Thread: Remove Fire-by-Rank

Default Remove Fire-by-Rank

Fire-by-rank is absolutely, positively, 100% useless. All it does is cause your men to take some 15 seconds to fire, causes lots of glitches with reloading, half the time they don't fire by rank anyway, and it causes many fewer casualties. Example:

220-man British volley without FbR on 300 American militia: 20-30 casualties.

With FbR: 8-15 casualties, for the entire set of 3 volleys.

Without: 17-24 casualties

With: 4-9 casualties

These two tests, along with others, prove, that undeniably, fire-by-rank is horrendously glitched up and is useless. It should be removed, or at least bar it from being researched.

LawL_LawL's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Remove Fire-by-Rank

Wait what? In all my time playing ETW, Vanilla or modded, FbR has been an advantageous tech and many others seem to think along this line. What I can say is the main advantage is when you fire normally, ie. without any firing pattern, your volleys slowly break up and lose steadiness as soldiers in line have misfires thus they end up firing a few seconds after the majority. As the volleying becomes less and less steady, the morale impact is weakened, hence an advantage with FbR as it keeps volleys cohesive and doesn't bother with waiting for misfiring men to discharge their weapons. Another advantage is rather than having one volley and then immediately reloading, your unit produces three volleys prior to loading, which in some mods is greatly advantageous because the "regimental load time" after firing all three volleys in FbR is a few seconds or less, unlike Vanilla which is horribly illogical and takes way too long. Furthermore the three volleys given in shorter time span can be decisive if you fire all three volleys and charge immediately afterwards on an enemy who should have already suffered a morale shock from decent # of casualties.

Also, Vanilla is garbage and anything that doesn't actually change the way the combat functions and basics around it but rather adds new units and/or factions or modifies existing ones should seek to do so immediately. Furthermore I just can't see how "Proud to NOT be a user of Darthmod." is a reasonable statement, its an extremely well made mod that seems to have taken more effort to make than Vanilla Empire because frankly, its better in every aspect I've been able to witness so far about it and Vanilla.
    Last edited by LawL_LawL; December 13, 2010 at 08:59 PM.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Hmm... I too find the "proud not to be a darth mod use" very insulting especially to a team of dedicated misdeed like darth and his team to make empire total war much better in respect to the AI/CAI!!! They have certainly made a 100% difference to the game with there input.

Enough said.... If this thread becomes a debate on this I will leave open fir constructive critics only

While I have noticed what appeared to be fewer casualties at first, FbR does seem to have a direct impact on how quickly an enemy unit will break. I did not see any glitching due to FbR, though they are typicaly slower to get the first shot off; also once a unit is routing the unit with FbR will stop shooting at them which is annoying.