Thread: [Update 2019/08/11 V 5.6!] The Historical Units Region Buildings Mod! (6 New Factions/ Units/ Map / Buildings)

Default Re: [V 4.2!] The Historical Units Region Buildings Mod! (2 New Factions/ Units/ Map / Buildings) Update 4/23

just to be safe, is it 4.3 save compatible RW?

Default Re: [V 4.2!] The Historical Units Region Buildings Mod! (2 New Factions/ Units/ Map / Buildings) Update 4/23

Warlike Pope is historical sometimes. The main problem with it to me is Pope has very strong roster and when calling Crusade every Catholic faction answers with army. If there were a way to prevent Crusades on Catholics but allow excommunication. It seems hard to script that so I've just made Rome only Crusade Target in 1390. For earlier eras its a big problem to me.

Default Re: [V 4.1!] The Historical Units Region Buildings Mod! (2 New Factions/ Units/ Map / Buildings) Update 4/23

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    Getting a CTD between turns 171 and 172 during Lithuania's turn.
    Checked the log and everything looks fine until the last 2 lines.
    20:10:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] World creation error: couldn't find unit description for unit type 'EE Auxilliary Swordsmen'.
    20:10:44.024 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Since the data.invalid error occurred 2 seconds before the crash I'm guessing its the cause.
    That's still in there, I think.

It's in the campaign_script.txt several times,
    so RW has to fix that.
    BTW, congratulations and thanks are in order for RW's hard work.
    Thank you, RW.
    EDIT: RW, in the campaign script, under the Almohad heresy/rebellion script stuff,
    some of the characters mentioned in the script have typos in their name,
    AKA Muwahhidunt instead of Muwahhidun. It is not a fatal error,
    but it's an error nonetheless.
    Last edited by Silver Legionary; May 06, 2012 at 05:36 PM.

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    Getting a CTD between turns 171 and 172 during Lithuania's turn.
    Checked the log and everything looks fine until the last 2 lines.
    20:10:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] World creation error: couldn't find unit description for unit type 'EE Auxilliary Swordsmen'.
    20:10:44.024 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Since the data.invalid error occurred 2 seconds before the crash I'm guessing its the cause.
    Sorry, that's my problem, it's the Bulgarian Uprising script that I had in there which still had an old unit that I deleted. you could either use the new versino or find the old one and open campaign_script.txt in data/world/map/campaign/imperial_campaign folder and search for that unit and delete it or replace it with something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    Warlike Pope is historical sometimes. The main problem with it to me is Pope has very strong roster and when calling Crusade every Catholic faction answers with army. If there were a way to prevent Crusades on Catholics but allow excommunication. It seems hard to script that so I've just made Rome only Crusade Target in 1390. For earlier eras its a big problem to me.
    Well yes to a limited degree the pope did go to war, but that's a very limited degree... some pope tried to expand their direct territory to the cover a little more than just rome... which usually brought them into conflict with the HRE and usually ended up in a crushing defeat on the field for the Papacy... the even more annoying part of an active pope is the ridiculas "Pope going on Crusade" that tend to happen quite often...

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Legionary View Post
    That's still in there, I think.

It's in the campaign_script.txt several times,
    so RW has to fix that.
    BTW, congratulations and thanks are in order for RW's hard work.
    Thank you, RW.
    EDIT: RW, in the campaign script, under the Almohad heresy/rebellion script stuff,
    some of the characters mentioned in the script have typos in their name,
    AKA Muwahhidunt instead of Muwahhidun. It is not a fatal error,
    but it's an error nonetheless.
    k i'll check that out.

As for competibility issue, it's really tough to answer, because sometimes save games will be screwed up with even very tiny changes...
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

any chance for 4.1 -> 4.2 update only?

Quote Originally Posted by RollingWave View Post
    Well yes to a limited degree the pope did go to war, but that's a very limited degree... some pope tried to expand their direct territory to the cover a little more than just rome... which usually brought them into conflict with the HRE and usually ended up in a crushing defeat on the field for the Papacy... the even more annoying part of an active pope is the ridiculas "Pope going on Crusade" that tend to happen quite often...
    In the earlier eras 1100-1250 Pope vs HRE Emperor was a common occurrence and the Emperors won almost every single time as all the other European powers that the Pope might call upon were engaged in other wars. However with the death of Frederick the tide reversed and the HRE was rarely interfering within Italy while the Papal States was able to successfully pull France in to counter the other independent states and keep HRE away which allowed Papal States to begin expanding outside of Rome. However France was soon in conflict with the Papacy and similarly to the HRE won nearly complete victory but installing Papacy into Avignon. In 1300s as France began to exert so much control on the Church there was a danger of the Papacy being subsumed under the French state the Papacy began looking for a way to return to Rome while the renewal of the 100 Years War provided that distraction for France.

From 14th century until 17th century the Papacy was very active and warlike and actually joining a war against excommunicated states by the Papacy was a frequent occurrence though the Pope really did not lead armies in the field. The main point though is that there was military conflict between earlier Popes and HRE with HRE being victorious. I just don't see how to successfully portray such conflicts in MTW2 engine and despite some enjoyment from fighting hordes of Swiss Guards to the challenge in the game it is very annoying to see Papacy expand to control all of Italy quite often in campaigns.

I think it will be a good experiment to have a frozen Papacy though, it could really solve some problems and allow that slot to create some interesting scripting possibilities.

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Excellent sub mod, don't tend too play MTW much but this is really good. I noticed a reference to Bulgarian uprising, is there a fourth crusade script too? Something to get the Normans interested in Dyrrachion would be good too. Keep up the good work

Signature made by Joar

Quote Originally Posted by Constantius View Post
    Excellent sub mod, don't tend too play MTW much but this is really good. I noticed a reference to Bulgarian uprising, is there a fourth crusade script too? Something to get the Normans interested in Dyrrachion would be good too. Keep up the good work
    Yes, there's a 4th crusade script too as well as a 2nd crusade script and a northern crusade scriptt.
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

4.1-->4.2 patch?

why do miles have longer recruitment cycle than the more advanced type of knights?

so why was I being ignored? did I do something wrong? anyway I have an important question : why do the arabian deserts' battlefield not really looks like deserts? they are more like arid climate than desert...

4.1-4.2, a lot of it was UI files that I lose track of, sry a bit too hard to do that, will probably release a standalone fix for a few other issue I notice soon though.

Miles : not sure, probably oversight.

Arabian Desert: huh? whell I didn't change anything there so I'm erally not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by napoleonic View Post
    so why was I being ignored? did I do something wrong? anyway I have an important question : why do the arabian deserts' battlefield not really looks like deserts? they are more like arid climate than desert...
    Where in the desert are you talking? Alot of the desert was more very arid than sand dune desert which is mostly limited to areas of the Sahara and some parts of Nejd in the central Arabia. Northern parts of Arabia still occasionally have snow in winter and that seems to have been more common in 12th century than now.

Quote Originally Posted by RollingWave View Post
    4.1-4.2, a lot of it was UI files that I lose track of, sry a bit too hard to do that, will probably release a standalone fix for a few other issue I notice soon though.

Miles : not sure, probably oversight.

Arabian Desert: huh? whell I didn't change anything there so I'm erally not sure.
    well I already using 4.2, it's fine if you can't give little patches, although if the files getting bigger significantly it will not make my life easier when downloading

about miles, yes they are more like 20 turns cycle than 13 turns found in ritter, chevallier and other kind of advanced knights

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    Where in the desert are you talking? Alot of the desert was more very arid than sand dune desert which is mostly limited to areas of the Sahara and some parts of Nejd in the central Arabia. Northern parts of Arabia still occasionally have snow in winter and that seems to have been more common in 12th century than now.
    about arabian arid, I was battling in around egypt and israel and they looked like anatolian area is that normal?

anything other what i need know about instalation? do i need previous version or can put 4.2 --- and if are some handfixes which are not written on 1st page plis shortly describe it i wanna try this sm.

well I already using 4.2, it's fine if you can't give little patches, although if the files getting bigger significantly it will not make my life easier when downloading
    about arabian arid, I was battling in around egypt and israel and they looked like anatolian area is that normal?
    I'll try to keep an eye out for reducing the size somewhat (there may be a few excessive file here and there) but in general obviously you have to understand that the more comprehensive a mod is the bigger it's going to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroslav View Post
    anything other what i need know about instalation? do i need previous version or can put 4.2 --- and if are some handfixes which are not written on 1st page plis shortly describe it i wanna try this sm.
    No, basically all the version with link are standalones, if i release patchs it will be attached to the post. just copy the data folder over the SS data folder then run the setup.exe in the SS folder again and select HURB campaign and the other submods you want to use. (don't work with BGR V and probably not permenant watchtowers either, most everything else works though.

nah it's fine RW...

and about the desert? I find it odd that south of cairo and near rafah are arid land? shouldn't they be like sahara? and the campaign map surely doesn't give the impression of such areas being arid...

nah it's fine RW...

and about the desert? I find it odd that south of cairo and near rafah are arid land? shouldn't they be like sahara? and the campaign map surely doesn't give the impression of such areas being arid...
    I'll have to check, you have to realize that battlemap / campaign map generation is based on the combination of climate and ground type though. and alot of it is hard coded and pretty much all trial and error, for the south of Rafah thing it is likely that the climate there is define as mediterranian or something.

I just realize something still very related to the desert->arid climate/terrain thing, yesterday I lost a fight (I was intending to sacrifice them though, as I can't pay the upkeep; this was the fight I said to you near Rafah, specifically, east Rafah, very near the borderline between Rafah and Judea/Jerusalem region) against CS modest army with my troops consisted of mostly ghazis and muttatawia (sp? they were leftover from jihad army), after got an upper hand for a while, gotta wonder :

1. does the whole arabian troops have combat bonus in desert still there? which units? probably a long list, so you can tell me which value indicate it on EDU?
    2. about that combat bonus, what kind of bonus is it actually? atk/def/stamina/morale?
    3. does it actually tied to the whole battlefield climate thing? so since I'm sure I was battling on somewhat more arid like terrain than saharan terrain, were my troops not getting desert combat bonus?

if the whole climate thing is broken then surely it need fix ASAP otherwise playing as muslim/arabian factions or with arabian army have big disadvantage / imbalance now.
    Last edited by napoleonic; May 10, 2012 at 11:08 PM.

I just realize something still very related to the desert->arid climate/terrain thing, yesterday I lost a fight (I was intending to sacrifice them though, as I can't pay the upkeep; this was the fight I said to you near Rafah, specifically, east Rafah, very near the borderline between Rafah and Judea/Jerusalem region) against CS modest army with my troops consisted of mostly ghazis and muttatawia (sp? they were leftover from jihad army), after got an upper hand for a while, gotta wonder :

1. does the whole arabian troops have combat bonus in desert still there? which units? probably a long list, so you can tell me which value indicate it on EDU?
    2. about that combat bonus, what kind of bonus is it actually? atk/def/stamina/morale?
    3. does it actually tied to the whole battlefield climate thing? so since I'm sure I was battling on somewhat more arid like terrain than saharan terrain, were my troops not getting desert combat bonus?

if the whole climate thing is broken then surely it need fix ASAP otherwise playing as muslim/arabian factions or with arabian army have big disadvantage / imbalance now.
    1. most have positive combat bonus there but the game only literally say "combat bonus in xxx" if you set it very high, and IIRC I only set some of "true" desert units (bedouins, camels etc) that high, however most units with any sort of serious armor have negative desert bonus anyway. (really no matter the faction), I don't have files with me at the moment but it's at the lower parts of a unit entry, something liek terrain modifier and followed by a string of 4 numbers like 0, -1, -2, 2 , the order is scrub / sand /forest / snow. though I think scrub is more of a RTW thing but again I'm not ure. IIRC you need a value greater than 3 to have the game says effective in XXX

2. it's mostly attack / def IIRC

3. good question.. I'm really not sure, the definition of desert is tougher than snow /woods which is pretty obvious, I'm really not quite sure, obviously a true desert would count but anything else? I've never really seen anyone thoroughly explain that, though if you run test off say.. Tuareg camels vs Feudal Knights in pyriamid of pain custom battle then the effect is extremely obvious.. as the Tuaregs will win about 60-70% of the time despite wearing no armour and no shield and not particuarly good stats.
    Last edited by RollingWave; May 10, 2012 at 11:24 PM.