Thread: over whelmed by so many units

Default over whelmed by so many units

Playing in Grand American Campaign.

There are so many of the units available! I feel like I am confused to which ones I will build. Each town have 2-3 unique armies to recruit. How do you manage with all of them?

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: over whelmed by so many units

hehehehe!! thats my fault cause when I started modding there was no stopping me!! and of course the many other members who contributed there work to this brilliant mod

are the units different in stat or just colors?

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by templar_fan View Post
    everything, just download and play mate, you wont be disappointed!!

I am. But US Colonies is just too over whelming. I will play Morocco for now.

Libertus

many of them have the same stats, but many are also slightly different.

Imho, the only problem with so many units is the way the recruitment works in the game, it was never made for so many units, so it's tough to see wich one you are recruiting at times... But I like it anyway

flannk's Avatar Civis

The similarity between units also makes recruitment easier. There are roughly five categories: light infantry (late era), line soldiers, grenadiers, and skirmishers/irregulars. Composing your army with these categories in a smart manner makes a very good army. Exactly what regiments you recruit is not really fundamental in whether or not you will win the battle.

The different units add realism since in reality there were distinctive regiments. And some did really stand out from the rest which is, in my humble opinion, also immediately visible when looking at the basic stats. This adds some emotional attachment between the gamer and the virtual soldiers on the battlefield, in my experience. It's not that shocking to see a militia guy being shot down but when I loose a Northumberlander I get pissed off This attachment becomes more apparent after fighting multiple battles with that/those specific regiment(s).

You should not recruit by clicking on a General and going to its recruitment tab which can become VERY cluttered after obtaining advanced recruitment buildings in all of your cities. You should recruit by recruiting specific regiments from their home base (its easier to recruit there due to limits on recruitable regiments) and recruiting generic regiments nearest to their (upcoming) commander.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by flannk View Post
    You should not recruit by clicking on a General and going to its recruitment tab which can become VERY cluttered after obtaining advanced recruitment buildings in all of your cities. You should recruit by recruiting specific regiments from their home base (its easier to recruit there due to limits on recruitable regiments) and recruiting generic regiments nearest to their (upcoming) commander.
    yes, I discovered that after a little while. Not being American, most of these units didn't tell me a thing (I often have ot hit Wikipedia to learn who's who, Pulaski being an example ), and recruiting them via a general was insane. Recruiting a New-Jersey regiment while I was in South Carolina was not the brightest move I could do

It takes some getting used to. I just wish the recruiting system of the Total War engine was different, to allow easier modding & adding units.

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Quote Originally Posted by viper37 View Post
    yes, I discovered that after a little while. Not being American, most of these units didn't tell me a thing (I often have ot hit Wikipedia to learn who's who, Pulaski being an example ), and recruiting them via a general was insane. Recruiting a New-Jersey regiment while I was in South Carolina was not the brightest move I could do

It takes some getting used to. I just wish the recruiting system of the Total War engine was different, to allow easier modding & adding units.
    Itll be a slow learning process but very much worth it !

And maybe one day when we get the Modding Tools,...oh boy !

Welcome to the TAR forums Viper.

LawL_LawL's Avatar Ducenarius

Does this mod incorporate or bring any kind of combat modifications? If so Id love to try this.

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Yes it does;its a complete overhaul that includes Battlefield and Campaign AI modifications,including combat modifications as in revamped units statistics and sizes etc.

Just give it a try and welcome to the TAR forums!

Biarchus

Playing in Grand American Campaign.

There are so many of the units available! I feel like I am confused to which ones I will build. Each town have 2-3 unique armies to recruit. How do you manage with all of them?
    One thing i've tried is if it's an army in the south, then i only recruit southern units for it. Same for a northern army. Try different things, it might also help to write down which army has which units in it(that helps me a lot). I'm sure that the more you play this mod the more you will enjoy it. It is "in my opinion" the best mod for ETW!