Thread: [Update 2019/08/11 V 5.6!] The Historical Units Region Buildings Mod! (6 New Factions/ Units/ Map / Buildings)

beermugcarl's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: [V 4.1!] The Historical Units Region Buildings Mod! (2 New Factions/ Units/ Map / Buildings) Update 4/23

ill go for the new download then but as it stands my serbians are nameless :S but then again im usig 4.0 but with following your patches along the way

ill be right back with news

edit:

downloaded new version. the world is right again! thanks rw
    Last edited by beermugcarl; May 01, 2012 at 08:36 AM.

Default Re: [V 4.1!] The Historical Units Region Buildings Mod! (2 New Factions/ Units/ Map / Buildings) Update 4/23

ok so i just did a hotseat with my flatmate and he goes to a lecture so we save it. come back. unspecified error on load. appears as if i was lying when i said all was good. only happened to me in hotseats now that i think about it

i would really like to help more. but as i said on here and the forums. my log isnt there for some reason. but as nobody has offered any advice im afraid i shall be logless

also - still getting clones of people when they come of age

edit: just realised, no log but do have the save game. attaching.

Attachment 219418

you will have to change it to .sav of course
    Last edited by beermugcarl; May 01, 2012 at 10:41 AM.

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by WarlordZ View Post
    I have only experienced this since installing 4.1
    Very odd, i'll try a new install (for like the gazillion time) again tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Aratrahai View Post
    Sry for asking... maybe iam dump but how exactly install this mod? I downloaded 4.2 but in forum i see recent link to ver. 3.2+fix... so i need 3.2+fix and then install 4.1 ? Or i just using last version?

Thx and great mod btw!!
    4.1 is the current version, the older version is there because people were asking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Argentdawn View Post
    Did anyone get crash in AD 1142 rebel turn?(4.1version)
    That seem to correspond to the battle of qutawan event I scripted, odd, that code is fairly simple... I check it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by beermugcarl View Post
    ok so i just did a hotseat with my flatmate and he goes to a lecture so we save it. come back. unspecified error on load. appears as if i was lying when i said all was good. only happened to me in hotseats now that i think about it

i would really like to help more. but as i said on here and the forums. my log isnt there for some reason. but as nobody has offered any advice im afraid i shall be logless

also - still getting clones of people when they come of age

edit: just realised, no log but do have the save game. attaching.

Attachment 219418

you will have to change it to .sav of course
    I'll confess that I have no clue on hotseat problems, I'll check it out though.
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

strange, I checked and the battle of qatwan script fired as anticipated...
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

For future updates, the short term objective is.

1.Add in Geogia and Armenia.
    2.Balance starting position and army
    3.Continue to update units.

One aspect I want to script is in accordance to some of the previous suggestions, aka having new units being acquirable if conditionsa re met. a few obvious onces I can see are...

1.Elephant Archers, most obviously would require capturing Kerman + Herat (gaining access to India).

2. Nubian / Sudanis and a lot of the other Ghulam type of units may have triggers that would allow access if certain conditions are met by islamic factions

3.Cumans (and to a lesser extend Lithuanians) may have a complex system where they need to "gain" certain technologies.. like ship building and siege crafts.

Other unique building / system maybe possibly transfered if likewise certain conditions are met (public baths, banks, aquaducts etc.)

starting position balance needs more of a look, but right now it seems that Turks gets crushed quite badly despite having Abbasid and Kwarazem as allies from the start. while the Cumans never go anywhere and Kiev is also incrediablly weak while Novogord expand really fast. in Europe Aragon / Genoa seem to ususally expand at an unrealistically awesome pace while France expand a bit too slowly. (those two are tied, since often a lot fo southern France are gobbled up by Genoa/Aragon.)

Likely change...

A. a wider definition to Kievan Rus holding, probably include at least Chernigov / Smolensk / Novohord-Siverski

B. probably somewhat bigger starting army for Turks and less for Byz though not too sure about that. may have Byz start out with holding Bulgaria so they're likely to be in conflict with Cuman / Hungary / Serbia sooner, now that Serbia is there having Byznatiums with Bulgaria seem to make more sense balance wise.

C. probably nerf Genoa and Aragon's starting army. right now it's huge. May give france Troyes and Dijon to start as well. (since the Duchy of Burgundy at that point seem fairly in compliance with the French crown .. being an offshoot of the Capetian family to begin with.)
    Last edited by RollingWave; May 02, 2012 at 01:47 AM.

i must say as it stands the balance is pretty good
    except for personally kiev needs a bit of land east. (ive seen it loose its capital before turn 30 to the cumans a few times) and the seijuks need a larger starting army i agree.
    wont armenia AND georgia add too much to that area? who are you removing anyway?
    i cant think of many good alternatives though but i think another islamic faction would be great so i was thinking...why not rum instead if you like that area to be congested? would armenia or georgia p**s of the romans or the seijuk more?

Quote Originally Posted by beermugcarl View Post
    i must say as it stands the balance is pretty good
    except for personally kiev needs a bit of land east. (ive seen it loose its capital before turn 30 to the cumans a few times) and the seijuks need a larger starting army i agree.
    wont armenia AND georgia add too much to that area? who are you removing anyway?
    i cant think of many good alternatives though but i think another islamic faction would be great so i was thinking...why not rum instead if you like that area to be congested? would armenia or georgia p**s of the romans or the seijuk more?
    Removing Timurids (ends in 1390 no point at all) and Teutonic Order (it's unplayable anyway, will represent it's rise with Scripted rebel or HRE army).

Reason for Georgia and Armenia over Rum is he simple fact that they're more unique and diversified, where as it's already tough to sepearte Seljuqs from Khwarezmid (they're really the same thing in 1100, though I push it slightly towards fantasy realm by havign the Khwarezmid having a more heavily Persian oriented army. with insane amounts of uber heavy cavalry / infantreis similar to the Sassinids at their peak.), adding Rum only make things even tougher. it's a tough choice but something had to give . yes it will make the regions very packed but that's why it'll be fun , it's probably going to hurt the Turks more at the start obviously, but that can be addressed in many ways, the reality was that in 1100 the superpower on the map was clearly the Turks, followed by the Germans and to a lesser extend the Byzantium and Moors. all 4 had the same problem of lack of true internal unification and also with a big empire comes with a ton of enemies

The truth is that the Turks is perhaps the single most difficult faction to represent because they encompass a huge area and is really the collection of several very different entities at their peak each with different military style, the general summary can be seperated into 3 region.

1.West: Sultanate of Rum and Dashiminids retain to what was closer to the original turkish army, aka a nomaic army like system, though the influence of Armenians and various greek / Georgians also began to play a role.

2. East : became heavily persianized this includes the forces under Ahamed Sanjar (the last true Seljuq Sultan) and their vassals the Khwarezmids, thier military while obviously still retained some turkish charactoristic became increasingly similar to the Buyids / Sassinid system. so here you might see some incrediablly heavy Cavalry like the Catarphacts of old...

3.South, Mostly Mosul / Damascus / Aleppo region, became more influenced by the Kurds / Arabs / Syrians, in theory Saladin was a clear offshoot from the Seljuqs (Zenji -> Nur Ad Din-> Saladin ) for example but his army was already very different.

All 3 sides had some similarity of course, horse archery remained a big part of all 3, but increasingly all 3 area became Turk + local forces with an ever stronger inclination towards the locals (the west side is more of the exception.)
    Last edited by RollingWave; May 02, 2012 at 03:42 AM.

1. will you update or fix the 4.1 or is it the final version for now?
    2. are georgia and armenia going to be single faction or separate factions?

Quote Originally Posted by napoleonic View Post
    1. will you update or fix the 4.1 or is it the final version for now?
    2. are georgia and armenia going to be single faction or separate factions?
    will continue fix until it's more stable. I want to you know... actually play a few games, it is slightly annoying to spend a few months on doing a mod and play it for less than a day

Georgia and Armenia will obviously be two seperate factions. though they do have some shared history at this ponit they were clearly seperated entity, Georgia will obviously start with Kutausi and Armenia with Tarsus, Georgia start allied to Byzantiums while Armenia allied to the Crusaders, both at war with the Turks, Georgia will be on reasonablly good terms of the the Cumans too. while Armenia would be iffy with the Byznatiums.

but wont that make the byzantines too easy?
    im playing as them now and basically serbia was a push over, kinda. they are still alive but only because i was an idiot when i manually attacked ras i have no enemies east and while its much harder than ss6.4 its still a little easy maybe you could twist reality a bit..and remove one of the islands or give one to someone...like crusaders or venice...i know its strictly wrong but at the moment i can happily pick my enemies and thats the only thing making it a smooth game. maybe if one of my regions (even if a bit more of turkey was turkish..) then i would be forced to move faster. thats why im completely pro a bigger turkish force. just because i didnt feel threatened by them at all.
    i am playing it on vh/vh btw and it is only turn 36 but i can now fund 3 stacks. 1 completely pro. 1 semi and 1 militia/meh

RW, rather than overcrowding the anatolia and area surrounding black sea, how about adding a faction that can directly rivaling sicily? you know, all these mods and submods but there's always only sicily on that area, unchallenged and doing rather nothing too all the time, may be better to make things more unpredictable on that area...

RW, rather than overcrowding the anatolia and area surrounding black sea, how about adding a faction that can directly rivaling sicily? you know, all these mods and submods but there's always only sicily on that area, unchallenged and doing rather nothing too all the time, may be better to make things more unpredictable on that area...
    Except that was the truth of the time, the only other semi-relavent faction in that area which isn't in the game yet is the Zirid dynasty, if you never heard of it it's hard to blame ya since they were very weak at this point.

The Zirids were a breakaway part of the Fatimids, they had at their peak in the 10th century to early 11th C controlled pretty much all of Tunisia / Algeria / Morocco and also held considerable sway over the Islamic emirates of Sicily and Naples, however this isn't the 10th century, by 1100 the Zirids control was limited to just Tunisia, and more precesely speaking only the city of Tunis and Al-Mahida and nothing else, as the ENTIRE country side was overran by Bedouin raiders send by the Fatimids. whats worse was that in the 1080s a major combined italian fleet attacked their 2 main port and basically destroyed thier entire fleet as well.

So the Zirids was virtually irrelvant by 1100, they'd make more sense than Ireland I guess but that's about it. by the mid 1100s "Sicily" took out Tunis and Al-Mahida (just like it's likely to in game) and whatever little holding they had left was soon after wiped out by the Almohads.

having a tight cluster is hardly a bad thing, Iberia for example start out nearly totally clustered up, but I find it very exciting as your almost immediately in a big war with many people.

btw RW, I've asked in the SSMAP thread, how come your campaign map looks different than mine?

yours
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

mine
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

how do I get such textures?

just download SSMPAP texture is seperate from all the other files, if you DL SS MAP and play other campaigns you'll still get their texture.

^thanks, it works

btw IMO don't add georgia because SSMAP already have it, do you have other options? it's better to avoid 2 submods having the same new factions armenia is very okay though...

he can have georgia if he wants simply because the main focuses of the mods are very different.

what does SSMAP do besides map and factions change btw?

and I'm hereby reporting that the serbian priest name bug is still in my game... ups wrong, serbian patriarch name bug
    Last edited by napoleonic; May 03, 2012 at 08:54 AM.

units for the new factions. but it is pretty much entirely map orientated from a historical point of view. no new buildings. no new skins (could be wrong?). and there is a side project based around historical names. both will be combined at a later point.

uhm btw, using savage AI, the papal states always going over the italian settlements... sometimes they will enter war with HRE/venice/genoa...

uhm btw, using savage AI, the papal states always going over the italian settlements... sometimes they will enter war with HRE/venice/genoa...
    yeah I notice that too, though I'll probably just freeze the pope going forward since I'll eventually use them to pull the invisible agent to name settlement trick. also I'm checking to see what's up with Soulson's AI and the alliance thing.

I added the Northern Crusade script today (which is the preq to removing TO.), also finished adjusting the staritng position a bit to see how it'll play out. (a bit more to start for Franec and Byznatium, a lot more for Kiev)

I'll try to fix up the remaining UIs (both in terms of super ugly onces and missing onces) over the weekend, I'll release a 4.2 version with all the UIs fixed, the scripts in place and hopefully more balanced starting positions
    Last edited by RollingWave; May 03, 2012 at 10:12 AM.