Thread: Rome TW (in every form) freezes, closes or crashes!

Default Rome TW (in every form) freezes, closes or crashes!

I have either one BIG problem or three big problems.

You see, my Rome TW
    1) freezes every now and then (have to press reset),
    2) closes (= quits to windows),
    3) crashes the whole system (like after pressing reset).

Yesterday I uninstalled the game, installed it and patched it to 1.2. Then I tried the new SPQR 5.0 mod. Everything was fine about 30 minutes. Then Greeks attacked my besieging army outskirts of Syracuse. The battle started. I placed my troops and it placed its. It marching with Peltasts towards my line of Hastati and Archers behind them. When they (Peltasts) were almost in range of my bows, the game crashed to windows.

I haven't tried to install
    1) Rome TW + BI + 1.6 patch,
    2) Rome TW + 1.3 patch + 1.5 patch.

Here are my specs:
    MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR (Socket-A)
    AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (FSB 333 MHz?)
    Sapphire Radeon X800 XL 256 Mb (AGP)
    3x512 DDR (333 MHz?)

I of course have hard drives and stuff like that.

I hope you can help me!

hmm try lowering the graphics detail and see if it still crashes. if they do then u should update ur vid card. i had the same prob.

Conan the Barbarian "All anyone will remember is that few stood against many!!!"

Most men complacently accept knowledge as truth. They are sheep ruled by fear

my game also freezes every now and then thus have to reset

Yesterday, I lowered the details and it seemed to work! That time I still had Rome TW 1.2 with SPQR 5.0 mod.

Big thanks for help.

Now, just a couple of minutes ago, I finished doing these things (in this order):
    1) Uninstalled Rome TW and deleted the directory
    2) Installed Rome TW 1.0
    3) Played through the Prologue
    4) Installed Rome TW BI 1.4 (upgrades Rome TW to 1.3)
    5) Installed the 1.6 patch (that upgrades Rome TW to 1.5 and BI to 1.6)

Now I'd like to know
    1) Is there already a way to fix these problems (apart from lowering details)
    2) What are the settings you guys (with these kind of problems) use in Rome TW & Rome TW BI?

i told u

update all ur drivers

Conan the Barbarian "All anyone will remember is that few stood against many!!!"

Most men complacently accept knowledge as truth. They are sheep ruled by fear

As far as I know, I already have the latest drivers in both video card and sound card (integrated). I also have the DirectX 9.0c. So, there should not be any problems in that matter.

i've had these freeses with lopping sounds a few time, not very often, normally after running the game for a long time. Sometimes you can get out of it by calling up the windows task manager, selecting processes and End Proces on the rome.exe as trying to End tast under Applications rearly works. I think its just down to the game running for too long. The game will CTD when it tries to do something and can't (ie acess some information that's not there).

Default Same weird crashes

I have a similar problem but only in my Julii campaign which is at 263 BC. I have a Scipii campaign (161 BC) going on the same computer and it works fine, but the Julii campaign will suddenly shut down the game and return to Windows at different points in the game. I have all the latest drivers, etc. DirectX 9.0c, patched to 1.5, etc. As I said it only does it in the Julii campaign. The Scipii game is actually a "save" from a previous install and the Julii game is a clean install. It's really annoying when you shell out all this money for a good computer and then the game has a lot of bugs.

Imperial Glory, Flight Sim 2 & 3, MTW, all play fine.

AMD 64 x2 3800+ (water Cooled)
    Win XP Pro sp2
    2 GB Corsair XMS pc3700
    74 GB Raptor
    320 GB WD HD (backup)
    2 x 7800GT's in SLi
    Enermax 535w PS
    Gigabyte Triton K8 mobo
    Audigy 2

Quote Originally Posted by theexbrit
    AMD 64 x2 3800+ (water Cooled)
    Win XP Pro sp2
    2 GB Corsair XMS pc3700
    74 GB Raptor
    320 GB WD HD (backup)
    2 x 7800GT's in SLi
    Enermax 535w PS
    Gigabyte Triton K8 mobo
    Audigy 2
    After looking at your specs, I don't think it CTD because lack of power, if you know what I mean... :wink:
    Perhaps some of your CPU's component(s) is/are not compatible with some component(s)? You know, that is kinda likely in my case because I've updated my CPU several times.

Currently I have Rome 1.5 and BI 1.6 installed as "ordered" here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38017

That didn't help much but lowering the amount of details did help.

I might say it works fine now. Of course, I have to look at crappy details (Rome TW looks awesome so it doesn't bother me). Couple of days ago I played Rome TW 1.5 over 2 hours in row. It crashed only once. That happened couple of minutes after saving and couple of minutes before I was gonna quit anyway.

Still, I sure hope that some day I will be able to increase details for my FPS is around 30-60.
    Last edited by iKossu; January 15, 2006 at 06:47 AM.

Default Re: Rome TW (in every form) freezes, closes or crashes!

Hey I have a problem similar to what you guys have... But what happens is that once i run Rome TW it will load for about 30 seconds then just freeze. I have to turn off my computer to unfreeze it, I cant Ctr-Alt-Del or anything. Anyway when i try it again it will load a little farther then it will freeze again and if their is noise it will continuously repeat it... i had a disk copy but i lost one of the disks a long time ago so i bought it again a couple a days ago and its been doing this ever since i got it. PLEASE HELP!

AlienWare M17x
    8192MB RAM
    3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7 processors
    Windows® 7 Home Premium,
    64bit,
    Up to 32GB * ,
    1600MHz memory performance boost
    Dual HDD options with boot,
    SSD and RAID drives

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

What do you have for a graphics card?
    Do you have sound on your computer enabled?
    Do you have any mods installed?
    Have you checked Windows' Event logs for a clue?

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    What do you have for a graphics card?
    Do you have sound on your computer enabled?
    Do you have any mods installed?
    Have you checked Windows' Event logs for a clue?

Im not quite sure what my graphics card is but it van run Arma 2 and 3 and garry's mod and plenty of other games just fine. I do have my sound enabled on my laptop and i dont have any mods installed, I have not checked the windows event logs

Disc or Steam or Feral?

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Disc or Steam or Feral?
    I bought it and downloaded it through steam

Have you tried to verify the game cache? http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic...-of-game-cache

I have verified the game cache and it still freezes my whole computer before i can even start playing the game, i just re-installed it and i got the same damn problem this is getting really annoying....

Logged in as Administrator?
    Disable the UAC?
    Install Steam anyplace besides Program Files (x86)?
    Take ownership of C: drive?
    Activated your copy of Win 7 and run Windows Update installing all software options?
    Install this http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=35 with the UAC disabled?