.11%
  • Mauryan Empire

46 63.89%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yeuhzi or Mauryan Empire?

Civitate

Default Yeuhzi or Mauryan Empire?

What faction wood u prefer? i see alot of people saying the yeuzhi faction does nothing, so i wonfered if they wood prefer a Mauryan faction. In no way am i trying to dis credit the EB team, i wood just prefer the Mauryan Empire.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Well, the Mauryans have the historic issue of not having all their territory on the map, which may end up becomming the same issue as the Yuezhi. It was remarked somewhere that their decision for new factions is not based upon gameplay, but rather history, so the arguement of the Yuezhi not doing anything (And in some campaigns, they very well do. Also, the British stacks, if without a land bridge, would also be a faction that 'does nothing).

If their arguement for inclusion can be historically backed regarding the problem of territory, then by all means I'd want them along.

I don't know the history, but for me the sheer practicalities of trying to insert the Mauryan Empire preclude them. They'd have, what?, one or two provinces right in the corner - how do you then represent the fact they control lands far far bigger off the screen? Do you have them start off like a single province tribe or do you beef up that starting province into a power house to represent their extra lands? Either way doesn't seem very acceptable.

Plus one of the great things about the Mauryans would be that they would look so different to the other factions, and yet we'd be stuck having to assign them an existing culture, so on the strat map they'd look greek or eastern or something. Due to model limits, you couldn't really have that many different types of troops, maybe only a handful. You really couldn't do them justice.

Personally, I'm looking forward to mods like Blue Lotus to give me a really cool 'Indian' look. I'd prefer to leave it to mods who really want to focus on that area rather than to try and shoehorn it unsatisfactorily into EB.

Anyway, whilst this poll is either/or I know that before they discovered faction limits EB was looking to include more than two dozen different factions, so there are a lot of strong contenders in there (and a lot of criteria to be considered) that'll get discussed internally - not just the Mauryans.

But as you will highly likely port to another RTW version (1.5 or 1.6) you can make new cultures, which means a Mauryan faction could get its own culture?

Personally I'd love to see the Mauryans.
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

However, there may remain culture limits. And that still leaves doing brand new research into them, as well getting portaits suited to the Mauryans.

I don't really know what Prom is doing to introduce them in Res Getae.

We've discussed Maurya before; they are incredibly unlikely. Most of their territory is not on screen (only a tiny area is), and they simply would be impossible to realistically portray given our limitations of space, size, and faction limits, as well as shaky historicity on their actual involvement with the region. More realistic options are places like Saba in Arabia or a different steppe people; their whole initial territory can be represented, it will not take a lot of extra models to make their army look realistic, and they can probably share portraits with some one.

Kushan's Avatar Artifex

IF the Yeuhzi were to be replaced, I'd personally like it to be another steppe faction or an Arabian faction like Ranika suggested.

As said before the Mauryans wouldn't have the majority of their lands represented, and with models space already very limited they just seam unfeasable to me.

For another steppe faction the models, skins are all there. We would just have to do some renaming, and reorganization of starting territories, correct faction units names, etc. Considerably easier then adding only a half done faction.

Kushan
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The last faction should be something actually interesting. If Maurya cant be included, and the majority happens to be BEGGING for Maurya, stick with the Yuezhi and improve on them.

But the Yuezhi are not necessarily accurate, and if we can't find a good historic reason to keep them, they'll be cut; we won't add anything just because it might be interesting.

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

We looked at the Mauryans for RTR, it really can't be done gamewise for many of the reason highlighted in this thread by ER and Ranika, not to mention historically. Personally I would like to see EB replace the Yeuhzi(if as it seems they are ahistorical) with the saka. But I don't know which other factions EB is considering including so I cannot speak to which was more important historically.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

I'd love to see an arabian faction. You've got that wonderful Arabian peninsula that's pretty much empty. It would be nice to have some action there.

I'd love to see an Arabian faction, but the trick is picking one that lives up to our criteria. I like to ask myself these questions;

Primary questions, based on historicity, as well as pragmatism;

1. Is it historically accurate that the faction be present at all? - This one I know; Yes, there are several accurate Arabian factions, I believe; Sabea and Nabatae at least.

2. Is it well-documented enough that we can accurately represent it? - This one can be tough when dealing with Arabian factions, but it's the same way for the Yuezhi, so this shouldn't stumble us too much so long as we have at least a few sources.

3. Is it influential politically? - That is, did its policies or behaviors notably affect others?

4. Is it influential economically? - Probably one of our primary reasons for choosing the Casse; control of a huge amount of ancient tin trade to near the point of a modern-day monopoly throughout much of Europe. Is there something like that there?

5. Is it influential militarily? - By conquest, raids, or just putting up a remarkable level of resistance to foreign incursion

6. Is it relevant to other factions? - How important is it to its nieghbors that this faction be present? Did it influence their politics and attitude in a way not able to be represented by rebels?

7. Can it actually be added to the game and done historical justice within our limitations? - This one can be the deathknell of what could otherwise be an interesting faction. This is essentially: Do we have the model, map, and unit space to actually do these people justice? This is probably one of the big ones that does in the idea of using the Mauryan Empire. It's simply not viable. However, there are other issues, involving historicity and so on, but I'd say this is the big one.

Secondary questions, more based on gameplay;

1. Will it be fun?

2. Will it offer something unique in the way of units or play style?

3. Will people want to play it?

I find they're good questions to ask and allow a deeper consideration of what factions will work. There are plenty of factions one might find cool or have something fun about them, or have an interesting history. However, that doesn't mean they're necessarily viable on that alone.

Most of the Mauryan lands are not on EB's map. The Mauryan capital of Pataliputra is all the way on the other side of India, far away from our current eastern locations of our map. I would suggest and also like to see an Arabian faction.

davepyne's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Fabolous
    Personally I would like to see EB replace the Yeuhzi(if as it seems they are ahistorical) with the saka. But I don't know which other factions EB is considering including so I cannot speak to which was more important historically.
    Hear, hear. I don't know why the Scythians(Saka) were replaced by the Sarmatians anyway. They are appropriate to the starting date of 270. That was around the time in which the Sarmatians started pushing the Scythians westward. Idealy the Scythians(Saka) and the Sarmatians should be included. As for the Yuezhi, they only were in the EB map for 50 years from 176 BC to 120 BC (wiki) so I would say remove them.

Artifex

The Mauryans are not an option for EB.
    Ignoranti, quem portum petat, nullus suus ventus est. - Seneca

Ahmose's Avatar Libertus

I think the best is to make back the numidians and presenting thier civil war with strong rebels forces in africa. Aha, what about incoluding the Ilyrians, I think this a historical time for them. You know the pirating they did along the roman coasts in italy, thier wars with the makdonians and romans.
    Now playing and modding for Chivalry Total War Mod although I got Medieval II Total War...

I'd rather have a new faction on the arabian peninsula, Saba/Nabaeans(?) or another steppe faction (saka?) because neither Yuezhi's nor maruyans entire kingdom in included in the EB map.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

"attack the argument, not the person saying it" -lee1026
    Sig by Manji

I'd much rather see Numidia returned actually...and it fulfils all of Ranikas criteria...

A second Greek faction would make the game more interesting. In my Getai campaign, I've seen the Makedonians sweeping away the Greeks in Greece, leaving only Rhodos for the Greeks. They rule the economic powerhouse Greece now, and the Epirians are getting weaker and weaker, mainly because they are unable to conquer the rebel cities up north and the Romani kicked them out of Italy. If Macedonia and Epirus go to war, the former will most likely win after a long struggle. In my opinion, Macedonia still defeats the Greeks too easy.

Two Greek factions would make Greece harder to conquer, especially for Macedonia. The Achaean League would be a worthy enemy for the Macedonian phalanx and hetaroi.
    In patronicum sub Tacticalwithdrawal
    Brother of Rosacrux redux and Polemides

Neither. Instead, one more Germanic tribe wouldn't have gone amiss - just like the Gauls got two factions for a more accurate representation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast