Page 91 of 232 FirstFirst ... 416681828384858687888990919293949596979899100101116141191 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 4625

Thread: [Update 2019/08/11 V 5.6!] The Historical Units Region Buildings Mod! (6 New Factions/ Units/ Map / Buildings)

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: [beta 3.1!] The Historical Units Region Buildings Mod! (New Faction)

Quote Originally Posted by Jambat View Post
    Ok, have put in about forty total turns now. (Combined with a little Norway and France), and some thoughts:

* I actually like having to completely re-do the recruiting system when I take over a town. It makes sense, and even though it takes a few turns and costs a couple of grand, you do get a bunch of rewards and units that you can recruit out of it. However, like AOR, I think it would be kind of neat to have a miniature-building of the same sort you can build that gives you access to a very limited range of the other factions units (Perhaps only capable of being built at certain town sizes). If I'm England and I take over Leon, then it makes sense I'm going to set up an English government and train English warriors, but it would be nice to be able to have a few Leonise holdovers who keep with the old traditions.

*Speaking of Iberia, the Moors are on crack. Seriously. Two campaigns of around 20 turns each so far testing things out, and both times the Moors have dominated everyone around them.

*The map really does help balance things out for the most part. Many of the smaller factions were able to expand out and snap up a few territories when in normal SS they usually don't have the chance. The ERE lands are a good example as Hungary, Seljuks, and the Crusaders managed to get a few pieces of the new unclaimed Roman lands. The ERE is number one in just about every statistic still, but it's a narrow lead that they realistically could lose, unlike vanilla where they are 2-3x stronger. Big fan of the map, and the expansion that goes along with it.

*I do think some units may need to be spaced out a little bit. Take France for example: Perhaps they start off with Miles (foot and mounted), and they gain the ability to recruit the Chevaliers after they construct a few buildings. (Say, some sort of metalworker, adding in a stables for the mounted version.) I really enjoy the variety of options you get starting at 1100, but there seem to be a few obsolete versions in there that once you have a decent amount of land-mass, you never need to train them, and from what I can see you don't really progress your military in any way from Turn One.

*Speaking of which, training. It could probably be tweaked a little bit. Some units have really deep timers, so it keeps me away from spamming them - like Crossbows. I can probably get about 8ish total units of crossbows right now with what I already have, and if I train up everything. Not bad at all with all of France under my control. But then there are things like the Chevaliers and the Foot Knights, I can literally make entire, multiple armies out of how easy it is to recruit these things. Hell, I was able to make 7 or 8 of them in one turn (yes, it did cost a lot, but unlike Norway, France swims in money) just in the provinces outside Caen, so I could go beat the hell out of [Caen] in the next turn. Paris itself can crank out a monster in one turn if it wants too.

*Just a question I am sure has been asked before, but this thread is long...What do Castles give that Cities don't? Right now it seems like anything you can do or get in a Castle you can get from a city.

*Was the decision to give so many free upkeeps a way to try to keep larger NPC forces inside their cities? I'm not complaining, I like it, and I haven't gone after a town with a small garrison yet, it just surprised me how many free troopers I could keep going.

Anyways, that's it for now. Don't take this as a 'I played your mod, let me tell you how it sucks..', I actually really like this and think it could become a mainstream thing for me. A ton of potential, a lot of fun...
    Hi:

AOR is actually built in there, at least I think it was.. I need to check again but you can play the Crusader States a bit and you should get an idea, though obviously again, as you probably can see due to the massive overhaul of recruitment consistentcy is not always there

Crossbows replenish rate can be upgraded if you built some of the crafts building... namely the ballista ranges. it's kinda a way to balance crossbows spams a bit and also somewhat logical given that they require a bit more manpower and technology to build. (ballista towers now also need... well Ballista shops )

Yeah Moors is probably too strong right now, a few changes would help, I added the Galicia region (Santiago de Compestela) to the map in the upcomming version which give the Iberians another province, and I'll try to figure out a way so that rebels are a bit more of a problem for the Moors (which was historically accurate, they spent most of their time trying to hold together North Africa with Andalusia.)
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Jambat's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: [beta 3.1!] The Historical Units Region Buildings Mod! (New Faction)

AOR is actually built in there, at least I think it was..

You are correct. I ~moved a character out into the Holy Lands and auto won a battle, and the fiefdom showed up with alternate options. I suppose I simply had not conquered a 'foreign' enough land yet.

Crossbows replenish rate can be upgraded if you built some of the crafts building...

Oh no, I wasn't saying crossbows were too low, I was saying some elite troops are just too high. You can just spam the best of the best incredibly early in the game if you have the money for it.

Yeah Moors is probably too strong right now, a few changes would help,

OK, that will be cool to check out. I like that the muslim factions are a lot stronger now, but the Moors were just smoking Iberia in no time flat.

Two more suggestions if you don't mind and then I'll go back to bug-hunting (and imaginaning incorrect bugs! ;P)-

*Can we get the Eastern Roman Empire or Roman Empire instead of the Byzantine Empire title? It's just one of those little things...

*The Kingdom of Heaven mod, any chance we could get those skins for the Crusader States? I saw that the mod owner was finally back, and I've always been in love with the look of those models. I know you are probably a little stretched thin, but I don't mind helping out (if people will point me in the right direction ;P)

Keep up the good work though. I think I'm more excited to see a finalized version of this than SS7.0.
    I see the better and approve; I follow the worse.

If you liked my post or thought I was helpful, hit that +rep and leave your name so I can keep an eye out for when you deserve some. Unless you suck. Then you aren't getting crap. Ever.

On titles : yeah that's easily doable, it's only a matter of alternating textfiles slightly, that's actually one of the easiest things to do, which is part of the reason I havn't quiiite gotten to those details yet

KOH skins: definately doable, as long as he's willing to let other folks use his stuff. I keep an eye out for good skins to be sure, but obviously actually having enough time to implement them is a bit more time consuming.

On elite troops' spamability: that's something I'm contemplating, the elite troops DO have lower avalibiitiy, the problem is really that you start with 1 of them recruitable, and because you have so many other units to recruit you usually have another elite one by the time you have the money / need for them anyway. the way around it is to start with 0 recruitable, but that would mean you'd wait for an additional 8-10 turns before you can even get your first, which seems to be over the top as well. I think there's a script around it (whatever they used in longer assimilation, i'll have to check) though, so that your starting areas can start with 1 but new areas start with 0 etc

Map adjustments I've made so far for the next version (massive credits to FP and Ravent's work on their map)

1.Merged Bulgar and Kazan into Bulgher

2.Merged Sardinia and Corsica

3.Added Galicia (Santiago de Compestela)

4.Added Aachen

5.Moved Hanover to Erfurt, which was more representitive in that period and represent a more specific region.

I'll probably do a few more renaming and slight moving around of settlements based on FP's map, it won't be a completely mirror but a lot of the stuff in there are very worth noting and did a better job of research than my older version on some areas.

Some obvious errors that I'm fixing so far.

1.Abbasids couldn't build additional Elite barracks.
    2.Turks didn't have the Sultan's guard unit.
    3.UI cards placed in wrong folder
    4.the latest version seem to have some error in terms of buildings, the Pyramid is missing from Cairo for example. will take a look.
    5. fix textual problems.

I have the next 4 days off, so I'll probably make considerable progress.
    Last edited by RollingWave; February 24, 2012 at 12:20 AM.
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Jambat's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by RollingWave View Post
    ...but obviously actually having enough time to implement them is a bit more time consuming.

...Some obvious errors that I'm fixing so far.
    Can you give me a link to the tutorial for that? I know there is a modding workshop, but I figured you may be able to point me to the right thread. I don't mind learning and helping out, I just don't know where Point A is.

And can you look at Norway's Norse building when you get a chance? It shows Ritter as an available unit for construction, yet they don't show up in my recruitment browser at all. I started a Danemark game to check their Norse settlement and their Ritters showed up.

Edit: And I keep crashing with the Abba's on around Turn 5.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    14:04:43.582 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/egypt/Abid_Spearmen_info.tga
    14:04:43.583 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/merc/Bedouin_Infantry_info.tga
    14:04:43.586 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/merc/ME_Spear_Militia_info.tga
    14:04:43.587 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/merc/Bedouin_Infantry_info.tga
    14:04:43.823 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/merc/Highland_Skrimishers_info.tga
    14:04:49.107 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/cumans/Dismounted_Chabani_Baghatur_info.tga
    14:04:49.107 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/cumans/Bek_Baghatur_info.tga
    14:05:28.247 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/merc/Dismounted_Bey_info.tga
    14:05:28.247 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/merc/Arab_Cavalry_info.tga
    14:05:29.170 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/merc/Crossbowmen_info.tga
    14:05:31.731 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/merc/Crossbowmen_info.tga
    14:05:32.742 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/england/Norman_Knights_info.tga
    14:05:35.105 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/poland/Druzhina_info.tga
    14:05:42.581 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/merc/Berber_Infantry_info.tga
    14:05:42.582 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/merc/Dismounted_Shaykh_info.tga
    14:05:42.583 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/moors/Murabitun_Cavalry_info.tga
    14:05:42.584 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/merc/Berber_Infantry_info.tga
    14:05:42.585 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/merc/ME_Spear_Militia_info.tga
    14:05:42.586 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/merc/Arab_Cavalry_info.tga
    14:05:42.588 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/moors/Turkish_Crossbowmen_info.tga
    14:05:42.592 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/moors/Murabitun_Cavalry_info.tga
    14:05:45.199 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/merc/Steppe_Nobles_info.tga
    14:05:45.200 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/merc/EE_Auxilliary_Swordsmen_info.tga
    14:05:46.525 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit card data/ui/units/spain/#Vilan_Knights.tga
    14:05:46.526 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/spain/Vilan_Knights_info.tga
    14:05:46.528 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit card data/ui/units/spain/#Vilan_Knights.tga
    14:05:46.528 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/spain/Vilan_Knights_info.tga
    14:05:46.529 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit card data/ui/units/spain/#Vilan_Knights.tga
    14:05:46.529 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/spain/Vilan_Knights_info.tga
    14:05:54.459 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/merc/EE_Auxilliary_Swordsmen_info.tga
    14:05:55.490 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/norway/Huskarlar_info.tga
    14:05:58.991 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/merc/Persian_Axemen_info.tga
    14:05:58.992 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/merc/Dismounted_Bey_info.tga
    14:05:58.993 [data.missing] [warning] Missing unit image data/ui/unit_info/merc/Arab_Cavalry_info.tga
    14:06:14.467 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga.dds is missing
    14:06:14.472 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/loading_screen/loading_logo.tga.dds is missing
    14:06:16.207 [system.io] [warning] open: data/models_effects/building_fire_glow.cas is missing
    14:06:16.223 [system.io] [warning] open: data/models_engine/heavy_onager_torches.cas is missing
    14:06:16.721 [system.io] [warning] open: data/models_effects/textures/siege_rocket_la_steel.texture is missing
    14:06:16.734 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga.dds is missing
    14:06:23.497 [system.io] [warning] open: data/descr_fire_texture_list.txt is missing
    14:06:24.131 [system.io] [warning] open: data/textures/#al_outline.tga.dds is missing
    14:06:24.140 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/text/prebattle_speeches_subtitles.txt.strings.bin is missing
    14:06:24.167 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/text/prebattle_speeches_subtitles.txt is missing
    14:06:24.212 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/text/battle_event_subtitles.txt.strings.bin is missing
    14:06:24.232 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/text/battle_event_subtitles.txt is missing
    14:06:24.241 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/text/historic_battles_subtitles.txt.strings.bin is missing
    14:06:24.244 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/text/historic_battles_subtitles.txt is missing
    14:06:24.464 [system.io] [warning] open: data/unit_models/AttachmentSets/abbasid_me_swordsmen_attach_diff.texture is missing
    14:06:24.464 [system.io] [warning] open: data/unit_models/AttachmentSets/abbasid_me_swordsmen_attach_norm.texture is missing
    14:06:24.962 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Oh, and I play on Steam, so I have to rename the SS folder to Americas to trick the stupid thing into allowing me to play. Hence Americas instead of SS6.3 as the folder name.
    Last edited by Jambat; February 24, 2012 at 04:13 PM.
    I see the better and approve; I follow the worse.

If you liked my post or thought I was helpful, hit that +rep and leave your name so I can keep an eye out for when you deserve some. Unless you suck. Then you aren't getting crap. Ever.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Moor Centric mod will naturally have very strong Moors.

A few bugs I've gotten. Cardinals always get the antipope notification even when not excommunicated. It doesn't actually show up though you just get the message. Papal standing deteriorates rapidly. Like from 9 crosses to 1 cross in maybe 10-15 turns without me doing anything at all. The AI doesn't know how to spend money or make money it seems. They're always bankrupt.

"In a man to man fight the winner is he with one more bullet in his clip."
    - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

"Suffer not the Witch to live, nor the Heretic to spread his lies!"

@jambat:

I'm not sure what's up with that to be honest since I'm not too familiar with steam version of M2TW, the error seem to suggest pathing issue, are you crashing during battle or just end turn?

As for how to implement unit, it depend on how you want to do it, the short version is .. look in the battle_models.modeldb file (under data/unit_models) to see which mesh and texture file the unit is using, if your not sure what the unit's name is look int the Export_descr_unit which controls what model the unit is using, that along with the textfile export_unit is essentially the 3 files you need to get a unit into the game, to build it add it to export_descr_building

@cathedralsquares
    I'm not really sure what's causing this but i'll have a look in the scripts, it's been meantioned a few times yes. The scripts are a complexed mess to be honest, it's hard to make sure every aspect of charactor trait / ancilliary / scripts that are often all effected by the unit / region / building changes... I think I know why the Mongols aren't showing up in a lot of folk's game now, because I changed a lot of the Persian settlment's name so the scripts can find the proper counter. oops but sorting all this out is a nightmare, eek
    Last edited by RollingWave; February 25, 2012 at 05:37 AM.

Ok, making some pretty serious progress in addressing a lot of the stuff, here's a look at the new settlement (Santiago de Compestela) with it's new unquie building, the Cathedral of St.James.

Looking good!
    (Also see you have the same issue with the ERROR part of the mini-map. Any thoughts on it's cause?)

I didn't have it until I started to tinker with the scripts again, I'll try to sort it out ... I hope.

Nice work RW- I've been trying to decide how to reflect pilgrim routes as many rulers gained a large amount of money from the tolls and taxes on the inns and supplies along the routes as well as some prestige from protecting pilgrims from bandits etc.

SoulBlade's Avatar Vicarius

I think the error in the mini-map is caused by the watchtowers mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Roman View Post
    Satan works in cunning way to keep us away of god. Sciene is the religion of Satan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes. View Post
    TWC is ruining my abilty to have an erection
    Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Regarding the Irish, if its between them and the Timurids:
    Irish: ran around bogs and forests munching on potatoes
    Timurids: slaughtered millions and threw empires into terror
    OK I'm not sure the Irish had potatoes in medieval times but that still doesn't tip things in their favour
    When in doubt, say - Trve Norsk Blækk Mettal

a

// [Last.fm][/SPOILER]
    Play Supremacy 1914, the free real-time strategy online games and the Browsergame of the Year 2009!

[SPOILER]

Supremacy1914 - the best MMO

Spoiler for Dangerous stuff
    Code:
    Signature stock:  

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlade View Post
    I think the error in the mini-map is caused by the watchtowers mod.
    I seem to have read something regarding that too - though I've only ever seen it in HURB.

Quote Originally Posted by PerXX View Post
    I seem to have read something regarding that too - though I've only ever seen it in HURB.
    I moved a ton of stuff around which means there's the liklihood of some resource being stuck at a unaccessable location and such... which might be the problem.

I think i'll add a named charactor there (Raymond of Burgundy) and a slightly tougher garrison so that it's not a total cake walk for either Iberian factions, but the UI cards came along well enough.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I see "Catherdal" in the description, and shouldn't the settlement be "Compostela", not "Compestela"?

ok, will fix those.

As for how to keep the Moors more in check, I think first off I'll remove Murcia from their starting possesion, which should help at least a little bit, and probably try to see how I can make rebellions more of a realistic problem for them. I'll see if I can make rebels a bit more agressive in general. so you can't just leave a unit of militia at a back town and never expect any problems.

Also, I'm experimenting with a way to deal with crusade / jihads being too big of a factor, mostly that I'm taking away the crusade / jihad tags from most of the biggest or important cities (Cordoba / Frankfurt / Constaninople / Cairo / Baghdad / Vilnus etc) so you can' just directly crusade into them, but nearby cities are open targets (so for example, while Cairo is no longer a permenant crusade target, Alexandria and Dalmitta and Gaza still is.) . however places like Jerusalem while no longer a permenent Jihad target, is still a permenent crusade target (given that it's unlikely the pope will call one on the Crusader states, it's setup so that if those center are lost to the opposing faiths it's likely that a crusade / jihad will come to try and recover it, jihad is a bit more tricky however if you call it on a fellow islamic nation taht's one less islamic states that can join you right off the bat, it's not quite the same as 10+ factions comming at you all at the same time, especially considering that most islamic factions tend to have some cross alliance, the effect of a Jihad on fellow islamic faction simply isn't the same as a Crusade.)
    Last edited by RollingWave; February 27, 2012 at 01:54 AM.

There is just so much excellent content with all the SS submods, and very much this submod, I find myself wishing we could just throw it all in a blender and take out the best of it as a single complete package.

Overlord.ru's Avatar Centenarius
    Russian Federation, Moscow Region, Town of Electrostal

There is just so much excellent content with all the SS submods, and very much this submod, I find myself wishing we could just throw it all in a blender and take out the best of it as a single complete package.
    Amen.

I suppose I can make mine work with most of the smaller submods with some time... though BGR might take an exceptionally long time since i really need to understand it's complex script .

I'm actually fairly close to finishing a small version now.. all I need to do is to fix whatever's wrong with the script. the general changes I'm made.

1.region adjustments as meantioned earlier

2.fixed the antipope comming up all the time bug, and made antipope more of a chance thing instead of a 100% thing.

3. nerfed down heretic a bit via the weaken heretic mod

4. reinstated the bulgarian rebellion script

5. added a almohad rebellion script in the same vain as the bulgarian to check the Moors.

6. checked to make sure all factions start with at least 1 diplomat. also changed the starting army a bit for some factions .

7. Crusade / Jihad towards easily faction destroying targets are now much less likely.

8. nerfed down starting unit pool, hopefully slowing down the game a bit.
    Last edited by RollingWave; February 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM.