Thread: [Proposal]Change Unit's Name

Jean Lannes's Avatar Libertus

Icon10 [Proposal]Change Unit's Name

I asked if it were possible in RS2.1a yet so I hope that this is the right subforum to write this proposal ...

In the next reales or in a submod could be possible to give a specific name to a unit?

For example,in ETW or\and NTW when you recruit a unit such as a Line Infantry (example),you can give it a name like "1st Regiment of Foot" or "2nd Grenadiers" (with a max of characters).

Will it be possible to do the same in RSII? I would like to name my infantry cohorts (from 1st to the 10th) so I can distinguish them on the battlefield and during the campaign.
    "Audacia Pro Muro Habetur"
    Lucius Sergius Catilina
    Battle of Pistoia,62 BC

"Mon coeur est à toi, mon sang à l'Empereur, ma vie à l'honneur"
    General Antoine Charles Louis Collinet, Comte de Lasalle
    Letter to his wife,before dying at Wargram (5 July 1809)

Default Re: [Proposal]Change Unit's Name

That is a great idea. Idk how hard it would be to implement, but shortening a name like: "Legio VI Victrix Pia Fidelis Constans Hispaniensis Brittanica First", to "VI Legion" would definitely be a nice thing in my book.

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

COOL idea!
    "third cohort of fourth legion"
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Ayyubid's Avatar Tiro

Would any of you happen to know how to change the unit names of units and how the names appear in the game, in general? For example, from "Hashashim" to "Assassiyoon" or "desert archers" to "arab archers"? Also, for the "christian guard", I wanted to change it to "Iberian Heavy Infantry".

Any help would be very appreciated.
    "I have fought in more than 100 battle . Do you see a space of the span of a hand on my leg, chest, arm which is not covered by some scar of the wound of a sword or an arrow or a lance? And here I am, dying in my bed, like cattle die. May the eyes of cowards never sleep."

- Khalib Ibn Waleed

I don't think that it's possible to rename a unit during a campaign. I've never seen such an option. Only renaming a city. It only works if you edited the EDU, but for every campaign when it's 0 turn.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Ayyubid View Post
    Also, for the "christian guard", I wanted to change it to "Iberian Heavy Infantry".
    There's a unit named that in RSII?

Quote Originally Posted by Ayyubid View Post
    Would any of you happen to know how to change the unit names of units and how the names appear in the game, in general? For example, from "Hashashim" to "Assassiyoon" or "desert archers" to "arab archers"? Also, for the "christian guard", I wanted to change it to "Iberian Heavy Infantry".

Any help would be very appreciated.
    edit the Export units file in Rome - Total War Gold Edition\(whatever faction)\data\text folder. find the unit the unit you want to rename.

Example:

{barb_slinger} Barbarian Slinger <----- Change this to whatever you want to be in game.

{barb_slinger_descr}
    Slingers are a low cost, but very effective unit to have around. They wear no armour and carry a short sword and a small leather bag full of stones. Of all Celtic troops that are sent to battle, the slinger ranks among those that should never engage in melee unless absolutely needed. They can successfully melee with other slingers and archers, but little else. Their low equipment costs and ready availability of their favorite weapon, a smooth stone, provides the tribes with low cost troops that can kill enemies from a much greater distance than skirmishers and are found in all Gallic settlements. They are twice as deadly if they can quickly reach positions behind the lines of their enemies where the protection of armour, bones, and skulls are all much easier to breach.\nThe art of slinging is very old, and is considered one of the first missile weapons to be invented by ancient man. Sling stones can be found in every land imaginable. The equipment of a slinger is not at all impressive, and it does not need to be. They carry on them a combination of items that will kill a person as quick as a lethal sword, axe, or spear strike from a veteran warrior, only this time, the mortal wound can come from a simple commoner or poor tribal member. The impact of a well released stone at high speeds would not always bounce off of armour, but would dent and smash it. If the bullet found an unprotected part of a target, then the stone would fracture and shatter bones, skulls, teeth, and cause deep impact bruises and even internal bleeding in some cases.\nWhen a slinger's bullet is launched correctly, it's with a quiet hiss, and then they vanish, speeding towards their target. They are almost invisible at this point, and it's hard to detect their precise trajectory. Too many times has a group of soldiers had no idea they are targeted until its too late, and several members of their regiment are dead on the ground and another volley of bullets already flying their way.\nThe Celtic tribes had slingers aplenty in oppida warfare and sieges, where the slingers would position themselves above the wall on the ramparts, and send deadly stones down to the victims below. To be a Gaul and a slinger was not the most glorious profession to acquire skills in. Many looked at ranged warfare as womanly and unmanly since you wouldn't experience honorable close combat. Unlike the archer, Celtic slingers use a shield for protection while they are managing the sling with the other hand. They also carry a short sword for emergencies when they are needed.

{barb_slinger_descr_short}
    Slingers are a low cost, but very effective unit to have around.
    "To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true" ~ Aristotle