Thread: Time

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Default Time

This thing of nature puzzled me much time. There are many times when I wish for a Time Machine, to go back in time and repeat a thing I liked very very much, for example Christmas.

So, let's have a discussion about time.

Why do you think time cannot be turned?!

What will happen if the Earth revolves backward?!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

LSJ's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Pondering upon the subject of time is riding on a path to a headache. It is all too confusing. If you go back in time with a time machine and change anything in history, you will have changed nothing. Because in history the man that you wanted to go back in time to kill, as soon as you go back in time, will have died by your hands when you used the machine. Because in history, the man from the future would have came and done what he did, but only so after that man were to build his machine and use it. But how does that work for everyone else? If a person that greatly changed history were to be killed, what would happen to us in the present? It is very confusing.
    And then there is time relativity, where time is different depending where you are. If you are in orbit around a sun, you may age 80 years, whilst your family aged 10 years on Earth. You would not know how long it was for them until you went back. That is a strange concept. If time speeds can be different in different areas of infinite space, might it be possible to go to an area that is fast and train for a sport and come back one year older, while everyone else aged a day, and suddenly you are a master.
    Then if that is possible, we may stretch it into time travel backward, where you go through a plane that warps time, such as black holes, where antimatter is somehow reshaped, even though it has no form. It is such a strange concept that it is almost incomprehensible to me even though I discuss it! Mr Hawking makes theories, but there is no support to them, and talking about things we have no clue about does not make progress. The idea of time somehow being slowed down and sped up is very interesting, because how can something with no form be moulded in any way? Time to theorize!

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Interesting theory....

Maybe I'm too sleepy to understand all of the words. I'ts 2.a.m, and I am in a car, travelling in the middle of the first day of 2006.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Darth Wong's Avatar Pit Bull

Quote Originally Posted by DarkProph13
    And then there is time relativity, where time is different depending where you are.
    Actually, time dilates depending on how fast you are going, not where you are.
    Then if that is possible, we may stretch it into time travel backward, where you go through a plane that warps time, such as black holes, where antimatter is somehow reshaped, even though it has no form.
    You're seriously distorting these principles. Time dilation does not lead to backward time travel; it is asymptotic to zero. Antimatter has form. And you cannot go "through" a black hole; a black hole is a dead end.
    Mr Hawking makes theories, but there is no support to them, and talking about things we have no clue about does not make progress.
    Mr. Hawking's basic theory of black hole radiation is fairly well-accepted because it is a natural prediction of quantum mechanics, which HAS been validated.
    The idea of time somehow being slowed down and sped up is very interesting, because how can something with no form be moulded in any way? Time to theorize!
    Time dilation has been experimentally verified.

Yes, I have a life outside the Internet and Rome Total War
    "Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions" - Stephen Colbert
    Under the kind patronage of Seleukos

time is one heavy deep subject, lol.

Actually, time dilates depending on how fast you are going, not where you are.
    Its interesting how they proved this as scientific fact as well. The US Air Force put two clocks, one on the ground and one on a supersonic aircraft. These clocks were 100% sycronized, and they repeated the test, and the clocks were quite a few seconds off of eachother after a some hours (not sure how many).

Due to this problem thats why I always believe that the best sci-fi that reprsents the actual future of space travel is show in that old show Babylon 5. Worm holes are the only logical way, unless we discover something i can't even think of.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

LSJ's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Time is very difficult to study because you are studying nothingness because it has no form, beginning or end. It is an entity - just *there*. It doesn't really exist does it? We try to measure time as though it is linear. What is it? We don't know if our entire concept of time is completely misguided or not. this is something I will never even try to read about, because it is philosophy without base, for me at least.
    I have noticed that half of the people on television talk as though they are geniuses but make so many errors that what they say misguides people who don't study it, however you study it anyway.

The best way to keep a thread alive is to make people argue a bit so they research, or give us information so we can learn. *I didn't say that.

Time is very difficult to study because you are studying nothingness because it has no form, beginning or end. It is an entity - just *there*. It doesn't really exist does it?
    Time is a dimension of spacetime and its properties can be predicted via equations that I have posted on this forum in the past. I don't see why you need something to have tangible form in order to know that it exists. A gravitational field has no discrete end; it theoretically extends to infinity; does this mean it doesn't exist? For us to know that something exists, we need only be able to empirically observe its properties.
    We try to measure time as though it is linear.
    On the contrary, we know from the theory of relativity and related experiments that it is not linear.
    What is it?
    Time is a basic concept, like force or length, which is difficult to define without resorting to circular definitions. Let's just say that it is a property of the universe: a dimension of spacetime which has the characteristics of being a vector that goes in the direction of thermodynamically irreversible processes.
    We don't know if our entire concept of time is completely misguided or not. this is something I will never even try to read about, because it is philosophy without base, for me at least.
    The fact that you don't personally understand it doesn't mean that the scientific concept of time is without base.
    I have noticed that half of the people on television talk as though they are geniuses but make so many errors that what they say misguides people who don't study it, however you study it anyway.
    That comment is a bit ironic considering you made a pretty serious mistake yourself when you tried to describe the concept of time dilation earlier, isn't it?

"Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions" - Stephen Colbert

I'll say one thing, you can probably trust what Hawking says, heh. Hes like the Einstein of our times. Of course their are many things that even he wont know, as hes only human.

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

Hehe I got his "Brief History of Time" for Christmas- I'll have to have a read!

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

I think time is entirely metaphysical, purely on the basis that A series time is not consistent. McTaggart's paradox could be interpreted to give time as a relative thing before a patent clerk got curious.
    Under the patronage of Wilpuri;
    Despotic master of ZaPPPa and Rowan11088.

Rolanbek's Avatar Malevolent Revenent
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Wong
    Time is a dimension of spacetime and its properties can be predicted via equations that I have posted on this forum in the past. I don't see why you need something to have tangible form in order to know that it exists. A gravitational field has no discrete end; it theoretically extends to infinity; does this mean it doesn't exist? For us to know that something exists, we need only be able to empirically observe its properties.
    While i agree, observation only demonstrates the existance of 'something' and our current space time model is the best explaination we have come up with.

On the contrary, we know from the theory of relativity and related experiments that it is not linear.
    true.

I would just like to add to darth's, rather groovy, definition.

Time is a basic concept, like force or length, which is difficult to define without resorting to circular definitions. Let's just say that it is a property of the universe: a dimension of spacetime which has the characteristics of being a vector that goes in the direction of thermodynamically irreversible processes.
    Time is also an explaination as to why all events do not occur Simultaneously. It allows us to deliniate between past events an current ones.

Then if that is possible, we may stretch it into time travel backward, where you go through a plane that warps time, such as black holes, where antimatter is somehow reshaped, even though it has no form.
    Time travel is impossible according to our current models, the maths shows that time tends toward (is asymptotic to) zero. (edit sorry darth you got there first...)

Black holes are simply regions of space where escape velocity from the region is greater than the speed of light. At the point where the escape velocity equals light speed (the schwartzchild radius) many interesting effect occur but none of the above.

R
    November 06, 2006 02:10 PM If I knew you were going to populate the Curia with cheapshots, you never would have gotten promoted. - Anon

Love mail from when Rep came with daggers to stab you...
    Join the Curia, loudmouths spewing bile for your entertainment.
    Contents:Sirloin of deceased Equine, your choice of hot or cold revenge, All served on a bed of barrel shavings. may contain nuts

a high school physics teacher explained to us once, just for the sake of conversation, how time travel is possible. now, i don't have all the fancy formulas and equations he had at the time, so i'll try to explain the best i can.

basically, thanks to einstein's theory of relativity, we now know (and NASA, other agencies etc, has done tests to show) that time and mass are relative to the speed you are going. the higher kinetic energy you have, the slower time is for you, and the more mass you have (mass equals energy, e=mc^2). now there's this fancy complicated equation that explains this, and as darth wong mentioned already, time is asymtopic to zero (approaches zero, but never reaches it) as your speed reaches the speed of light. so theoretically, if you reach infinite speed, time will cease to exist for you. the problem is, that it takes infinite energy to reach that speed because as your speed reaches the speed of light, your mass increases to infinity as well. given that time stops for you, you can theoretically travel to the future this way without aging, so as long as you can maintain your speed. the part that theorizes that you can travel backwards through time, is that the result of this fancy equation comes as the result of a square root, and of course, the square root of a number can be positive or negative. a negative result here implies travelling backwards through time. however, in the real world we know it's not possible.

the above probably isn't all correct but it's the gist of what he told our class

time seems to be a thing for potheads to aruge about to make others think they are smart, lo.

Rolanbek's Avatar Malevolent Revenent
    Citizen

It no big thing to time travel forwards, we do it irrespective of a our wishes in the matter.

Backwards, theres a different kettle of fish....

R
    November 06, 2006 02:10 PM If I knew you were going to populate the Curia with cheapshots, you never would have gotten promoted. - Anon

Love mail from when Rep came with daggers to stab you...
    Join the Curia, loudmouths spewing bile for your entertainment.
    Contents:Sirloin of deceased Equine, your choice of hot or cold revenge, All served on a bed of barrel shavings. may contain nuts

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I
    Why do you think time cannot be turned?!
    Who says is can't?

What will happen if the Earth revolves backward?!
    Toilet water will flush UP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric
    time seems to be a thing for potheads to aruge about to make others think they are smart, lo.
    Or alternatively, it might be a term used in innumerable physics and engineering formulae by people who are smart.