Thread: [Update 2019/08/11 V 5.6!] The Historical Units Region Buildings Mod! (6 New Factions/ Units/ Map / Buildings)

beermugcarl's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: [V 4.2!] The Historical Units Region Buildings Mod! (2 New Factions/ Units/ Map / Buildings) Update 4/23

yes checking the log shows this - 15:41:16.720 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 4282, column 95
    Character 'Heinrich' is too young to be a named character at age 14

so just go to db and change it to 14 - it should like this but see the highlighted red bits
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    <family_tree>
    <max_age uint="85"/>
    <max_age_for_marriage_for_male uint="65"/>
    <max_age_for_marriage_for_female uint="50"/>
    <max_age_before_death uint="90"/>
    <max_age_of_child uint="14"/>
    <old_age uint="55"/>
    <age_of_manhood uint="14" />
    <daughters_age_of_consent uint="12"/>
    <daughters_retirement_age uint="50"/>
    <age_difference_min int="-15"/>
    <age_difference_max int="40"/>
    <parent_to_child_min_age_diff uint="13"/>
    <min_adoption_age uint="16"/>
    <max_adoption_age uint="22"/>
    <max_age_for_conception uint="55"/>
    <age_of_manhood_close uint="16"/>
    <max_number_of_children uint="4"/>
    </family_tree>

Default Re: [V 4.2!] The Historical Units Region Buildings Mod! (2 New Factions/ Units/ Map / Buildings) Update 4/23

^wut? which file?

is it save game compatible btw?
    Last edited by napoleonic; May 27, 2012 at 08:50 AM.

descr_campaign_db.xml

and the changes wont be compatible but it wont ruin the save game

thanks a lot

I can create disadvantages for human to join Crusade but no way to stop the dozen or more AI from joining and sending 1.5 armies each. I be only seen 2 unsuccessful Crusades against AI when in reality half or more were unsuccessful.

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    I can create disadvantages for human to join Crusade but no way to stop the dozen or more AI from joining and sending 1.5 armies each. I be only seen 2 unsuccessful Crusades against AI when in reality half or more were unsuccessful.
    Yeah, out of all the crusades to the middle east only the first one was an undisputed success, with the rest either being outright failures or only modest success (like the 3rd Crusade being able ot salvage a little bit of the disastor after Hattin, and the 6th being able to nominally restore Jerusalem for awhile.) Northern Crusades were more successful as awhole though.

I guess one of the key factor we can test is toning down the movement range bonus the game gives crusade armies, I'm fairly sure that is adjustable though i'll have to confirm, at least it give a greater time for the target faction to prepare and maybe offer some more seperation between arrivalible.
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Quote Originally Posted by RollingWave View Post
    Yeah, out of all the crusades to the middle east only the first one was an undisputed success, with the rest either being outright failures or only modest success (like the 3rd Crusade being able ot salvage a little bit of the disastor after Hattin, and the 6th being able to nominally restore Jerusalem for awhile.) Northern Crusades were more successful as awhole though.

I guess one of the key factor we can test is toning down the movement range bonus the game gives crusade armies, I'm fairly sure that is adjustable though i'll have to confirm, at least it give a greater time for the target faction to prepare and maybe offer some more seperation between arrivalible.
    There were successful Crusades to Spain some other regions but overall results of Crusades after the 1st were very mixed.

I wouldn't want to tone down Crusade movement since that would stick the factions that have former Crusading armies with large upkeep amounts without being able to use them. The result I am looking for is less Crusades or less factions joining Crusade. So far it seems the only thing to do is limit Crusade targets and make joining a Crusade very expensive so players don't abuse them. Crusades are called less frequently when left up to the AI but still too common compared to history especially with nearly 100% of Catholic factions always joining. Is there a way to script that blocks some factions from joining Crusade? Then maybe could make it only factions not already at war(except with slave) can join.

well crusade army have 0 upkeep anyway so there's no real penalty until after it ends anyway, yeah everyone joining is rather stupid, then again in reality actually quite a bit of factions joined per say it's just that they usually head at different targets and not the same onces (for example the Iberians took advantage of the 2nd Crusade and went after some Moorish targets, the bigges being Lisbon.
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

can't you simply script the crusade target to spawn strong garrison?

Quote Originally Posted by napoleonic View Post
    can't you simply script the crusade target to spawn strong garrison?
    no, unless you plan on writing one for each region AND each faction (aka 29x199). spawn army must designate a spot to spawn. so this is not very plausible. though I guess you could do a garrison script for some of the most likely crusade targets / faction combination I guess (Damascus / Cairo / Baghdad etc) but even then your unlikely to spawn an army big enugh to really stop 10+ full stacks comming down on you.
    Last edited by RollingWave; May 28, 2012 at 03:43 AM.

how about a crusade tax script. real easy, pretty sure that byg has it?
    but anyway when a crusade is called it costs you a fee relative to the amount of settlements you own. starting at 150 getting to 2000 ( per turn)
    and if you join the crusade then it hurts you even more financially, have it 3000 to join and then also make the tax double so 300 to 4000

the idea is it makes you want to take the target as well as it kind of represents army cost. however joining is a gamble, especially if you are a small nation.

if you could just turn off the free upkeep for units then all would be swell.

in the factions standings you can make it so that if your not at the crusade target in time then the pope gets grumpy real fast (not too sure on this one?) i think it might be a trigger via a trait actually....

also if a crusade is against you (this one is entirely hypothetical while the rest i know are possible) you could have the opposite of a crusade tax, more upkeep units via a trait perhaps?

that soughts out players manipulating...well that and a mindset not to take more than one other city on the way
    but ai factions joining appears to be an inevitability unless you freeze there diplomacy against allies..but even then im pretty sure most will attack

okay, old bug come back again, apparently AI crusades resulted in nations declared war against the roman... thy shall not pass roman land apparently...

Quote Originally Posted by RollingWave View Post
    an army big enugh to really stop 10+ full stacks comming down on you.
    That really is the main problem with the Crusades feature, because in the real world, they all operated on 'shoestring' logistics.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by beermugcarl View Post
    but anyway when a crusade is called it costs you a fee relative to the amount of settlements you own. starting at 150 getting to 2000 ( per turn)
    and if you join the crusade then it hurts you even more financially, have it 3000 to join and then also make the tax double so 300 to 4000

the idea is it makes you want to take the target as well as it kind of represents army cost. however joining is a gamble, especially if you are a small nation.

in the factions standings you can make it so that if your not at the crusade target in time then the pope gets grumpy real fast (not too sure on this one?) i think it might be a trigger via a trait actually....

also if a crusade is against you (this one is entirely hypothetical while the rest i know are possible) you could have the opposite of a crusade tax, more upkeep units via a trait perhaps?

that soughts out players manipulating...well that and a mindset not to take more than one other city on the way
    but ai factions joining appears to be an inevitability unless you freeze there diplomacy against allies..but even then im pretty sure most will attack
    I am not nearly as capapble of a scriptor as BYG, so I really don't know, this part obviously deserve attention, just that this is a one man project here that's covering a shiteload of aspects, I can't possibly look over everyone at onces and expect to get a mod out (unless anyof us all here, including me, is willing to wait for a decade for a mod )

though I do plan on using some relatively more simplistic script that can reflect a lot of the things BYG tries to do in a less extreme fashion yes. but again different priorities clash, the biggest priorities in 5.0 will be the PSFs and new factions, those in itself will already take a long time, not to meantion there's really quite a lot of units I want to update, both east and west.

Fixing Crusades is my obsession but RW is one of the few modders froze papacy so I am interested. I already intend to make crusade Target list very small. 1390 has only Rome and SSMAP will probably have Rome Jerusalem Toledo Constantinople Vilnius and Ras. But a lot about crusades is hardcoded. So for example free upkeep on crusade is unable to be removed.
    Last edited by Ichon; May 28, 2012 at 11:59 AM.

Andytheplatypus's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    So for example free upkeep on crusade is unable to be removed.
    Doesnt really make any sense why CA did that. Historically that was one of the main issues with going "crusading", the huge expense of taking an army and logistics half way around the world.

if you want scripting help then i volunteer, thats my area of modding knowledge
    the crusade tax is fairly easy to implement if you look at bygs coding for it

but what you must do is a cost for joining and a small list of crusade targets. i mean basically
    jerusalem crusade and jihad.
    damascus jihad.
    nicaea jihad
    rome crusade
    toledo crusade

or something like that...its pretty good as it is...i dont understand damascus as a crusade target though, it was my understanding that it was an independant city state that got taken by nurah-al-din and then used as a launching pad (with aleppo) to attack the crusader states but that the crusaders never tried to take it except once and they got obliterated? (its been a while since i looked this stuff up though...)

btw i think byg 2 should be permantly implemented just saying

Andytheplatypus's Avatar Domesticus

but what you must do is a cost for joining and a small list of crusade targets. i mean basically
    damascus jihad.
    nicaea jihad
    rome crusade
    toledo crusade

or something like that...its pretty good as it is...i dont understand damascus as a crusade target though, it was my understanding that it was an independant city state that got taken by nurah-al-din and then used as a launching pad (with aleppo) to attack the crusader states but that the crusaders never tried to take it except once and they got obliterated? (its been a while since i looked this stuff up though...)

Damascus was a crusade target but the whole logistics and leadership for it meant that they didnt have much success.

damascus jihad.
    nicaea jihad
    rome crusade
    toledo crusade

yeah I already did the limiting target part, though any settlement that borders a catholic faction is still valid target by default (that's not unrealistic though, which is also why I made sure Edessa no longer border Baghdad )

Also I agree with BYG, I'm still pretty early in the development phase of 5.0 though, so it's really far from my priority, I probably will relases a experimental beta in a week or two at most that let people test the whole PSF in Balkans thing.

Any settlement that borders catholic faction is default eligible for crusade? Never knew that. What about excommunicated? That removes. Vilnius, Ras, and Toledo then. Are you sure that is correct?

BYG script is good start but I am not a fan of crusade tax. However requiring FL or Heir to join is good... Penalty to use for not joining could be money as BGR does, I d prefer faction wide unhappiness and lower population growth or trade instead of a direct tax as I think with war inflation tax going that is enough to not show on financial tab. Or perhaps a temporay bonus if FL or Heir joins with just huge upfront cost to join and option to take loan trigger by crusade start. I think 25,000 florins to join perhaps.
    Last edited by Ichon; May 28, 2012 at 07:46 PM.